By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AndyP

Here is a list of all the postings AndyP has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Junk or what?
05/04/2011 14:08:58
It's a water pipe, common in some parts of the world until around 1900, still in use remarkably, see here

Andy
Thread: Spark erosion machines .
27/03/2011 23:25:09
Ian, that link doesn't work for me, is there any chance you can spell it out without it being a link?
I did ask before but my post has vanished, maybe because it contained a link to another website?

Cheers, Andy
Thread: Vertical steam driven boiler feed pump
19/03/2011 16:52:14
Steve,

Yes, that is my understanding, I have never had one of those in bits though so it is all theory.

Cheers, Andy
19/03/2011 11:29:31
Steve,
The description of this sort of pump which made sense to me was that the second slide valve (that which controls the inlet of steam to the main piston) is a shuttle operated by the steam admitted by the first slide valve which is controlled by the valve rod you can see.
Does that shed any light on how it is supposed to work or just muddy things further?

Andy

Edited By AndyP on 19/03/2011 11:35:58

Thread: Spark erosion machines .
13/03/2011 23:50:52
I built (bodged?) a simple device about 3 years ago with a lot of help from the members of another forum. I had no success using the eroder current to operate the solenoid so rigged it using a microswitch to provide the oscillation with a separate circuit for the electrode - works a treat - took the broken tap out of a 5" gauge Hunslet cylinder pdq.

The photobucket album I put up during the things evolution is here though it makes me cringe a little now.
Thread: Strange angle ?
06/03/2011 20:38:10
Stuart,

My Boxford MkII AUD has the same 15 degree offset of the scale but the fiducial mark (there is only one) on the topslide is so positioned that setting to 0 gives topslide movement parallel (approximately) to the lathe axis. If it is a mistake it is a common one. My lathe came from a fellow club member who bought it new so it has not been messed about with as far as I know.
I notice that the MkIII on lathes.co.uk does not show this feature,

Cheers, Andy
Thread: Case Hardening
04/03/2011 00:03:18
My 400g tub of Case Hardening Powder from Blackgates says £10 plus coppers on the lid. Bought at Harrogate relatively recently.
It works.

Cheers, Andy
Thread: Machining Between Centres
08/01/2011 16:50:17
Keith,

I have a C1 although mine is the Chester Cobra variant, smashing little machine for it's price. I haven't had the need to turn between centres so can't offer a solution to our problem. All the suggestions so far are valid and turning down a standard soft MT2 centre does seem to be the easiest although unless you shorten it significantly it still leaves a lot sticking out of the spindle.
Looking at the backplate and the flange on the spindle I think it would be just possible to make a faceplate that would accept the full MT2 taper although there wouldn't be much meat left around the holes for the mounting bolts.

While googling for the MT spec I came across an old thread on here concerning a MT 1.5 spindle on a Toyo lathe which rang some bells, perhaps this points to some of the ancestors of this machine as there is some resemblance.

Cheers,
Andy
Thread: issue 171
16/12/2010 15:46:42
Mike, if you want to see a copy pop in to see me, I order my copy from Salmons on New Market Street.
 Address in a private message.
Andy

Edited By AndyP on 16/12/2010 15:51:22

Thread: Digital Subs
14/12/2010 14:31:35
Less than 365 days I think Kenny, I was emailed my MEW digital subscription no. on 18 Dec 2009 and my bank debited 21 Dec 2009 yet they pulled the plug on me last week, at least that is when I noticed, glad I've burnt the lot to DVD, they won't be ripping me off again.

Thread: Boxford spindle speeds
10/12/2010 16:50:12
Hi Baldric,
My AUD is 3 phase and (I think) a MkII, it is 4 1/2" certainly and it's speed plate gives 210, 340, 540, 850, 1400 in direct drive and 40, 66, 105, 165, 270 in back gear. I can take a photo if you need it.

Cheers, Andy
Thread: lost wax casting.
05/10/2010 14:13:40
I have been using this for years with no problems, no connection etc.
I have made greensand and oil bonded sand but am not aware of a recipe for diy investment of this type.
I know people have had success with Plaster of Paris but imho the possible failures - exploding flasks when pouring metal or wrecked vacuum pumps make it a false economy.

Andy
Thread: Archive not accessible
21/08/2010 23:40:20
Thank heavens for that Sid, I thought they were picking on me. I'm not paranoid honestly.
21/08/2010 22:44:14
Despite my digital archive subscription for MEW it won't let me in tonight, my subscription number is in my details, is there a problem?
Thread: induction heating
14/08/2010 13:46:32
Douglas,

This site looked interesting.
Thread: Columbia - 3 1/2" gauge Baldwin
03/08/2010 23:49:58
They are all pretty similar Wayne although the GA in that first set is particularly bad - I guess they want us to buy the drawings.

Andy
Thread: A beginners locomotive
03/08/2010 23:41:34
Whenever I want a photo of a model my first port of call is the Station Road Steam archive.
Thread: 3 1/2" gauge Rob Roy
27/07/2010 00:07:28
Hi Cyril,
Both Blackgates and Reeves do drawings and castings for Rob Roy, mine came from Blackgates! The book is a must especially if it is a first loco which mine is.
There are several errors on the drawings, some of which are listed here . I have an air running chassis and am currently on the smokebox plumbing - fiddly stuff.

Andy
Thread: Butane gas adapter
17/07/2010 14:28:47
Hi Eddie,

Mine probably came from Chasteam 

Andy
Thread: ME Issue 4381 - 02 July - Subscription Copy Delivery ?
02/07/2010 10:08:49
It's no help to you Andy but I collected my reserved copy from my local independent newsagent this morning, on time and in perfect condition as usual .

Andy
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest