By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Boscott

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Boscott has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Information sought
31/10/2009 23:21:43
Jason

Just followed the link in your letter they are very good you do not need a translator to see the quality in the work

Paul
Thread: What am I doing wrong???
18/10/2009 20:59:22

Hello Mark

One of the possibilities may be that the split die is not adjusted correctly you should test the setting by running it down an existing 3mm thread.  It should be just tight without removing any metal.

Paul

Thread: Lathe Backgear
18/10/2009 19:06:03

Hello

I have a 10-inch Atlas with back gear that in about 30 years I have only used to see how it works.

With modem tipped and insert tooling the absolute need for a very slow has not been one of my requirements.

It is though handy to lock the main spindle when fitting and removing the chucks.

Paul

Thread: Douglas engine......again
11/10/2009 07:42:17
Looking good

I am just starting a build on a model from photos your detailed record has shown me that the documentation of what I am doing will be worth the extra effort.
I will watch your progress with intrest.

Paul
Thread: CNC engraving
07/10/2009 18:09:00

This was my solution

I wanted to engrave glass that has an uneven surface but at the same depth over the length of the text. After a few failures I came up with this solution A sprung loaded collet chuck to take the collets and tools from my dremel

The thread on the front of the dremel is 9/32 x 40 a standard M.E thread I was able to buy a die from RDG tools. The next experimentation was the force of the spring I am now using one extracted from a plastic ball point pen. The tool bit is a diamond impregnated ball 1.5 mm Dia in a 3mm shaft.

My contribution to safety was to put a copper shield around the drive pin as the tool rotates at 5000 rpm if it were to come out you can bet that of the 360 deg range it would have to chose from it would aim straight for your eye.

For drawimg see my photos

Paul Boscott
05/10/2009 13:33:38
Ian
Looking at your photo I would not have recommended a spring loaded tool holder for that job.

My understanding is that a spring loaded tool is used when the surface that you are engraving on is not flat or not planer so that the pressure of the spring provides a constant depth of cut over the contoured surface.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Lathe Advice Needed
22/09/2009 19:51:42
I have been using an Atlas D10 for the past 30 years and it was old when I got it. Is a bit like a Morris Minor you can easily keep it in good repair the parts are readily available on ebay.  It has a 5 inch swing and a power cross slide. I have fitted the Quick change box, Milling attachment and can do metric with the change gears. A recent addition has been some cut up digital callipers on the cross slide and the tail stock that has worked very well. Check Ebay they go for about £200-£300

>>

Yours Paul>>

Thread: Propane gas burners
20/09/2009 06:56:40

There is not a shroud the idea is to be able to see it all working and for it to be fully transportable it can be up and running within 3 minutes of being unpacked.

The impetus to make this engine came from the standalone feature of the "Fire Eater Engine" and the engineering as an art form of "Halo 5" Air engine see my other videos.

Paul

Edited By Paul Boscott on 20/09/2009 06:57:19

19/09/2009 16:10:41
The burners are now in position and working well the Model "Swish Stirling Twin" will be at Sandown

Edited By Paul Boscott on 19/09/2009 16:38:00

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/06/2015 12:06:39

Thread: Digital editions of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop.
12/09/2009 07:03:16
I have this week changed my opinion about the desirability of a digital only subscription.

Issue 4360 was on the available back issues before I had received my copy in the post.

So I read it on line the system worked well the pages turned at my request and I was able to zoom in to the articles that I wanted to read.

On receiving the hard copy I reread it sitting much more relaxed the reading the complete magazine cover-to-cover including all the articles and adds.

I have decided that the latter was the better experience.

Paul

PS David

I now think that there is a good case for back issues not being available until they are say 6 months old. The security of using the subscriber's number as proof of subscription is not good. I can provide details to back up this statement off line if you want an explanation

Edited By Paul Boscott on 12/09/2009 07:04:17

Edited By Paul Boscott on 12/09/2009 07:05:19

Thread: Visiting UK
07/09/2009 21:17:47
If you ar going north the York is a good stop

for her

for you

Thread: Digital editions of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop.
07/09/2009 11:15:22
Good Idea Jim

Dave
If this goes anywhere Let me know I would pay for an on line subscription I would like to have a method of backing it up to my own hard drive perhaps  the way itunes do it would be posable

Paul
25/08/2009 18:32:25
Very good a step forward

Though How I will get any work done?

Paul
Thread: Propane gas burners
18/07/2009 17:49:17
From the prototype made from tube I have now made the two burners I was after for my engine.

It will be at the Model Engineering Exhibition at Sandown

See my photo Album for pictures of the burners
11/07/2009 15:46:44

To answer my own question today I went in to town (Banbury) and purchased a selection of brass tube and a .005" brass sheet (Trinders Model Shop)

The main problem was the 0.005 hole for the jet I made it from 3 bits a cap a disk and a holder. I put the hole in the brass sheet with a tap from the small hammer on to sewing needle held in a pin chuck. Then cut the hole around with scissors fitting the 3 bits together with epoxy so that it did not leak.

>>

I have still to turn this prototype in to the two burners that I need but if I get it right you will be able to see them at this years Model Engineering Exhibition at Sandown.

>>

See my photo Album for result and dimensions
28/06/2009 12:57:06

I am looking for information about the construction of small propane gas burners that will run on 3 psi gas pressure ideally will look like a camping gas stove but 10mm diameter I have tried scaling one without the effect I am after.

>>

It looks like I need basic data so that I understand the principles of gas burner operation

>>

Or a nice little drawing from someone that already been there.>>

Thread: Readers' Workshop Special
28/06/2009 05:45:11

On the positive side I got a copy at Smiths Banbury there were three on the shelf

>>

I found it a good read

>>

And am planning to add a set of vice jaws as Stuart Walker in photo 6 page 16

>>

I have been using a pair of hardwood ones for some time

>>

Paul
Thread: New Subscription Freebies
28/06/2009 05:33:02

Jim

>>

I support this idea it could also be a good way of helping M.E to retain subscribers

>>

Paul
Thread: To Web Master
04/06/2009 17:40:26
An observation

if I click from Latest Posts I get a display with some of the thread text under the right hand adds
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest