By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russell Eberhardt

Here is a list of all the postings Russell Eberhardt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First Clock in Metric
19/10/2021 09:11:27

Hi Iain,

My first clock was John Parslow's design for a 15 day skeleton clock, published in ME about 10 years ago. I started a thread on the clock here. The build articles will be available in the ME archive.

Some pictures of my build are to be found in my album. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Russell

Thread: Grinding tool bits
01/10/2021 19:24:01

The curvature on the front face of the tool won't cause any problem. In fact it can be an advantage as you only need to hone the top and bottom of the front face so much quicker.

To cut down a long toolbit I just use an angle grinder with an abrasive (not diamond!) cutting disk or occasionally the notch and hammer technique.

Russell

Thread: KNEW Piercing-Saw Frames
30/09/2021 18:46:02

Never had any problems with my Eclipse frame. The ability to rotate the blade would be useful on occasions though.

Russell

Thread: Chatter/finish problem
30/09/2021 16:29:32

Well done Steve. You are definately getting there.

Russell

29/09/2021 16:38:28

The bronze (not brass) bush in the headstock is split for adjustment. The grub screw is to stop it rotating and shouldn't compress the bush. The casting the into which the bush is fitted is also split so tightening the hex headed bolt will compress the bush to take up slight wear. I would imagine that there should be a stack of shims in the slot in that casting to control how far the compression goes. Thet would allow the bolt to be done up tight without locking the spindle.

Have you seen the section on Zyto lathes on lathes.co.uk ?

Russell

Thread: Scam
28/09/2021 19:10:31
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 28/09/2021 09:11:32:

Why I thought it could be a scam is the spelling for modeling was incorrect plus the pointy arrow, Ive been caught out in the past by a pointy arrow and have never clicked on one since.

The banner with the arrow is just an animated GIF image. Perfectly O.K.

Russell

Thread: Old rule divisions twelfs etc
28/09/2021 19:04:55

It's known as a scale rule.

Russell

Thread: Chatter/finish problem
28/09/2021 19:01:52
Posted by Dave Halford on 28/09/2021 16:33:42:

I get the rotation, it's the little flat that you ground on the point to widen it looks to have no clearance

Agreed. It will in fact give a severe negative rake to the cutting point.

If you want to have a small flat, or a rounding, on the point it should be ground all the way down the leading edge.  The top of the tool must remain flat.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 28/09/2021 19:03:17

27/09/2021 19:11:50

You might find this link useful:

**LINK**

http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/tips/toolgrinding/toolgrinding.htm

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 27/09/2021 19:12:36

Thread: Hello, from Spain
22/09/2021 14:00:32

Burgos, que parece un casco antiguo interesante.

Russell

22/09/2021 10:13:36

Welcome to the forum Fernando. I am in France, about 25 km from the Spanish border.

Russell

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
21/09/2021 10:36:23

Back to the food shortage problem; Isn't it possible to change over to nitrogen in the packaging? I seem to remember that's what was used in the past.

Another possibility is just to use air from which most of the oxygen has been removed. A molecular sieve is used to extract oxygen from the air for medical use.

Russell

Thread: Cutting Steel Plate.
19/09/2021 15:01:43

Plasma cutters are becoming quite cheap now:

Lidl plasma cutter

Don't know if they will deliver to UK now following Brexit.

Russell

Thread: Myford boring bar help
19/09/2021 11:22:20
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 19/09/2021 09:58:40:

I then made one to the Geo. Thomas design and had no further problems.

+1 for the GHT between centres boring bar. Not only easy to adjust but easy to measure the tool projection.

Russell

Thread: A Couple of Questions about Pipe?
18/09/2021 19:53:11

Just be careful how you ask for pipe in France! devil

Russell

Thread: CNC conversation or pro made?
17/09/2021 19:33:26

I too converted an SX2P mill. Build thread is on MYCNCUK forum Here:

**LINK**

For motor cycle work I would consider a slightly heavier machine. I've found the SX2P more than adequate for model engineering and clock making. Total cost for the machine, conversion, and software was about €1,000 but prices have gone up since.

Russell

Thread: Deburring Tool
17/09/2021 18:56:24

I wonder why it took so long to be granted?

Russell

Thread: Clive Sinclar
17/09/2021 18:47:08
Posted by Michael Briggs on 17/09/2021 17:25:05:

Rpn is still my preferred choice using a couple of vintage HP calculators.

My preferred choice as well, no need for brackets. I still use my HP 32s or, if I haven't my calculator at hand, the RealCalc app on my Android phone.

Russell

17/09/2021 15:03:40

Anyone else built one of these. A class D amplifier with a claimed 10 W output from the early 1960s. You were lucky to get 2 W out of it and it produced copious amounts of TV and radio inteference:

Sinclair X10

About ten years later I was working on low power circuitry for a portable TV using a special channel plate CRT at the Mullard Research Labs and was given a Sinclair MTV1 television to test. In one word, rubbish!

Sinclair MTV1

However he did do a good job in popularising cheap home computers.

Russell

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 17/09/2021 15:07:58

Thread: Parametric design bug
12/09/2021 16:14:11

Ian T recently posted a link to a video showing a bug in Freecad:

FreeCAD is Fundamentally Broken

As I have the three packages above installed on my laptop I thought I'd try to replicate what the author of that video did on those packages. Creating the model in those packages was straightforward.

The first one on which I tried to make the change he did was Freecad. My installed version is 0.18 so slightly earlier than his version but yes it failed although in a slightly different way.

The second one I tried was Fusion 360, personal edition. That also failed as after editing the second sketch everything after that sketch disappeared.

The third one was Onshape. Surprise! It worked perfectly.

So it looks as if I will be sticking with Onshape for now. I don't like having my work stored only in the cloud and being made public but as it runs in a browser it works fine on Linux as well as Windows. I gather that a new version of Freecad is due out in December with many bug fixes so I look forward to testing that.

Russell

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
BOLDON
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest