By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russell Eberhardt

Here is a list of all the postings Russell Eberhardt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My First Stationary Engine
23/01/2020 08:57:46

Are you sure the o-ring is 1.5 mm cross section? The nearest UK standard size would be 1.6 mm. Tubal Cain recommends (in his Model Engineer's Handbook) a groove width of 2.3 to 2.5 mm and depth of 1.18 to 1.25 mm. The width is greater than the ring cross section to allow for the compression of the ring. I would start at the tighter end of the tolerances, try it, and adjust to get a good feel for the fit. Yes, silicone is good.

Russell

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
22/01/2020 09:39:04
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/01/2020 19:21:50:

The whole argument is built on ignorance of the actual etymology of 'braze/'brazing' which has nothing to do with brass, but comes from an old French word for (wait for it) - soldering, that itself evolved from words relating to exposure to heat. So it's closer to braising steak than brass.

Even more confusing, current French uses "Soudage" for soft soldering, silver soldering, and welding. The French term "brazage" refers to using a brass (laiton) filler.

Russell

Thread: Caliper friction washers
22/01/2020 09:28:22

How about this: **LINK**

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/ca584-hard-red-fibre-sheet-0-8mm-thick

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 22/01/2020 09:29:05

Thread: Apologies for raising this again
19/01/2020 19:07:46

The flywheel fits to the crankshaft by a short taper. You can turn a matching taper in the lathe with a short threaded section for a holding nut. Fit the flywheel to that and it will run true and should turn easily.

Russell

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
18/01/2020 19:44:49

I've allways had good service from Speedy Cables (London) Ltd. They will make cables to your spec.

Russell

Thread: Build a watchmakers lathe
14/12/2019 11:13:54
Posted by Bandersnatch on 13/12/2019 18:28:20:

When I follow those links and get to this, I see drawings .... or am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks, I was looking at the magazine in the archive and didn't see that.

Russell

13/12/2019 15:54:24
Posted by daveb on 12/12/2019 13:58:33:

There was a design for a watchmakers type lathe in one of the early MEWs.

Issue 7, reprint on this site, black bar near top of page, click workshop, click tools, click simple lathe.

Edited By daveb on 12/12/2019 14:07:46

Interesting article but it's a shame that the pull out sheet of drawings isn't there.

Russell

12/12/2019 10:01:14

Sounds like an interesting project. I would be inclined to use silver steel for the bed and not harden it for fear of distortion. ER 11 collets should be fine unless you want to grip anything below 0.5 mm. This would be a good start for the head-stock spindle.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Milling-Collet-Chucks-Straight-Shank/ER11-Straight-Shank-Chuck-with-Mini-Nut

Russell

Thread: Meddings Pillar Drill, VFD and referb
12/12/2019 09:47:24
Posted by not done it yet on 10/12/2019 21:05:22:

However, cooling will be much reduced as the motor fan will be running at half speed (air flow reduced to a quarter at least).

The motor the OP linked to is designed for inverter use and is rated for input frequency from 5 Hz to 75 Hz. It has better cooling than standard motors. I fitted the same motor to my lathe several years ago and have never had over-heating problems. I still change belts occasionally but can't remember when I last used back gear.

Russell

Thread: Beginners models
08/12/2019 10:24:26

Collets are certainly not necessary although they do help.

I built Tubal Cain's beam engine Mary as my first model. Following Tubal Cain's book made it very easy with just a lathe (and no collets).

mary.jpg

Russell

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
07/12/2019 09:42:24
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/12/2019 18:53:10:

Toeing and heeling, anyone?

Neil

. . . and what about double de-clutching? Synchromesh is for wimps devil

Russell

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
30/11/2019 16:48:55
Posted by Clive India on 29/11/2019 16:49:42:

Has anyone gone for split aircon units - keep you warm in winter, cool in summer?

Yes, had one for heating/cooling in the house for a couple of years. The latest inverter models are very efficient with a typical COP of about 4.5 for heating. So for every 1 kWh of electricity used they will produce 4.5 kWh of heat. They used to be impractical in cold areas but the latest Toshiba units are rated for heating down to -20 C outside. However the COP does drop at low outdoor temperatures and they can be slow to start when it is really cold as they have to go through a pre-heating cycle in the outdoor unit. Here, where the night time temperature never goes below -8 C they are highly recommended.

Russell

Thread: Lathe boring tool - top rake?
19/11/2019 09:40:04
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 19/11/2019 09:21:58:

Positive rake cutters are weaker, blunt faster and use more power to remove a given amount of metal than negative rate types. But they have important advantages too: less force is required to make cuts, and it's easier to get good finish. They're good for fine delicate work.

Err ... power = force x velocity

So less force at the same or lower speed means lower power. Certainly production costs are lower with carbide but that includes machine time and tool sharpening costs, not relevant for most of us.

Russell

Thread: Ornamental Turning
17/11/2019 11:45:57

You might be interested in this clickspring video. He uses a mill but the same thing could be done on a lathe with a dividing head mounted on the cross slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Ai5F8O3iI

Russell

Thread: Fusible plugs for model loco boilers
17/11/2019 11:04:32
Posted by Robin King on 17/11/2019 10:15:57:

At the boiler inspectors seminar in Cardiff last month one of the speakers was David Vere and his view was that fusible plugs were problematic for a number of reasons not least being scale build up on the water side, combustion product deposits on fire side, and the difficulty of obtaining an alloy for the core which is suitable for the working pressure/temperature of the boiler.

I guess that's why the minimum diameter is specified - less likely to get blocked. However dismissing them as problematic is a bit strange. They can't be any worse than not having one at all even if they don't work!

Russell

Thread: Smiths Astral Clock
16/11/2019 11:01:57

How did you clean it? Have you lubricated it? What oil did you use? Platform escapements are very delicate and need a watch oil.

Russell

Thread: Fusible plugs for model loco boilers
16/11/2019 10:32:00

That does seem to be rather small. Here in France fusible plugs are recommended for any boiler used for public running and the smallest size in the recommendation is 1/4 Gas, that is just over 1/2 inch OD.

Russell

Thread: Milling Sub Table
14/11/2019 09:26:12

Try MEW issue 100, page 26

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 14/11/2019 09:27:02

Thread: Loctite
14/11/2019 08:55:25

For me, the shelf life is determined by the state of the outside of the bottles. No matter how careful I am, the outside of each bottle gradually builds up a sticky residue that is almost impossible to remove with solvents but gets all over my fingers!

Russell

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
04/11/2019 10:09:32
Posted by RMA on 04/11/2019 09:19:57:

My lathe came with a chuck key fitted with a spring so it's impossible to leave it in the chuck.

Those things are all well and good as long as you have strength and flexibility in your hands and wrists. As one gets older and arthritis sets in they are as bad as child proof bottles for medicines!

Russell

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest