By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for LADmachining

Here is a list of all the postings LADmachining has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Very basic milling questions
13/03/2010 12:39:23
Rules of thumb are not often much use when considering an activity with as many variables as milling.  A lot depends on the type of material, type and condition of the cutting tool, rigidity of the machine and workpiece etc, etc.

A much better way, I have found, is to start with light cuts of 0.25 to 0.5mm, with a new cutter, and see how the machine reacts.  You will soon find out if deeper cuts, or a faster/slower spindle speed is/are required.

The same can be said for feed speed - depends on material, spindle speed, depth of cut etc.  Again, start at a slow speed (but not too slow, as you don't want the milling cutter to rub on the material and become dull).  The machine will soon tell you by sound and feel if you are asking too much of it.

For finishing cuts, I generally leave 0.1 - 0.25mm remaining, depending again on the type of material and its rigidity.  A new cutter helps achieve a nice surface finish...

Best advice is to practice on some scrap material first, to get to know your machine.

Anthony
Thread: Issue 12 of MEW missing from digital archive?
28/02/2010 13:07:40
Issue 12 is working OK for me....  Tried it a couple of minutes ago. 
Thread: ED Racer 'times two'
25/02/2010 21:51:39
Excellent work Ramon!

Keep us posted on your progress!
Thread: Digital editions of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop.
17/02/2010 08:42:56
Posted by John Coates on 17/02/2010 08:21:14:
Posted by LADmachining on 14/02/2010 08:05:44:
All of the back issues of MEW (1-160) are available to me when I click on ''Digital Issues' under 'My Account'.  In the list of pages that appear (small boxes at the top of the page), current MEW's run from page 5 to 7.  Part way down page 7, the digital MEW subscription starts under the heading 'Model Engineers Workshop Archive Subscription'.

I can only see 122 onwards. Anyone know why this is so?
 Do you have a subscription to the Digital Editions of MEW?  If you don't, then you will only see issues 122 onwards.

If you do have a subscription, have you entered the reference number you received when you subscribed into the relevant section under 'My Account'?

Anthony
14/02/2010 08:05:44
Hi Sid,

All of the back issues of MEW (1-160) are available to me when I click on ''Digital Issues' under 'My Account'.  In the list of pages that appear (small boxes at the top of the page), current MEW's run from page 5 to 7.  Part way down page 7, the digital MEW subscription starts under the heading 'Model Engineers Workshop Archive Subscription'.

HTH

Anthony
05/02/2010 16:40:49
Rick  -
 I believe these positioning (registration) marks are due to the electronic versions being produced from the computerised layouts that are sent to the printers to produce the actual magazine.

I found that altering the printing preferences (namely page scaling/zoom) could remove these marks.  It depends what software you are using to print the files...

Regards,

Anthony
16/01/2010 22:21:39
According to the list posted by David, issues 94 and 96 have not yet been rescanned.
Thread: New MEW Digital archive - access?
08/01/2010 21:38:04
David,

It seems that MEW issue 113 onwards were produced from the print versions electronically, rather than being scanned.  They don't appear to have any pages missing, and have good quality images.

IMO, only issue 112 and earlier need rescanning - that saves a little work...!

Regards,

Anthony

Thread: Printing copies from the digital archives
06/01/2010 07:41:40
Changing the page scaling of the printer driver to 97% then allows all of the scanned page to fit on an A4 printed page.

HTH

Anthony
Thread: MEW issue 16 not available
05/01/2010 09:37:53
I had a similar problem, but DIDN'T upgrade my flash player.  I think whoever maintains the website must have sorted the problem as it has now been accessible for the last couple of days.

Anthony
Thread: That time AGAIN
01/01/2010 00:18:41
Happy new year to everybody, may your scrap bin runneth dry in 2010!
Thread: Digital speed control wiring
28/12/2009 14:04:38
Maybe this link will help:-

Anthony
Thread: New MEW Digital archive - access?
26/12/2009 10:21:57
Hi Kenny,

Once you zoom in on a page, it should re-load after a few seconds and become a lot clearer.  Sometimes this takes up to seconds in my experience.

Regards,

Anthony
20/12/2009 10:49:54
Hi David,

I now have access to the MEW back issues.

Thanks for getting it sorted.

Regards,

Anthony
17/12/2009 22:03:51
Thanks for the info John.  Looks like we're all in the same boat.  I am on a direct debit subscription too, so don't really want another....

We'll see what happens tomorrow when David gets on to the office.  Fingers crossed.

Anthony
17/12/2009 19:45:12
Obviously great minds think alike, Peter!

Anthony
17/12/2009 19:43:44
Hi David,

Thank you for your help in trying to get this sorted.  i have tried the instructions in your message posted 19:30:04.

Here is an edited version of the email I received from subscription.co.uk after paying for access.

"Thank you for your subscription.

Your Subscription Number: 00xxxxxxxx PLEASE QUOTE THIS IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS.

Start Issue: FEB 2010 delivered on or around 01/02/2010.
Expiry Issue: JAN 11 ISS 172 delivered on or around 17/12/2010.

Magazine:MODEL ENGINEERS WORKSHOP DIGITAL ARCHIVE

YOUR NAME & ADDRESS:
MR ANTHONY xxxxx
Address
Postcode

Payment: xxxx £29.00 "

Do the expiry dates mean anything?  Have I paid for another paper subscription?  I assume the system knows I am already a subscriber as it gave me the same subs number.

I can't see anything wrong with the scan on the homepage either!

@ Circlip - even if you got the mags on DVD, they would still be a 'right pigs ear' as they would no doubt be scanned from the same original magazine.

Thanks,

Anthony
17/12/2009 17:22:20
I have now put the subscriber number into the MEW digital section under 'My Details' (I am sure the box was not there earlier when I checked)...

I can still see all of the exisiting back issues of ME, and MEW back to iss. 122, but no others yet.  Maybe the servers are on a Xmas slow-down..!  I have logged out/in  and cleared browser history since updating the subscriber number.

Thanks,

Anthony

Edited By LADmachining on 17/12/2009 17:23:36

17/12/2009 15:24:38
Hi.

I have just subscribed to the new MEW digital archive.

Where do I access the issues?  They do not appear within the 'back issues' link under 'My Account', and all links on the home page take me back to the purchase page.  I have received the email with my subscriber number (which is the same as my magzine subscriber number), so I guess the payment went through OK.

Thanks,

Anthony
Thread: short runs only
12/12/2009 17:46:50
Does the engine falter and die as if it is running out of fuel, or does it stop more abruptly? 

The engine slowing gradually to a stop could be fuel starvation or incorrect mixture.

A suddent stop could be due to a mechanical problem such a too little clearance between the piston and cylinder bore.

HTH

Anthony
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest