By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Baguley

Here is a list of all the postings John Baguley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Regulater for black 5
21/12/2014 13:24:09

Hi Ron,

Not used one myself yet but people seem to have good success with them. The only thing is that you need one that will withstand the temperatures. If it's going in the boiler it needs to be able to withstand at least 160/170 °C and maybe 200°C if fitted in the smokebox. An ordinary gas valve may not be rated for such high temperatures as the seals may be a low melting point plastic (could be wrong though). I think the higher temperature ones may have PTFE or metal seals.

John

Edited By John Baguley on 21/12/2014 13:31:22

Thread: Citric acid or sulfuric acid
10/12/2014 17:18:10

I much prefer sulphuric acid as I do find it does a better job and quicker. I do use citric as well though but mainly for cleaning injectors and fittings.

John

Thread: cylinder angle
01/12/2014 10:31:17

Certainly in the case of the 'Crabs' the inclination of the cylinders was purely to avoid clearance problems with lineside objects such as platform edges. They had a relatively low pressure boiler (180psi) and had large diameter cylinders to compensate for this.

John

Thread: Anyone got ME Vol 41, November 1919?
28/11/2014 12:02:15

Ok, on it's way.

John

28/11/2014 11:31:53

Hi Diane,

Yes, I've got it. I can scan and email it to you if that would help.

John

Thread: 3D printing seems to have gone quiet. Where are we all at?
10/11/2014 15:46:55

After looking around for the last few weeks I bit the bullet and ordered one of these:

**LINK**

Looks pretty good to me for the price. All metal construction and looks very sturdy. I would have liked an Ultimaker 2 as they have a very good reputation but it was out of my price range.

The main use will be printing patterns for castings but no doubt I'll find plenty of other uses for it.

It arrives tomorrow so we'll see smiley

John

Thread: Needle Roller Thrust Bearings
06/11/2014 15:33:47

Those I've seen on machines etc. I've stripped just float on the shafts. They are not fixed at all. They are sometimes in a machined recess.

John

Edited By John Baguley on 06/11/2014 15:34:43

Thread: LNWR Percursor Article When ?????
05/11/2014 11:26:49

Hi Stew,

Bob beat me to it. It probably is to Don's Etna design. I've got all the LLAS articles if you can't get them anywhere else.

John

Thread: Cracker Steam Engine
04/11/2014 18:53:14

Hi Kevin,

Yes, I've got a set in jpeg form. Can't remember where they came from now but they seem clear. If you pm me with your email address I'll send them to you.

John

Thread: Pansy firehole door runners - how?
04/11/2014 16:01:51

Slitting saw if you can hold the material to use one?

John

Thread: an anyone help with drawing for stania black 5
20/10/2014 12:42:10

Hi Ron,

The design looks very much like a scaled up version of LBSC's 3½" Doris but as Nick says, the cylinders don't seem to be as inclined. Everything else looks pretty much the same though.

John

PS have sent you a pm

Edited By John Baguley on 20/10/2014 12:48:59

Thread: Value of a non-steaming "Pride of Penrhyn"?
13/10/2014 13:03:07

Unfortunately the SRS archives don't have the prices that stuff sold for. Still a very valuable resource though.

John

Thread: McMaster - Any Old Iron?
12/10/2014 15:29:56
Posted by Clive Foster on 12/10/2014 14:51:16:

Watching the GP racing today I wondered if something along the lines of the quick lift lever jacks could be arranged to easily switch a machine from mobile mode to solid feet. In principle some sort of parallelogram link along each side of the machine with suitable linking stays would suffice to carry castors or other forms of wheel. Slipping the quick lift or other suitable lever under one end would jack the thing up into mobile mode. Naturally suitable stops would be needed so that the parallelogram link moves further in static mode than it does in lifted mode. I imagine such a device would be of considerable interest to MEW readers if someone were to take it on and demonstrate how to do it.

Clive,

I acquired a drilling machine that sat on a metal table that had just that feature. A lever on each side lowered 4 wheels and lifted the table off it's solid feet so you could move it. The chap I got it from said the table was originally used for computer equipment. Unfortunately I didn't have room for it in the workshop so I put it out for the scrap man. Otherwise I could have taken some photos sad

John

Thread: Set screws or threaded rod
12/10/2014 10:42:11

Actually a lot of steam chests/covers on locos are held on with csk head slotted screws. Often there is not enough clearance between the valve chest cover and the running board to get nuts in. Sometimes the steam chest is also secured to the block by a couple of csk screws through the steam chest only and between the normal fixings. That way the chest is still secured when the cover is removed for valve timing etc. A chassis I'm working on at the moment has that feature.

As suggested though, studs and nuts are the best way really. I've had a few locos where someone has been a bit over enthusiastic tightening bolts and stripped the threads in the block sad

John

Thread: McMaster - Any Old Iron?
11/10/2014 18:25:21

Ian,

You might find it will move all over the place if it's on wheels, even if you can lock them. They tend to be very out of balance. I've got a smaller machine that sits on the floor and it has a mind of it's own once you switch it on! It really needs bolting down to a very heavy base (another roundtuit job!)

Nice machine though and you'll find it very useful smiley MIne's been a godsend.

John

Thread: Value of a non-steaming "Pride of Penrhyn"?
07/10/2014 14:39:39

If a dealer has offered you £600 it's probably worth quite a bit more than that as they will sell it on at a good profit. There's a couple in our club and with a bit of work they make a good little engine. You'd do better trying to sell it privately first before resorting to dealers.

John

Thread: LBSC - PV Baker loco.
30/09/2014 15:31:21

Yes,

The Baker valve gear was in Vol.92 Issue 2283 and the cylinders in Issue 2294.

John

30/09/2014 13:07:26

Yes,

It was definitely one of LBSC's 'quickies'. The only drawings in the mag are for the frames and the boiler. The rest you had to work out for yourself by refering back to earlier articles, which is ok if you've got them. Presumably the full size drawings had more detail? Don't know who sells them now.

John

29/09/2014 21:58:36

Hi Paul,

These drawings from ME will hopefully help you to a positive identification.

pv baker frames.jpg

pv baker boiler.jpg

It may not be widely known but the 'standard' type Baker valve gear always used by LBSC is not really suited to slide valves. The original design was for piston valves for which it works fine but it gives poor valve events with slide valves. There was a very peculiar arrangement of Baker gear specially designed for slide valves where the combination lever is actually behind the gear frame.

John

Thread: Culinary interlude
22/09/2014 12:35:47

When I was helping my brother wiring a new house at Little Eaton we used to visit the local butcher who sold the most enormous eggs (and lots of homemade pies etc.). Every one was a double yoker. Must be something to do with the breed of hen? They must have been big hens!

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest