By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for modeng2000

Here is a list of all the postings modeng2000 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Music on TV Programmes.
17/01/2022 15:58:24

Here are a coulpe of links that might be of interest.

http://www.ex-bbc.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1412272721

http://www.ex-bbc.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1640693430

John

Thread: Mini-lathe saddle casting error.
07/01/2022 19:59:25

I am very pleased to have a resolution to the faulty saddle problem. The company has recompensed me and now that I have an accurate machine I can perhaps get on with the job that showed up the error.

John

Thread: Webb Telescope
06/01/2022 06:39:21

Many thanks Alan C

John

Thread: Mini-lathe saddle casting error.
03/01/2022 14:36:14

Have received a reply to my videos expressing regret that the machine is not up to standard.

Have been offered a replacement machine and no need to return the old one. I am left wondering what the word machine includes, perhaps just the rep[lacement crosslide machined casting.

Time will tell.

John

01/01/2022 20:24:31

Thanks all for the continuing advice.

At this point I'm not going to give details of the make or supplier of this lathe. As I wrote at the begining, it is a low price mini lathe and I expected to have to make adjustments. However there is no adjustment for this fault.

It is fair to give them the chance to provide a solution. If that is not forthcoming then perhaps is the time to identify.

John

01/01/2022 14:40:03

The next chapter:- they said they were not able to see the error using the photographs I sent, or so they said!

Now they are asking for a video. I'll go along with this and see what they ask for next.

John

31/12/2021 19:22:56

'That smacks of a chinese supplier'

Yes, but I suppose it is not unreasonable. There are those around who like to try their luck.

Anyway I'll go along with them for now.

John

31/12/2021 15:48:13

I have sent the requested photographic information. We wait to see what happens next.

John

31/12/2021 06:59:29

Thanks Mikek, I believe the headstock is true to the lathe bed.

John

30/12/2021 19:45:59

A bit more measuring and I find that the saddle topslide register is not parallel with the side of the saddle, the error being such as to create the convex turning. The saddle side is at 90 degrees to the lathe bed. Deduction is that the saddle has been machined incorrectly.

John

30/12/2021 19:15:40

Thanks for the wise words. I have checked that the lathe turns parallel so that is why I believe it must be the saddle. Using a square against the crosslide side shows an out of square similar to the measured error. The crosslide and saddle sides check as true rectangles.

John, I'll have a look for these screws but I haven't noticed them before. If they are not present then I guess it's back to the supplier.

John

30/12/2021 16:17:07

I recently bought a fairly cheap mini-lathe and all seemed as expected, that is it needed a going over to set up the various adjustments.The first time I face turned a bar the result wasn't as expected. The surface is convex and the error from flat is of the order of 0.5mm in 100mm. I believe it is normal for there to be a slight deviation from flat but this is excessive.

Without any machining facilities to correct the saddle is there anything i can do to reduce the error? The top slide cannot be positioned to do the final surfacing so that I can finish this job. I only have hand tools available so am I right in thinking the best solution would be to replace the saddle?

John

Thread: Endless Repeats
27/12/2021 16:35:41

Exactly so.

John

Thread: TED JOLLIFFE
26/11/2021 17:24:31

Derek, I would like to think I helped Ted somewhat in this task.

John

25/11/2021 17:01:07

I see from the Model Engineering web site run by David Carpenter that Ted Jolliffe has died. I had many sage conversations with Ted, not always about model engineering. His contribution to Model Engineer was much appreciated.

John

Edited By modeng2000 on 25/11/2021 17:01:32

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
21/10/2021 19:58:55

A new water pipe was being installed for a near neighbour using a mole and all went well until the ground became quite soft. The mole followed gravity and was not seen again. The air pipe had to be cut as it was impossible to retrieve the working end, even though it was supposed to have a reversing facicity.

John

Thread: Hermes. A Company in Total Confusion!
14/10/2021 19:13:40

I have also had a similar delivery today.

John

Thread: Could you get away with this today
11/10/2021 16:40:06

I think this is what is missing from today's miserable offerings that are called humour.

I suppose that dates me!

Thread: M6 thread locking/stiff screw
06/10/2021 08:56:32

Just an up-date to say that following some use of the lathe, the carriage gib adjustment has not changed. So the use of a synthetic thread to stiffen the screws has provided a workable solution to this problem.

John

02/10/2021 18:16:03

Well the answer I have used to make stiff threaded screws is to place a length of thread down the hole before inserting the screw. The thread I used was model kite cord but I don't know what it is made from.

The screws can be re-adjusted it seems without loosing the stiffness.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest