By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russell Eberhardt

Here is a list of all the postings Russell Eberhardt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: angle plate
20/10/2019 15:47:27

Norman, when I did this many years ago I started by machining a pair of circular squares on the lathe, clamped them vertically to the mill table, and then clamped the square to be machined to those. That way you don't need an accurate square to start with.

Russell

Thread: VPN?
17/10/2019 08:05:40

I use a VPN called IPVanish. Very easy to use on various platforms. I use it when wanting to access web sites that are normally restricted to UK users but they have servers throughout the world.

Russell

Thread: Exactly...
10/10/2019 11:38:12

Another interesting book by the same author is "Bomb, Book, and Compass". Well worth a read.

Russell

Thread: Oiling an old clock
06/10/2019 19:32:11

Do dismantle it for cleaning. You won't get the dirt out of the pivot holes otherwise. If you're not familiar with clocks take photos at stages so that you can see how it goes back together and remember to let the springs down carefully by releasing the ratchet while controlling the spring with the winding key. Don't try removing the springs from their barrels unless you are sure of what you're doing. There is a lot of energy stored in them.

Use clock cleaning fluid and clock oil from a supplier such as Meadows and Passemore or Cousins. The proper cleaning fluid will not only remove old oil and dirt but also the tarnish on brass. Finish cleaning the pivot holes with fine wooden pegs.

Russell

Thread: John Parslow skeleton clock
04/10/2019 15:00:22

Hi David,

The intermediate wheel doesn't sit on the arbour but is rivited onto a machined taper section on the intermediate pinion. In the magazine article this is shown in Fig 12. I'm not sure if it is the same number in the book.

Russell

Thread: Filter Design Wizard
03/10/2019 08:49:02
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 01/10/2019 12:34:54:Ah, I see Kiwi Bloke is using Linux, in which case he's probably out of luck for a simple simulator.

QUCS is a relatively easy to use simulator for Linux. Alternatively I find LTSpice works well under Wine.

Russell

Thread: Are there any left?
11/09/2019 10:31:13
Posted by Martin Kyte on 10/09/2019 10:57:02:

Well there was H Gee in Cambridge up untill a few weeks ago when Gee's burnt down. Appropriately due to an electrical fault.

**LINK**

I did visit about 6 years back for a cheap soldering iron and the shop was identical to how I remembered from my college days including the staff.

regards Martin

Sad news indeed. I used to visit him about 20 years ago when I lived near Cambridge. Always a good stock of components including some obscure parts.

Russell

Thread: How to upset the neighbours!
09/09/2019 15:44:35

Now this was seriously noisy:

fraser nash

1934 Fraser Nash fitted with a tuned 1937 BMW straight six engine. The slight bulge that can be seen in the exhaust pipe is a token silencer - no baffles!

Russell

Thread: Hints and tips for cutting small(ish) male threads with a die
09/09/2019 15:33:37

The major diameter of an M3 screw should be just under 2.9 mm so you could start with that diameter. A few thou can make quite a difference at these small sizes. A good lubricant is Rocol RTD compound. I had difficulty with 12 BA (1.3 mm dia.) threads breaking off in the die until I was given a bit of RTD compound to try.

Russell

Thread: Tool post project
06/09/2019 11:20:40
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 06/09/2019 00:29:10:

I think you've gone backwards: that's added a lot of extra machining to each toolholder - you need a lot of them, so that's important - that doesn't justify its existence. That's why I like John Stevenson's suggestion to reverse the dovetails on a more traditional style post, and put the male dovetail on the holders.

Agreed. I made one to his design but enlarged a little for a 5" lathe over ten years ago and have been very happy with it. Other than the ease of making the holders it has the advantage that two holders can be fitted at right angles to each other. I would post a photo but both my camera and phone have flat batteries at the moment.

Details of the design are still on line here.

Russell

Thread: Decent Demagnetiser?
05/09/2019 19:33:55

I made a very crude demagnetiser for my three jaw chuck jaws using an old instant soldering iron:

demag.jpg

It took five minutes to make and did the job. Much quicker than buying one!

Russell

Thread: Fitzroy storm glass
04/09/2019 15:11:12

Here in France we can buy "Alcohol à Bruler" (burning alcohol) which is 90% ethanol and has no colouring. That should work and is available at most supermarkets. So if you know someone doing a wine buying day trip across the channel you could ask them to get some. It costs about €1/litre.

You might find the potassium nitrate a problem as it can be used in explosives.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 04/09/2019 15:15:54

Thread: Painting and Finishing
04/09/2019 14:55:39

The best guide to painting models I've seen is "How (not) to Paint a Locomotive" by Christopher Vine.

Russell

Thread: What hand protection do you use?
04/09/2019 10:53:08

When I was at school, on entering the metalwork shop we had to rub a few drops of oil into our hands to protect the machines. I still do the same on hot sweaty days but wash well afterwards and moisturise with O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream. That works for me.

Russell

Thread: Help choosing a Chinese lathe please
03/09/2019 10:48:19
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/09/2019 21:03:35:
If it goes wrong, ArcEuro probably have the best reputation for service, and I've had good service from Warco.

I would second that. Choosing a supplier known for good after sales service is probably the most important choice for a beginner to make.

Russell

Thread: Not Your Modern Lathe Tools
01/09/2019 10:13:41
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 31/08/2019 11:24:10:

Ah, I've been looking for vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce. I did find a gluten-free version but it wasn't very realistic.

Impossible, it wouldn't be Worcestershire Sauce without the fermented fish!

**LINK**

Russell

Thread: Binding leadscrew.
31/08/2019 19:47:18

Hello Reman,

Have you seen this site?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/ideal/

Russell

Thread: M4 x 0.75mm pitch CSk machine screws
23/08/2019 10:45:41

Just found this on a French site:

**LINK**

It is a bit expensive but if you need a number of screws . . .

The interesting thing is that the dies are made by Dormer to BS1127:1950!

Russell

23/08/2019 10:33:35

It would almost certainly be French Automobile Thread, a slightly different spec. to the old French Metric Thread. I still have a few taps and dies for it from working on vintage Morris cars which used French Automobile thread on their engines but with W.W. hexagon sizes so that UK garages could use their existing spanners. Unfortunately I don't have a 4 x 0.75 die - sorry.

For reference the spec for French Automobile Thread can be found about 2/3 of the way down this page:

**LINK**

Russell

Thread: Digital calipers made in same factory?
15/08/2019 09:53:35
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 15/08/2019 00:06:04:

Genuine or fake? Just to put peoples minds at rest, I bought the Moore & Wright and Mitutoyo both from Machine DRO. They don't sell fake stuff.

The M & W one is not correctly CE marked so it is currently illegal to sell in the U.K. so is it genuine? Still if Boris has his way any old rubbish will be legally available.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 15/08/2019 09:54:18

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest