By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russell Eberhardt

Here is a list of all the postings Russell Eberhardt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pulley Sizes For An X2 Clone Conversion
23/06/2020 11:13:05

Have a look at timing belts and pulleys. The pulleys are available down to 10 tooth. I used a pair for my cnc conversion of an SX2P to enable me to move the motor closer to the spindle and give room for the z-axis drive. No problems with it.

Russell

Thread: Wooden Gears
14/06/2020 17:07:43

Robbibs Timber supply marine ply to BS standards from 1.5 mm up. 5 mm up is available in five or more ply. Varnishing with epoxy resin should give good strength. They can supply full sheets or cut to size. I've had excellent service including delivery to France.

Russell

Thread: Beginner's engine build. Simplex 5"g.
09/06/2020 11:26:21

I may have missed it but I don't think anyone has mentioned yet the need to aneal the frame material before cutting. If you are using BMS it tends to distort after cutting out for the axle boxes.

Russell

Thread: DraftSight no longer free
04/06/2020 15:01:01

I recently received an email from Dassault asking me to complete a survey about Draftight. I told them what I think of them!

Russell

Thread: Oscilloscope kits - any recommendations?
10/05/2020 10:46:24

Have a look at BitScope. It is both a dual channel analogue scope and a simple logic analyser for use with a computer via USB.

**LINK**

Russell

Thread: 9x19 / 9x20 lathe gearing
29/04/2020 10:50:44

Don't worry if you have a gear or two missing. They are easy make if you have access to a 3D printer. See here

I've been using a gear printed in PLA for about a year now on my slightly bigger lathe with no problems. It makes a quieter machine.

Russell

Thread: Corona virus testing
24/04/2020 10:06:25
Posted by robert eggleston on 24/04/2020 02:36:04:Heaven above only knows we have enough of CV info 24 hrs per day on this side of the pond without having to view it from your side of the pond also.

Hi Robert

Perhaps you could fill in your profile then we would know which side of which pond you live.

Russell

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
21/04/2020 11:09:45

Greatly reduced levels of CO2 and NOx emissions.

Russell

Thread: Inconsistent access to MEW archive
21/04/2020 10:16:36

I can understand MTM's reluctance to pay for the effort of translating the archive material from Flash to HTML5 given that the income from that would be practically zero. However, I presume that they have access to the original scans in PDF format or something easily translated.

The argument against making the archive available in an easily saved format is that it would help the pirates. On the contrary, assuming pirate copies are already in the wild, it would reduce the income of the pirates as their pirate copies would become worthless. Putting PDF copies on the site would be a very simple exercise and cost very little. Agreed there will be little return except for keeping their customer base happy.

Russell

20/04/2020 16:54:16

Yes, I have recently started getting a message when I fire up Chrome telling me that Flash will no longer be supported after the end of 2020. It looks as if some work is going to be needed on the archives.

Russell

Thread: fresh meat
18/04/2020 10:37:01

Harold Hall's book, "Lathework a Complete Course" is a good start.

Russell

Thread: Electrical help please
15/04/2020 11:36:55

Could the problem be that the impulse is being applied too frequently? Perhaps due to excessive friction somewhere. I have no experience of that clock but I see that it uses ball bearings for the balance staff. They are usually supplied in a greased condition and for clock use should be run dry to minimise friction. Did you wash them out thoroughly? Just an idea.

Russell

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
14/04/2020 11:12:31

Listening to "Journey Into Space" on the Wireless.  Oh and "The Adventures of Dan Dare every evening on Radio Luxembourg.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 14/04/2020 11:52:01

Thread: What are you doing to stay safe
30/03/2020 11:33:57

Any thoughts on FFP1 masks as opposed to the recommended FFP2? I have a couple of the former in the workshop for dusty jobs.

Russell

Thread: Arc Euro and Coronavirus
29/03/2020 19:52:12

Ketan,

Best wishes to you and all the staff at ARC from France where we are further into the infection curve than you guys. Hang in there and I'm sure I'll have a shopping list for you when you can re-open.

Russell

Thread: Sanitizer
25/03/2020 15:55:30

Reply from makers of Swarfega:

"Good morning

There are two ways to deal with germs (the collective name for bacteria, viruses and fungi).

We can kill them (with hand sanitisers) or we can physically wash them off (with soap and water if the hands are not too dirty, or with heavy duty hand cleaners if they are dirty).

Swarfega will do the latter. As long as the hand cleaning is thorough, any germs on the skin will be removed as part of the process – it’s the physical action that takes them away.

This is in line with WHO recommendations.

I’d recommend a second wash before eating, with just a normal soap (it can be antibac or plain, it won’t really make much difference), really just as an extra precaution.

In terms of keeping skin healthy, use the mildest cleaner possible – so if your team aren’t getting dirty at times just use a normal soap and only use the Swarfega Orange when they do get dirty (this will help look after the skin with the increased number of handwashes they’re likely to do).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Pam"

I'll stick with the recommended soap and water.

Russell

Thread: Keeping busy
23/03/2020 16:46:43

Cooking, cleaning, shopping. We have had to stop our twice weekly cleaning lady coming and my wife's physiotherapist isn't allowed to work at present sad

Designing a support for my mobile while video-phoning the kids on CAD.

Russell

Thread: ASK FOR OR OFFER TO TALK HERE
23/03/2020 16:40:35
Posted by ega on 23/03/2020 16:30:43

Wouldn't it promote these ideas if those who are willing to communicate gave at least some minimal information about themselves in their public profiles?

Yes! Even just a rough location would help. Just county and country?

Russell

Thread: Sanitizer
23/03/2020 09:03:49
Posted by Anthony Knights on 23/03/2020 05:40:33:

Just a thought. I use Swarfega which seems to get rid of all sorts of oil, grease etc. Just wonder if it would dissolve the virus?

Probably. Viruses are held together by a fatty layer. Remove that and the virus falls apart. So I would imagine that, like soap, Swarfega should remove that layer. Best to check with Deb though. I have just emailed them. If I get a reply I'll post it.

Russell

Thread: Sieving
22/03/2020 09:34:54
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/03/2020 17:14:17:I've just finished the second half of some carrot and coriander I made. No taste of coriander and virtually none of carrot

If it's coriander leaves, just add them right at the end of cooking, just before blitzing.

Russell

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest