By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for LADmachining

Here is a list of all the postings LADmachining has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quicksilver
06/06/2019 06:21:48
Posted by Meunier on 04/06/2019 20:02:32:

It may be an apocryphal story but was informed that the low hrs E.E Lightning in RAF Hendon museum in '70s had been retired due to mercury spillage in cockpit.
DaveD

The aircraft in question was XM170, which was contaminated during build. Very low flying time on the airframe when it was scrapped..

Link

Thread: Ebay - BIN watchers
08/04/2019 17:37:15

I add BIN items in my watch list, so that if the price is reduced I seem to get an email notification quicker than one of the opportunist 'You viewed this item at X price, it is now reduced by Y".

Anthony

Thread: WT2527 15cc Glow Engine
13/01/2019 20:41:05

Looking great!

Thanks for sharing the updates.

Thread: Completed Twin Inline IC Engine
02/01/2019 14:41:15

Very impressive work - thanks for sharing!

Anthony

Thread: Drain Plug
31/07/2018 18:16:18
Posted by Clive B 1 on 31/07/2018 11:43:00:

Hi Jeff

The year for the Vauxhall is 2000 the engine fitted as standard is a BMW 6 cylinder 2.5DT, I belive the same engine was also used in the Range Rover, P38

Cheers

Clive

The engine code for the BMW engine fitted to a MY2000 Omega is X25DT.

Unlikely to be major differences to the mechanical parts of the engine, just to the engine management system and other emission control equipment. The first letter of Vauxhall/Opel engine codes defines the emissions standard the engine meets.

Anthony

Thread: Lightning maps
15/07/2018 10:58:14

I signed up to be on the waiting list for the lightning detector hardware that feeds into the Blitzortung/lightningmaps.org website.

Signed up in July 2014, where there were approx 1500 people on the list. Now I am at no.35, the list has grown to 4500. It grew quickly after the site was featured on national news channels...

Thread: Boll Aero
19/06/2018 16:24:52

Does it draw fuel to the carburettor if turned over with a finger covering the air intake?

Do you get any signs of life if you prime it (sparingly!) directly into the exhaust port?

From the number of completed examples that were shown on Ron Chernich's website (modelenginenews.org) I don't think there were any show-stoppers in the plans. What date/revision plans do you have?

Regards,

Anthony

Thread: WT2527 15cc Glow Engine
08/05/2018 20:32:09

Nice work - looks like you are making good progress! smiley

02/05/2018 09:39:57

I have used mild steel and brass for the split taper bush in the past on various engines, with no issues.

Aluminium, I think, may cause issues, by galling and welding itself to the prop drive hub or the crankshaft itself.

Anthony

Edited By LADmachining on 02/05/2018 09:40:25

Thread: In-line Diesel Engine Model
17/01/2018 10:30:52

A construction article for 'DUX' - a 9.5cc single cylinder Diesel with solid fuel injection, designed by Martin Alewijn - appeared in Strictly IC magazine from Dec 2000/Jan 2001 to Aug/Sep 2001 (issues 78 to 82). I understand that back issues of the magazine are still available from the publisher at www.strictlyic.com.

As I recall from the article, the issue of drilling a very small hole in injector was avoided by making a very fine scratch in the conical seat of the injector needle, which then provided a path for the fuel and the necessary atomisation.

Anthony

Edited By LADmachining on 17/01/2018 10:32:10

Thread: Fitting Ikea Kitchen Units - Me workshop wall is on the way.
01/11/2016 21:05:29

Have you seen this installation guide?

**LINK**

I have just installed a new Ikea kitchen, and found that it is easier to mount the cabinets directly to the wall and avoid using the rail. This is especially so where two walls are not at 90 degrees to each other and there needs to be some 'fettling' of the cabinet positions to get everything to fit.

The plinths do clip to the cabinet legs, and the Metod legs are adjustable for levelling. Product code for the legs is 402.055.99. They are pre-adjusted to the 80mm height of the plinth.

Anthony

Thread: 10-32 UNF Threaded Rod
06/07/2015 20:59:30

I think the holes in the plate are towards the tighter end of the thread specifications, as an M5 screw only goes in about a turn and a bit before binding up.

Given the price of the Sherline accessories, I would expect this, though!

06/07/2015 15:43:21

Thanks everyone for their inputs so far.

I have located a more reasonably priced source for UNF studding - £2.88 per ft. A reasonable price but still a lot more than the metric equivalent.

As there is 3/16" MS bar in the materials bin, and a suitable die is on its way, I think I will give making up some studs a try. Will also make a few 10-32 test holes and see what happens when an M5 tap is run through. Come to think of it, I am sure I have an M5 helicoil kit, so maybe I will go for broke and just re-make the holes in the sub-plate with that (if I have enough of them!)

Cheers,

Anthony

05/07/2015 20:07:00
Posted by KWIL on 05/07/2015 20:00:49:

Do you really need to use 10-32 UNF?

M5 is so very close in diameter and you can buy S/S studding at £1.53 per metre!!

The clamping plate on the mill table and all of the accessories are tapped for 10-32, so I think it would cost more to buy a new piece of ali plate and re-tap it and all the other parts than get hold of some more threaded rod.

A valid point though, and one to keep in mind if the UNF studding isn't easily available.

05/07/2015 19:48:28
Posted by paul 1950 on 05/07/2015 17:52:10:

eBay

Any links or auction numbers? I looked on there and couldn't find any.

05/07/2015 16:36:16

Afternoon all.

I am looking to obtain some 10-32 UNF threaded rod, to chop into 1-4" lengths and make more hold-down studs for my Sherline mill.

It can be ordered from the USA where it is more commonplace, but the carriage works out more than the material.

Does anyone know of a UK based supplier? I only found some at Cromwell's who have a 'special offer' of £14 for a metre.

It only needs to be self-coloured steel, not diamond-coated unobtainium!

Thanks,

Anthony

Thread: Workshop electrics
30/01/2015 17:16:08

I have the RCD tripping issues when using my pillar drill with a Parker (Eurotherm) VFD installed. The Telemecanique VFD on my lathe has never caused a problem. Both have an EMC filter installed. My property has a 'TT' earthing system, as the power is brought in on overheads with no direct link back to the substation for the earth, other than that provided by an earth electrode in the ground. As such, the incoming supply is wired through a standard 30mA 80A RCBO, and the entire house goes into darkness when the supply is tripped by the VFD.

I am looking to split the incoming feed, have a time delayed 100mA RCBO installed to protect the installation between incomer and workshop, then install separate 30mA RCDs in the workshop for the sockets and machines. The domestic side of the installation will still be protected by the existing RCBO.

My installation also has 10mm sq SWA cable running between the current consumer unit (via a breakout/junction box) and the workshop. Having undetrtaken a 16th edition course on system design, verification and testing in the past, when sizing the cable there are a number of factors to take into account, not just the current carrying capacity of the cable. These are (but not limited to):

* How is the cable installed. What effect will bundling/installation within walls have on the temperature rise of the conductor and in turn the cable insulation

* What is the voltage drop over the length of the cable run (live AND neutral!) and is it within limits at expected current loading

* What is the earth loop impedance? Will this impedance allow a fault at the far end of the installation trip the protection device within the required time? Will the current let-through cause unacceptable temperature rise in the cable?

Often after working through these calculations, the cable size has to be a lot larger than first expected!

Regards,

Anthony

Thread: Ball turning
28/01/2015 19:35:41

I asked a similar question several months ago.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=94307

Rgds,

Anthony

Edited By LADmachining on 28/01/2015 19:36:03

Thread: Basic electronics help
21/01/2015 18:58:49

I seem to recall using this board (if not something very similar) when I was studying A level electronics in the mid-90's. Z80 processor if it is the one I am thinking of, although there could have been 6502 types as well.

Any programs we developed were written out in assembly language, then manually translated into machine code for entry into the keypad. Luckily the programs were never that big!

Nowadays, I would have said you would be better to get hold of an Arduino and use that to develop your programming and electronics skills.

Anthony

Thread: supercharged V12 2 stroke
14/12/2014 20:57:18

Can't wait to hear this fire into life!

Excellent work, Dean!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest