By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Baguley

Here is a list of all the postings John Baguley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
21/01/2020 00:21:41

Silver soldering as we think of it should really be called silver brazing as mentioned by Mike. Any joining process involving temperatures over 450°C(?) is classed as brazing, below that is classed as soldering.

John

Thread: Dementia
20/01/2020 16:14:06

A friend of mine in our club has had it for a few years but he keeps fighting it by, as mentioned, keeping his brain active. He's designed and built two superb 2½" gauge locos and is now working on a third. He's also building a Vee twin petrol engine and a hit and miss engine. He's determined to carry on model engineering as long as he possibly can. He puts a lot of us too shame!

To make matters worse, he's also got Parkinson's which is slowly getting worse, but he takes it all in good heart and doesn't let it get him down. I think that is what helps to keep him going.

John

Thread: Chinese DRO opinions
15/01/2020 17:22:41

I bought a very similar set from China a couple of years ago for the mill and I've been very happy with it. I didn't go for the cheapest though. I got a Sinpo brand which seems to have a pretty good reputation which was around £200. It took two weeks to arrive which was no problem and I had to pay £21 VAT etc. I would certainly purchase direct from China again when I want another one.

John

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
12/01/2020 11:09:03
Posted by Steviegtr on 12/01/2020 01:29:46:

Wow I bet there are not that many people who have stayed faithful to one model for so long. What sort of work do you do with it.

It's been used pretty much for everything within it's capacity. Mostly building steam locos but also making motorbike bits and telescope parts. Before I had a milling machine, all of my milling was done on it using a vertical slide.

I've now also got a Denham Junior that someone gave me so that's used for anything that won't fit in the Myford.

I've stayed 'faithful' to the Myford because it's a very good lathe and I've never felt the need to replace it smiley

John

12/01/2020 01:19:10

I bought my ML7 brand new in 1973 from the old Reeves (£150!) when they were in Birmingham and it is still my prefered lathe. It's been in constant use since then. Apart from fitting a 3ph motor with inverter some years ago I haven't had to do much to it at all. I soon replaced the original tool post with a quick change job which made tool changing much easier.

I did recently pick up a virtually brand new spindle and a set of NOS white metal bearing shells which I fitted last year but it didn't really need it. I had scraped the original shells a couple of years ago but the wear was very slight.

One improvement I made last year was to replace the original Vee belts with the cogged variety which are more flexible and it now runs much smoother than before.

John

Thread: Replacement inverter advise
26/12/2019 01:13:56

I fitted a larger (2.2KW) version to my mill in July 2018 and have been very happy with it. The instructions are not the best as has been mentioned but I managed to fathom out all the settings and connections for remote start/stop/reverse and speed pot without too much trouble.

If you are going for one of these cheaper VFDs then I would recommend going for a higher rating VFD than you need for the actual motor.

I bought an inverter for the ML7 from Drives Direct some years ago that was the same output as the HP of the lathe motor and it failed after about a year. I replaced it with a spare one of the same make that was a higher output and it's been working fine for years now.

John

Thread: 042 Locomotive plans
25/12/2019 12:40:41

All the drawings are actually on the website linked to by Ian. Just click on the link ' Vers la page ".........." and keep clicking the same link on each page. You will eventually get to the valve gear drawings:

Valve Gear

John

24/12/2019 21:33:02

Judging by the cylinders and the boiler it looks as though it is Gauge 1 or maybe even O Gauge. The boiler looks to be either meths or gas fired. That should narrow it down a bit.

John

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
24/12/2019 16:24:59

Derek,

RS sell some small steel bevel gears that you might be able to adapt:

**LINK**

The drawings call for 0.5" DP and these are 12.8mm. You would have to sleeve the bore to fit the shafts and probably shorten the boss as well. Might be worth a try if you can't find any suitable ones elsewhere. I presume that Reeves used to sell them in the past?

The governor that I built came with the gears so I don't know where they came from.

John

Thread: 3.5 NG Conway or Lilla
12/12/2019 17:17:15

Steel will give you better adhesion and be less messy to machine.

John

Thread: Online ME index
10/12/2019 00:31:05

Had a look again tonight and the online index is back smiley

John

Whoops, I thought it was! The homepage has reappeared but the search facility does not work sad

Edited By John Baguley on 10/12/2019 00:35:26

Thread: Soldering a tender
04/12/2019 09:09:25

When I've soldered tanks etc. I've used one of the lower melting point solders from Carrs such as the 143ºC stuff. You can get them with a melting point down to 70ºC. They are available from Phoenix Paints amongst others. Not cheap though but you don't need a lot if the joints are close fitting. Some of the solders used to contain Cadmium which made them flow very easily but don't know if they still do?

I've always used a needle flame torch for heating with no problems but you do have to be careful not to overheat the metal and distort it. Using a low melt solder definitely helps with that.

John

Thread: Online ME index
27/11/2019 01:09:55

Thanks Bazyle, I did have an index on my PC when I was running XP using a free and very early version on FMPRO which worked very well. Unfortunately, I had to upgrade to WIN10 when the old PC packed up and the early version of FMPRO will not run on the new one. I presume that the software is only 8 bit.

I'm going to have to either get to grips with running a virtual XP machine on the WIN10 PC or suss out using another database program that doesn't cost the earth sad

John

26/11/2019 11:56:24

Has anyone else noticed that the online Model Engineer Index at itech.net.au seems to have disappeared?

I used it about a week ago but now the link just comes up as 404-file not found. It looks as though the website is not there anymore.

John

Thread: Web Hosting
18/11/2019 16:52:35

I use HostPaPa for three websites - my own and two club ones. Never had any problems with them. Unlimited bandwidth etc. and various packages to suit how much storage capacity you need.

John

Thread: Part built Allchin 1.5 inch
14/11/2019 00:24:47

Hi Derek,

Steam Fitings also do smallish globe valves that you may be able to adapt:

Globe Valves

I bought a couple of the 1/4 x 40 size for an injector testing boiler. I can measure the diameter if it would help.

Your idea for the water feed for the injector should be fine.

John

Thread: Allchin 1.1.2" boiler
06/11/2019 16:45:14

As Jason suggests, there is a 1/8" square reinforcing strip in the corner of the joint which increases the surface area of the joint. That's how I built mine years ago. That should still be acceptable nowadays and is a lot easier than making a double flanged throatplate.

I doubt if a plain butt joint as shown by LBSC for Tich etc.would be considered acceptable practice now in the UK although, as Jason says, talk to the boiler inspector.

John

Thread: Flxispeed Meteor II - Centre Height in Gap
04/11/2019 00:59:32

Bill is correct. I've just measured mine and the swing in the gap is 5-1/4"

John

Thread: Boiler making problem.
22/10/2019 10:45:04

It is normal practice to fit the bushes from the outside so there's no reason why you can't fit them after you have fitted the tube and end cap assembly.

John

Thread: DRO on a Mill
08/09/2019 21:49:51
Posted by old mart on 08/09/2019 20:37:44:

Your 2 axis DRO plus digital on the Z axis is the best compromise for a drill mill, go for it.

That's what I went for and find the setup quite adequate.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest