By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for modeng2000

Here is a list of all the postings modeng2000 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
21/10/2021 19:58:55

A new water pipe was being installed for a near neighbour using a mole and all went well until the ground became quite soft. The mole followed gravity and was not seen again. The air pipe had to be cut as it was impossible to retrieve the working end, even though it was supposed to have a reversing facicity.

John

Thread: Hermes. A Company in Total Confusion!
14/10/2021 19:13:40

I have also had a similar delivery today.

John

Thread: Could you get away with this today
11/10/2021 16:40:06

I think this is what is missing from today's miserable offerings that are called humour.

I suppose that dates me!

Thread: M6 thread locking/stiff screw
06/10/2021 08:56:32

Just an up-date to say that following some use of the lathe, the carriage gib adjustment has not changed. So the use of a synthetic thread to stiffen the screws has provided a workable solution to this problem.

John

02/10/2021 18:16:03

Well the answer I have used to make stiff threaded screws is to place a length of thread down the hole before inserting the screw. The thread I used was model kite cord but I don't know what it is made from.

The screws can be re-adjusted it seems without loosing the stiffness.

John

02/10/2021 08:18:05

My query seems to have brought out some useful information on this screw position retaining problem.

Thanks again to all for your input.

Thinking of the setting of the saddle gib strips, I have found two items, first on the www.madmodder.net site and then on softsolder.com.

I'll report back as to how I get on trying to solve the saddle screw positioning problem.

John

01/10/2021 22:30:41

Martin, I think they are called tri-lobed screws.

John

01/10/2021 16:13:08

Malcolm, I should think the ptfe tape would work in this application.

I'll try it first before possibly making nylon loaded screws.

That's ok Michael, these screws are new to me.

John

01/10/2021 13:05:19

I need to be able to re-adjust these screws from time to time.

The applcation is to improve the setting of the gib strips locating the saddle on a mini-lathe.

If you have experience of these machines you will know how much of a pain it is to adjust these for a good sliding fit.

There are 5 screws in each gib, the outer and centre ones are screwed into the saddle casting and the other two threaded in the gib, these two have lock-nuts. The intention is to not use the two lock-nut screws and make the three M6 screws into a friction thread version so that they retain their setting and do not rely on the pressure from the two lock-nut screws that are trying to push the gib away from the casting so giving some friction to the M6 screws.

I have been thinking about this for a while and have read all I can find about this adjustment and believe this mod will work. Time and experience will no doubt provide the answer.

John

01/10/2021 10:18:20

Some interesting and useful ideas so thanks to all of you.

John

30/09/2021 19:52:05

Thats a briliant response, many thanks all.

I think I'll go with the strimmer cord, seemed to me to be a possible solution and as John has used it I reckon it should do what I need.

John

30/09/2021 19:37:39

I would like a 12mm M6 screw, preferably socket head, that is stiff to turn in a normally tapped blind hole. I have seen thread locking screws but not in the size I want. I pondered slitting the screw that then might look like a threaded split pin or perhaps cross drilling and fitting a nylon plug. The screw must not damage the tapped hole.

These screws seem a bit rare hence the request for help.

John

01/08/2021 09:09:42

Yes Nigel, I noted the mention of other organ music.

John

31/07/2021 07:29:04

Alas, Poulenc's Organ concerto was too discordant for me. I had been looking forwad to hearing the Royal Albert Hall Willis and I was not disappointed but aside from hearing the range of pipes I could not enjoy the music.

John

Thread: Potentiometers
22/07/2021 21:40:22

Which welder!

Thread: Vehicle reversing sensors
20/07/2021 15:20:15

I was in a queue following a tractor type vehicle at around 15mph. When we reached a roundabout the tractor went round and round 'till the queue had passed.

John

Edited By modeng2000 on 20/07/2021 15:21:08

17/07/2021 12:25:21

Dave, I have suffered the problem of tin whiskers. The OC170/171 transistors can have this problem.

The whiskers grow internaly and can produce shorts between the four connection wires.

One remedy is to mechanically shock the case to fracture the whiskers or another way is to fuse the whiskers.

I ordered some replacement transistors and these had already whiskers!

John

Thread: Springy sheet brass?
16/05/2021 15:32:33
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 15/05/2021 16:06:19:

Brass is a poor material for springs but clockmakers do work harden brass to give a degree of spring tension. The way that I usually do this is to put a ball peen hammer in the vice with the ball pein up and work the brass by light taps with a second hammer using the raised ball pein as an anvil. Overworking the brass will cause it to work harden too much and crack. The brass is, not surprisingly, thinned out some due to the hammering so you need to factor this into your calculations.

Thanks for this idea Bob, needless to say it worked

John

15/05/2021 19:23:18

Well thank you all for the suggestions and ideas. i wanted to use brass because of the colour match and it seems I can probably achieve enough 'spring' by careful work hardening. Hard rolled brass might well fit the requirement if I can find a suitable thickness.

This is all a bit experimental and there might be a trade-off between hardness and thickness, Is there possibly a grain orientation requirement when considering a bend?

John

15/05/2021 15:44:57

Is there a type of sheet brass that has a spring charactersitic?

I have an application, or I should say I might have, for a flat brass sheet spring about 25mm x 75mm by about 1mm thick. I need to be able to put a slight bend of a few degrees on a long edge and to use this edge to apply pressure.

I could use clock spring material but brass would be much better.

Any suggestions please?

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate