By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for YouraT

Here is a list of all the postings YouraT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Strange clamps
10/06/2019 13:53:54

A more general purpose version would be something from the Reglus range.

I have one of these (not mine, but identical, and the pictures are better!):

http://www.nielsmachines.com/en/reglus-universal-drilling-jig.html

Don't use it much, but invaluable when needed!

10/06/2019 12:04:55

I'll bet the "setting screws" as you call them are hardened and have a range of different sized holes through them.

This looks very much like a cross-drilling jig - the cut outs on the bushes are for the retaining screw shown in your album.

Y.

Thread: Machine moving recommendations.
31/05/2019 10:07:44

Thanks everyone

I have a couple of quotes now from Jackson Machinery and Matt Smith - not especially different from each other, and availability / dates is the most likely deciding factor.

The stackable plastic crates are a good idea - I do have a few I bought for my last move, but I didn't realise you could hire them too - I'll look into it.

Cheers

Youra.

17/05/2019 12:41:00

LandyLift would be my first choice - Steve moved these machines for me when I moved some years ago, but he's unable to help on this occasion.

There are two lathes on underdrive cabinets - a Viceroy 250 and another of about the same general size and a Warco A2-F knee mill - range of ~400kgs to roughly 550kgs each.

Less confident somehow about hoisting them up onto a flat-bed by myself.....

17/05/2019 10:28:53

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find someone to move my workshop machines from the Manchester to London areas (approx), and wondered if anyone had suggestions / recommendations for someone to do the work? Landylift (who moved me up here in the first place, and I would use again in a heartbeat) isn't able to help on this occasion, and a couple of quotes from large commercial machinery movers have been positively eye-watering...

I'm reluctant to put them on pallets and ship like that, as I've had a lathe fall-over in exactly that situation previously.

Any recommendations *very* gratefully received.

Youra.

Thread: Ferris Wheel Clock
14/11/2012 09:52:17

David,

I've just downloaded all the files, and they are just fine (I used Firefox not IE...)

The magnetic clock articles are also there - many thanks!

I've tried using PDF (and .pdf) as a search term, and the only results I get are:

>>

<<

A search on 'Ferris' does however pull up a link to the page with the PDFs.

Did the Ferris clock DXFs ever make it into the wild, as it were....?

Thanks again,

Youra.

13/11/2012 20:28:41

Martin,

there are actually a number of things that don't add up on that page of the build instructions - some of the component values don't match - for example the parts list doesn't call up a 1k resistor, but it's in the build instructions (substituted for a 10k), etc.....

If I have some time over the next week, I'll draw something up properly, and try to resolve that and a couple of other little niggles I've noticed. Mind, I haven't actually got as far as building this yet, so especially when it comes to the time constants, I might get it wrong as they likely have mechanical dependencies....

Youra.

Thread: stuart pratt no 2 clock
09/06/2012 20:58:44

Hi David.

That's a shame - I understand of course the difficulties here, but I'm utterly fascinated by the escapement and the motion of the pendulum - do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if that was a new design thought up specially for that clock, or a copy/progression of something historical?

Thanks,

Youra.

09/06/2012 09:13:24

Thanks for that John and Maurice.

I have a couple of the relevant issues, and I'll have to get the others now!

A question more for David C. perhaps - I've also seen the no.3 clock video - the one with the whacky penduluum - is there any possibility of a drawing series or that one ?

Thanks,

Youra.

08/06/2012 20:24:36

Hi.

I'm more usually an MEW (rather than ME) reader, so I've missed which issue the text and drawings started in - could anyone please say?

Thanks,

Youra.

Thread: Gear Depthing Tool
18/05/2011 16:59:32
I made a very similar tool when I constructed my first (and, it has to be said, thus far only) clock - also a Wilding design - the Egg Timer. Lantern pinions also.

http://picasaweb.google.com/youra.turceninoff/WildingEggTimerConstruction

Your vice mounting modification is a good idea - I may need to copy...

I still like the idea of making a depthing tool to the 'old pattern' as it were - but a fabricated version rather than one based on a casting seems the way to go.

Edited By YouraT on 18/05/2011 17:02:41

Edited By YouraT on 18/05/2011 17:02:59

18/05/2011 14:47:44
Hi Mogens.

Nice depthing tool - is it to your own design, or another?

How did you ensure the parallelism required ?

Cheers,

Youra.
15/12/2010 21:41:58
Perhaps I'm simply blind, but I can't find the Ferris wheel articles and DXF files anywhere anymore - I had downloaded them (the articles at least) once already but have had what could be called a filing failure and have likely deleted them...

Would greatly appreciate a link or pointer to what I'm doing wrong, or where I should be looking... !

Also, did the magnetic clock design ever get posted?

Thanks,

Youra. 

27/10/2009 19:07:20
Hi David,

I had thought you already had 1947 - 1981 of ME available to you in PDF format already, possibly more by now, or had I not understood correctly ?

Of course keeping recent copies for print subscribers only makes perfect sense - why else would anyone buy a subscription, after all.

Cheers,

Youra.
27/10/2009 15:30:04
David,

The DXFs on the website would be great - thanks !  Any chance of also running the magnetic clock articles ?

For pre-cut brass for wheels and so-on, I've in the past used:

http://www.clockmaking-brass.co.uk/

I think not as cheap for large sheets, but pre-cut discs for wheels come out competitively  - excellent range of clockmaking books too.

... just a happy customer - no other axe to grind... !

Youra.
Thread: Claude Reeve Gravity Regulator
22/10/2009 22:57:24
John,

Not tried that clock, but interested in your water cutting experiences - how accurately were the plates cut ?

Cheers,

Youra.
Thread: John Rutters plans
22/10/2009 22:53:52
Bob,

That looks great - is it based on the  John Rutter design ? (just asked to borrow those issues from a mate, so not seen it yet).

I'm only after something relatively light for engraving work.

Y.
22/10/2009 08:37:37
Hi Col, Martin

I was planning to draw up at least the plates and the Ferris wheel and support arms, then borrow some time on the model shop machines at work for those bits - I'd class them as the less "interesting" parts to make..

Will happily share the files once I've completed them, but it's not a priority at the moment (house move pending with bigger workshop space ) so it won't be terribly soon.....

Col - where were the plans for the Magnetic Clock published originally - it's not one I've come across....

Cheers,

Youra.
Thread: John Rutters plans
21/10/2009 10:01:30
Hi all.

Which issues does the set of articles run in please ?

Cheers,

Youra.
20/10/2009 21:30:30
Hi all.

I also have a question - in the December instalment Richard Stephen says he's changed the design to reduce noise. Does anyone know what the changes consist of ?

I've tried sending a message to the email address given for him, but I get a permanent delivery failure....

Thanks,

Youra. 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest