By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russell Eberhardt

Here is a list of all the postings Russell Eberhardt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Covid
15/04/2021 11:16:59
Posted by Hopper on 14/04/2021 23:07:48:

And remember that journalists were all those kids who failed math in highschool and took English instead.

They now go to a new university, take "Media Studies", and end up virtually unemployable.

Russell

14/04/2021 15:44:12
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 18/03/2021 21:28:41:

Finally, one thing that always concerns me is the number of people claiming to know better than those paid experts. If those "know-alls" are so clever, why aren't they offering their services to HMG?

The trouble is that a lot of them are in government! That's certainly the case here in France, they've been totally ignoring the experts and as a result we have the highest infection rate in Europe.

Russell

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
14/04/2021 11:29:33

I have the same problem in reverse. It is expensive and uncertain to have anything from delivered by courier from the U.K.  

Small items that can be sent by Royal Mail and are valued at less than €43 arrive here in France by La Poste with no fees or VAT to pay if it is to a private address. Doesn't help Fizzy though.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 14/04/2021 11:30:34

Thread: BSW
11/04/2021 14:43:36

There's a handy little program on the Lathes.co.uk website called NthreadsP which will solve all your screwcutting problems.

Russell

Thread: (bicycle) thread identification?
09/04/2021 11:07:29

Try **LINK**

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/british-standard-cycle-thread-d_2041.html

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 09/04/2021 11:07:54

Thread: Anti seize grease on Myford spindle nose?
08/04/2021 10:53:44

I would have thought ordinary brown paper would absorb water and promote rust, a particular problem at sea! Perhaps the workshop stocked something like James Walker's Gaskoid which looks like brown paper.

Russell

Thread: Steel Rule Graduations Re-Blacking
04/04/2021 10:43:55
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/04/2021 23:40:26:

The traditional material is gunge from the swarf tray...

Neil

Applied by loosing the rule for a few weeks under the swarf? smiley

Russell

Thread: Wire Gauge Drills
02/04/2021 15:07:14

I believe they were originally based on Stubs steel wire gauge, not to be confused with Stubs iron wire gauge!

Russell

Thread: 1.1 kw brushed motor Torque
30/03/2021 09:54:34

If looking for a variable speed lathe I would want to make sure that it has a low speed range by means of a belt position change to make sure of enough torque available at low speeds.

Russell

Thread: Anyone done any Nickel or Chrome plating of mild steel parts at home?
25/03/2021 11:37:28

Years ago I did the nickel plating on the 1929 Morris Cowley shown in my album. I used a recipe that I found in a book from the University chemistry department. Unfortunately I no longer have the recipe. It used some nasty chemicals which were easy to obtain from an industrial supplier at the time. All was done on brass items. For it to adhere properly and last on steel you must copper plate first and you need a cyanide bath to do that well.

If I was doing it now I think I would go to a commercial plating firm.

Russell

Thread: A home-made gear - will it work?
24/03/2021 10:57:48

Have you considered 3D printing? I have used a 3D printed compound gear in my Atlas lathe screw cutting gear train for over a year with no problems. It was made as an experiment and has been left in place as it runs quieter than the Mazac gear.

Russell

Thread: brushless DC motor for mini lathe
22/03/2021 10:11:52
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/03/2021 09:07:40:
Here’s a link to one ‘U.K. Supplier’ of such items: **LINK**

https://vevor.co.uk/products/sewing-machine-motor-220v-750w-brushless-energy-saving-servo-motor-industrial

MichaelG.

That looks to be good value. It doesn't have a servo though, it's an ac induction motor with an inverter. Nothing wrong with that but I do wish suppliers would describe products accurately.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 22/03/2021 10:12:34

Thread: The Secret Science of Sewage
20/03/2021 10:39:28

For anyone not in the UK and can't get iPlayer "The Secret Science of Sewage" is on Youtube:

The Secret Science of Sewage

Russell

Thread: Pictures in posts and font sizes.
20/03/2021 09:48:39
Posted by Phil Meaken on 19/03/2021 11:45:19:
Russell, that book looks like just what I need, so I've ordered it via Amazon.

Good luck and have fun!

Thread: Gasket jointing compound
19/03/2021 10:39:36
Posted by Phil P on 19/03/2021 10:22:35:

It is not advisable use silicone sealant on your Austin 7 head gasket, that is if you ever intend to remove the head again.

Agreed, I used to just give the gasket a thin smear of grease. It made head removal easier for the frequent de-coke!

Russell

Thread: Pictures in posts and font sizes.
19/03/2021 10:35:21

"Nonetheless, provided you know what you're doing, command line methods often faster to invoke and more efficient in operation."

Agreed Dave. When I first started using Linux (in the mid 1990s with Red Hat Linux) I spent many happy hours with the manuals and still occasionally refer to Blum's 800 page "Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible".

Russell

19/03/2021 09:31:10
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/03/2021 16:34:23:

The easiest way on Linux to convert images to different formats is with the imagemajick package. On ubuntu,

• open a terminal with ctrl-alt-t
  • Type:
    • sudo apt update
    • sudo apt upgrade
    • sudo apt install imagemagick

Then:

convert filename.bmp filename.jpg

does what's expected - convert

Not sure that's the easiest way for beginners! Yes Imagemagick is a very versatile bit of software but is command line only. Perhaps an easier way would be to install Converscreen which acts as a graphical front end ti Imagemagick and will convert and resize almost any image format. Even works on Windows as well!

Russell

18/03/2021 15:36:02
Posted by Phil Meaken on 18/03/2021 10:33:09:

"My pics are usually from text with .odt from LibreOffice but I can convert them to .docx or .bmp easily.
Or .bmp from a scanner."

Install Xviewer which can be used to view a number of formats and you can save from it in .jpg format.

Russell

Thread: Gasket jointing compound
18/03/2021 11:06:47

If the surfaces are good don't use any gunge at all. If it's really necessary try Hylomar Blue which was developed by Rolls Royce.

Russell

Thread: Windows for the scrap bin?
18/03/2021 10:58:34

I agree that Windows updates are a pain. Linux updates in the background while you are using it, in most cases no need to reboot.

I have both Windows and Linux on both my laptop and desktop machines and rarely use Windows - just for Fusion 360. I find Linux is faster, more secure, and more reliable. Give it a go.

Russell (using Linux Mint Cinnamon)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest