By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Boscott

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Boscott has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Three Cylinder Steam Radial
24/01/2010 09:40:25
Stewart

Watched your video what is the valve system you have used ?

Paul
Thread: Scale nuts and bolts
23/01/2010 21:59:47
Thank you Neil

I am going along that track. I have drawn up in autocad the full range of BA nuts and bolts fron 14 to 0 in actual size the scaled them by times 12. I am now using these drawings in comparison with the phoros I have, to draw up the press in full size then when I scale the drawing inch to the foot the BA sizes will return

Thank you agian for the conformation of the data

yours Paul Boscott
Thread: Help needed
30/12/2009 18:21:52
Hello Paul

I had a small batch of transformers made at http://www.custom-transformers.co.uk/ for our company they were very helpful you may be able to buy some standard stampings from them and modify them. Alternatively buy some transformers that have large enough laminations and reshape them to fit

Paul B
Thread: MEW online, whats next??!
28/12/2009 23:19:31

I thought I would share with you my first reaction to he two letters above

It is "don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg".

The web site you have created is great and in my opinion far beyond any of the competition and again in my opinion it must pay its way or it will not be stainable and such a resource deserves to be maintained in the long term.

On rereading my letter it is unusual for me to be so conservative but I have seen good ideas burn them selves out before. I would not like this excellent site to fall.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Extrusion Press
28/12/2009 14:51:07
Jason

Thank you for your interest

The baseboard that I am currently looking at is 60 inches long by 28 inches wide (must go through a standard door) this includes a short section of cooling table to extrude on to. The actual press part of the model as in the website drawings is 38 inches by 15 inches but there is the billet furnace yet to add to the width.

The intention is to fit it on to a wheeled box like structure with the computer controls and pump in the base and a hinged side that opens up to make a half size mock up of the real control desk. To include temperature, pressure indication and computer mimic screen as well as the fully manual set of command switches.

Paul

28/12/2009 11:22:49
I have updated my web site http://www.boscott.co.uk/
added wanted page and new drawings

Paul Boscott
Thread: Universal beams 6 x 3.5 inch to 1:12 scale
27/12/2009 11:06:14

Hello

Before I go reinventing the wheel can anyone let me know a supplier of "Universal beams 6 x 3.5 inch to 1:12 scale" in preferably steel  that would be 0.50" x 0.29"

Thank you Paul Boscott

Thread: lathe tool advice
22/12/2009 19:04:47

Gordon

Have you considered mounting your disk in the lathe covering up the slide ways and using the angle grinder bracketed off the tool post to get the part concentric with the lathe so there not any lumps on it to start with? Then treat it like a casting a make the first cut slow and deep enough to get under any local hardening you may have caused

Yours Paul Boscott

Thread: Extrusion Press
19/12/2009 17:46:10
I have started my latest model a 2 year project to make a working model of an extrusion press from photos and memory if any one would like to help me fill in the gaps please visit my website thank you for your time

All being well you should be able to see it working at the 2011 Model Engineering Exhibition.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Scale nuts and bolts
12/12/2009 14:07:34

Scale nuts and bolts

I would appreciate some help with the scale model of an industrial machine that I am about to start.

I the past I have made many model engines (type JaguarB into youtube to see some of the better ones) these have been from existing designs or not to scale for my next model I intend to make an original with the data coming mainly from a set of photos. I am now in the process of drawing the machine up 1:1 in AutoCAD. From the dimensions I have so far it is looking like one inch to the foot is a practical scale as I will be able to make the largest part on my 10 in atlas lathe.

Now for the Question

What thread type should I use and where do I get the information on A/F sizes for scale nuts and bolts?

For example what would a 1/2 whitworth become at 1/12 scale to look right?

I can see that the diameter would be 0.041" this is close to 14BA or 1mm but information on the AF sizes of these threads is conflicting and I know that sometimes what is right on the calculations does not look/feel right in practice.

I also notice that some suppliers have different size bolt heads to nuts for the same thread in the sizes below 8BA

Thank you for your time.

Thread: The Model Engineer Exhibition 2009 is OPEN!
11/12/2009 18:27:52

I have just got back from the show I arrived at 10:30 Parking easy and free. There was a queue to get in but with my ticket walked straight in. I got most of my list of bits, but more interestingly met some of the show team and was able to tell the in person what a good job they had done to put it all together. I partially liked the show separation arrangements Competition models, Club stands and Traders. There is also a good size food area.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Sandown Model Engineer Exhibition 2009
11/12/2009 18:26:21

I have just got back from the show I arrived at 10:30 Parking easy and free. There was a queue to get in but with my ticket walked straight in. I got most of my list of bits, but more interestingly met some of the show team and was able to tell the in person what a good job they had done to put it all together. I partially liked the show separation arrangements Competition models, Club stands and Traders. There is also a good size food area.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Model Engineer 4366
06/12/2009 10:27:39

I think that David is doing a great job for his stewardship of the magazine and the web site is level or above the best.

The Model Engineer is not like the Pink where you must have the absolutely latest copy in your hand to see the odds for the 2:30 (at Sandown) I am sure that I can allow many days leeway on the actual delivery date It is important is that the content is thought provoking, accurate and eventually delivered for reference and continuity.

If the grey plastic envelope through the letter box is the highlight of your fortnight you are not spending enough time in your workshop.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Glanze Parting Blade - question
28/11/2009 11:04:26

Hello Anthony

I popped the insert out just to see how it fitted in (as you do) with an allen key. I chose one that was a good fit in the hole behind the insert and one of its flats snug to the rear of the insert turned it and had the insert in my hand.

Paul

Thread: General Exhibition enquiries from members of this site.
26/11/2009 21:31:32
David

Got the letter re getting my models to Sandown it says after 11:00 but till when could you let me know the latest I can deliver on the 10th.

>

Yours Paul
Thread: Beginners start here in Model Engineer
21/11/2009 22:45:53

Elated then a bit subdued

A once in a lifetime accolade(I think)

On the front of the latest Model Engineer No 4365 a picture of my engine also in the show guide two of my other engines but acknowledgement that they are my work is sadly missing from any of the text.

To take this thread right back to its first posting.

The Stuart D10 on the front cover of the latest Model Engineer No 4365 was made entirely using only a lathe (10" Atlas), pillar drill (Meddings 1/2"), files and wet&dry.
I have put some of the pictures I took at the time in my album.

First the plinth bottom this was first filed flat then with a bit of 120 wet and dry resting on a 6" square piece of shop window glass rubbed in a figure of 8 till it was touching all around next clamped to the faceplate and faced of to size

The same procedure for the bed with the addition of filing the recess for the bearings.

The trunks, I cleaned up the top flange with a file then held it in a 3 jaw chuck with a piece of brass from the tailstock into the filed up trunk to stop it spinning out see picture D10-1 the feet were the faced very slowly to size and flat. Next using the flat feet the trunk was bolted to the faceplate clocked see picture D10-2. The top was faced off to the correct height measuring from the faceplate surface see picture D10-3. The trunk bore was the turned in the same setup see picture D10-4.

The cylinders were turned using a 4-jaw chuck clocking the inside of the cleaned up bore and the valve face turned with the cylinder clamped on to the faceplate using two pieces of steel angle.

Pictures D10topjig and D10bottomjig show a single jig that fits in to the cylinder, trunk and on the other side fits the step on the head.The felt pen marks are for the trunk / bottom cylinder

It is good if you can get is so that it fits any way around but if you mark the jig and the sides of the cylinder even if your jig is out the hole paten will be in the same place on both parts.

I made the this one with eight head studs to try and give the impression of a larger engine to a smaller scale

The three bearings were cut drilled reamed and numbered then the holding holes were marked out and drilled to the tapping size put on to a piece of silver steel stock bar and using toolmakers clamps offered into position on the bed plate the holes in the bed plate were drilled through the holes in the bearings.

I also made the blow down taps and pipefittings from stock brass bar see pictures starting Tap.

See you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAI1daFh1dg whilst there you could look at some of my other engines.

On viewing the photos the thumbnails are cropped but if you double click on then you can see the full frame.

Paul Boscott

Thread: Auto Cad
17/11/2009 17:53:27
Hello as Kerbtrawler has said.

I also include in the accompany letter a dimensioned drawing to prevent any scaling error. (so that the whole lot can not be swallowed by a small dog) 
Thread: Test run Triple Expansion Engine
16/11/2009 18:58:16
I noticed quite a difference when running my triple on air to steam. The ratio of the steam expansion is different to the air. I found on mine that the first cylinder on air was doing all the work when using air and that the relative timing of the three cylinders needed to be set different when steam is used.

Paul

Thread: Can anyone help me with a day out near Twickenham
07/11/2009 19:00:32

Decided on a visit to SMEE
At
Marshall House
28 Wanless Road
London
SE24 0HW

The drive took longer that I had calculated and left me only an hour there.

But I was warmly welcomed given a conducted tour of the building from the archive on the top floor to the machine tools in the basement. I also had time for a coffee and a chat.

Thank you all at SMEE for your hospitality

Paul Boscott

04/11/2009 13:09:47
Can anyone help me with a day out?

I am taking my son to Twickenham Rugby Stadium Saturday 07-11-09 (this Saturday) dropping him off at about 12:30 and picking him up at 16:30. Last time I drove on to Kew Bridge pumping house and had a look around.

Can any one suggest a similar engineering type place within say 20 minutes by car of Twickenham Rugby Stadium that I could visit this Saturday?

Thank you in advance Paul Boscott
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest