By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AndyP

Here is a list of all the postings AndyP has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model Engineers Boiler Test Code
15/11/2012 00:00:03

Downloadable from here under news and views.

Thread: Kiln - should I buy it?
03/11/2012 11:06:58

Sounds ideal, I use mine all the time but then I cast a lot.

I note you said 22" diameter, does this mean it is a 'top loader'? - typical for a hobby level pottery kiln.
If so be warned that classicaly we load and unload a furnace hot unlike potters and a top loader is particularly unpleasant (some would say downright dangerous) to use that way.

A kiln with a door on the front is a much better proposition for our use.

You would want it to come with its controller because they can be bit spendy as well.

Andy

Thread: Injector Manufacture
27/10/2012 21:08:00

In Shop, Shed and Road Curly gives instructions for making the taper reamers for injectors from 5/32 silver steel and refers to one as a 3/4" which is made by setting the topslide over about 6degrees to cut a taper 3/4" long on that diameter stock. Another one is 1 1/8" of taper by setting over 4 degrees. He later refers to the first one as a 3/4" reamer when making the combining cone.

Makes it sound so easy doesn't he ?

Andy

Thread: Charlie Q1
24/10/2012 21:35:05

Try searching on LC-042C-09 (those are zeros) not letter Os - oops 2 Ronnies !

Andy

Thread: Drawings - which way up?
23/10/2012 12:04:45

I don't care which way up they are so long as they are correct !
If having them in various, less than optimum, orientations is the price I have to pay for them not being bu****ed redrawn by an 'artist' then that's fair enough. Employing somebody capable of doing the job properly seems not to be the 21st century way.

Andy

Thread: Test Boiler
21/10/2012 16:59:53

Bryan,

Sorry I hadn't read it through, it is a bit thin on detail but I think I could build it from that, the inner firebox looks thin and he does say it moved so he added stays, I think I would just use thicker tube. Foundation ring is going to be 3/8 square copper and the unspecified firehole ring is just thick tube say 10swg and maybe 1 1/4" If you are going to gas fire it does it need a firedoor anyway?

It does say it is a modified GLR test boiler so you could talk to GLR first - may be easiest to start with that and do DAG Brown's modifications as you build it.

Andy

20/10/2012 21:35:30

Bryan

D.A.G. Brown's excellent book "Miniature Injectors Inside and Out" has a design for a suitable boiler which may well be based on the GLR offering - uses 10" of 4 1/4" tube.

Andy

Thread: Lathe backplate
19/10/2012 22:39:48

If Boxford ones fit then Chronos list a 160mm one which might do at a pinch ? they are invariably a mm or two oversize.

Andy

Thread: Boiler Design
09/10/2012 21:10:07

I would hope that any club boiler inspector who could not check stress calculations would admit as much, the only two inspectors I know can do the calcs.

What would be useful is if somebody could point to a publication that holds the necessary formulae and procedure for design - I'll start with these but something even more authoritative would be nice.

SInce I suspect we (the UK) are never going to produce anything quite so matter of fact and plain useful and usable as the Australian code how about the Northern/Southern groups agreeing that a copper boiler built to that code is acceptable here. Well I can dream can't I?

Andy

Thread: 3 1/2" Henely
05/10/2012 13:47:51

A letter in ME in 1983 from Andrew Smith refers to an 0-4-0 Henley as being designed by Martin Evans for the Stuart International Model Engineers' Club and featuring in their magazine some years previously.

Thread: Going to put companies out of business?
21/09/2012 22:48:42

All of the inorganic systems mentioned already are available now to the home user, look up Shapeways or Moddler for bureau services, printed straight into metal - no problem sir, bronze perhaps?

In the bespoke jewellery business which is where I live it is not uncommon to design a piece on cad, have the customer approve the model, bang the file off to a bureau and cast straight from the returned plastic model.

I have a home type 3d printer on order and fully intend to use it that way and I'll be very suprised if it doesn't make a few bits for my models as well.

Andy

Thread: Needle flame gas torch
19/09/2012 10:13:57

I use a Smith Little Torch daily for jewellery work and it is a lovely piece of kit. I am using oxy/propane in common with most smiths but they list compressed air tips on the website.

I bought mine years ago from the States but some of the UK jewellers suppliers like Cousins or HS Walsh or Sutton Tools mentioned above may now stock. If you do get it from the states the bottle fittings don't fit.

Andy

Thread: What steel to Order
18/09/2012 20:32:48

Ronan Point but I think the gas explosion had a lot to do with it.

Thread: Silver Solder Identification
24/08/2012 23:48:53

The hse defines it thus:-

Placing on the market

Supplying or making available, whether in return for payment or free of charge, to a third party. Import shall be deemed to be placing on the market.

edit SNAP !

So I suspect they have us by the ........

Never mind 1kg of 50%Ag has a scrap value of about £250 - and that is definitely going to liberate all the cadmium.

Andy

Edited By AndyP on 24/08/2012 23:50:34

Thread: Staying loged in between visits
13/07/2012 11:18:29

OK,

If I turn off cookies and log out my screen looks like John's screen dump ie no remember me button and the two paras of Welcome to ME above Ben's picture.

If I turn on Cookies the remember me box reappears.

When I log in the welcome to ME paragraphs vanish and Ben's picture is level with the login box.

Simples cheeky

Browser probably irrelevant but ie8 on XP

Andy

Thread: Steam valve plans
11/07/2012 00:01:42

Tubal Cain shows one in "Building simple model steam engines" part 1 and Stan Bray likewise in "Making simple model steam engines". Searching for regulator in the magazine indices might be fruitful.

Thread: Paper drawings to DWG possible??
29/06/2012 22:22:40

I couldn't find a description of functionality either but the hardware requirements are in the FAQ

Andy

Thread: Publication date
29/06/2012 22:12:50

Thanks David, I should have seen that ! Calendar marked up.

Andy

29/06/2012 21:10:40

Is it possible to state the publication schedule for MEW? so that I know when to start giving my newsagent grief if it hasn't materialised.
Andy
Suggesting a subscription is unhelpful.

Thread: Casting aluminium without a furnace?
25/06/2012 12:12:25

Steve, that sounds like Precious Metal Clay from Mitsubishi which I think is only available in Silver and Gold. A competing product, Art Clay, does exist in Copper and Bronze forms.
It is a very expensive way of getting a metal object. It will shrink during firing and the finished item will be porous.
Baking is at 970 deg C so rather more kiln than oven.
Casting is great fun and melting in a small electromelt furnace and casting into something like Delft Clay could easily and safely be done in a flat.

Andy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest