By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Smith 14

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Smith 14 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Kingscale 5" models
22/02/2021 15:36:43

Whilst it is probably not what some people would want to hear. You are buying a product not the design, that is is Kingscales IP. It is the same for any commercial product, you would not expect to get all the drawings for a car or a toaster. What I would expect however is a set of maintenance instructions and a full spare parts list with exploded diagrams.

Dave

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
21/02/2021 13:47:11

Ron

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs then disregard, but with weathering make sure you use a photograph of the prototype as a guide. It is the only way to get realistic weathering.

Dave

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
21/02/2021 10:46:47

Jason

Some finished parts which are not tooling, although I do use my printers for tooling.

Toothbrush holder, not reprinted in white and at 0.1 mm layer

img_2556.jpg

Boiler for LNWR crane tank in 4mm scale

img_1332.jpg

Replacement nose for rocket on Grandsons toy

borh2173.jpg

Bin liner containers for my sons 4mm scale layout

img_2047.jpg

Various tests for 5" gauge loco lamps (my own design)

img_2153.jpg

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 21/02/2021 10:51:03

Thread: Covid test
14/02/2021 22:24:13

Wife and I both 65 had the Astrazenica jab last Friday at our local surgery 10 mins walk down the road. In and out in 5 mins, because if you walk you do not need to rest for 15 mins. Wife had no reaction at all. My arm is a little sore, but had stomach cramps for about an hour Friday night. If you read the data sheet that you get given with the jab, this is a potential side effect. The whole thing was well organised and very efficient.

Dave

Thread: Ultra sonic cleaning
11/02/2021 21:58:37

I use Allendale general ultra sonic cleaning solution in my 2L heated version. All my machined and small soldered parts go into his machine no matter the material. For delicate stuff, watches, jewellery, 4mm scale loco chassis and bodies I have a small unheated one I put warm water and washing up liquid in.

Dave

Thread: crane uprate - where would you add some metal ?
11/02/2021 09:07:54
Posted by Martin Kyte on 11/02/2021 08:41:26:

The weight of the load is at the hook but the mass is where it was. The force moves not the mass.

Martyn

Nice point which many people are unaware of and hence it gets misused, that mass is different to weight.

Mass = Density x Volume

Weight = Mass x gravity

Essentially on Earth Mass = Weight. However on the moon the mass of an object remains the same but its weight is much lower due to the lower gravity.

Dave

Thread: Engineering / Modelling Books for Winter Evenings?
10/02/2021 10:01:45

Slide Rule by Neville Shute. His biography of his Engineering activities, an excellent read.

Vulcan 607 by Roland White. The story of the first Vulcan raid on Port Stanley during the Falklands. You will not be able to put it down although you know the story.

Handbook for Railway Steam Locomotive Enginemen. This is the bible given to engine crew by BR.

book.jpg

If you search the internet you will find it as a pdf file. If you have problems message me and I will send you a copy.

Testing Years by Roland Beaumont. He had long career flying in the war then as Chief Test pilot for English Electric. He was the pilot who did aerobatics with a Canberra at Farnbrough.

Wings On My Sleeve by Eric 'Winkle' Brown. He holds the record for the most types of aircraft flown (487) including the Messerschmitt ME163 Komet! He also holds the world record for the most carrier landings.

Some to go on with.

Dave

Thread: New Start on LBSC's 3.5" Petrolea
08/02/2021 19:45:16

Dave

I have a full 3D model of the Don Young Aspinall I am building and I work from that not Dons drawings, only using them to tick off what parts are finished.

However for someone who has no access to CAD I think you have got it about right. The only thing I would add is that the critical parts can be easily checked as an assembly on a drawing board. You do not need to fully detail each part or all parts only the bits that interact with each other. After all this was how the loco would have been designed and how things were done before CAD. I reckon with a full set of drawing available you can do it in 3 or 4 days tops.

Dave

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
07/02/2021 15:10:01

Ron

That really is looking good. Are you going to detail the bogies and underframes, it would be shame not to?

Dave

Thread: Design of boilers
05/02/2021 18:41:33
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 05/02/2021 16:23:31:
Posted by Dave Smith 14 on 05/02/2021 16:14:58:

.......By the way he uses the Stefan Boltzman equation.

The difference vis-a-vis another poster is that Martin understands it. smile

Andrew

yes

Dave

05/02/2021 16:14:58

If it is the article I remember, Martin's article is about predicting the performance of a boiler from first principles. The calculations take the form of an excel spread sheet. Martin was quite happy for people to have a copy of his excel file and you get a paper he wrote explaining all calculation method involved. By the way he uses the Stefan Boltzman equation. I have a full copy of all of it, however the copyright is Martins and so cannot let you have a copy. If you talk nicely to Jason or Neil they may be able to help with contact details or someone else who has access to a paper copy, which I don't. The articles are in the flash player digital copies which I can no longer read.

Dave

Thread: 5" Maid of Kent Build Log
04/02/2021 19:47:48

William

Agreed with using MECH for your queries, you will find good advice. I mainly post there as I am building a DY L & Y Aspinall class 27 which is a 5" gauge loco.

Dave

Thread: 3D Printed CNC soft jaws for work holding
03/02/2021 12:50:21

Alan

Great use of modern tech. Like I also use my FDM printer for assembly fixtures, drill jig etc. For anyone thinking about do the same, you need to be careful when machining or milling not to generate a lot of heat or you will soften or melt the plastic!

Dasve

Thread: Model boiler safety calculations
20/01/2021 11:53:54
Posted by Paul Kemp on 19/01/2021 21:20:41:

I don't disagree with the comments regarding the Australian code but not convinced we just need a direct copy as it is restrictive on working pressure for steel boilers and I understand prohibits some of the established boilers in use here with proven safety records such as the Simplex design.

The introduction of any code should allow grandfather rights on any existing design unless it is deemed dangerous. however if it is substantially modified and I would consider the change from crown to rods stays a substantial modification then, the modification would have to be in line with the code.

Duncan

You are correct my about para 3.4.4 it is about longitudinal rod stays, my apologies. The only stays it mentions for the crown are rod stays, so is it by inference that crown girder stays are forbidden?

Dave

19/01/2021 19:15:53

Duncan

I agree the Aussie code is well thought out and written. It is very easy to work through a new design using it. The only issue some people may have with it is the use of metric units and having to convert from imperial. Surely it should be adopted here as the boiler test code is purely that, a method of testing boilers with no guidance on what is an acceptable design. That is left to the whims of the boiler inspectors (no offence intend to them by the way) which as a professional engineer I find an odd situation.

On girder stays, para 3.4.4.1 of the Aussie code says you can use Girder stays. However para 3.4.4.2 then goes on to say they can only be used if longitudinal rod stays cannot be fitted. So whilst permitted I reckon there are not many situations where you cannot use rod stays, so effectively banned!

Dave

18/01/2021 20:13:00

Andrew

I have a copy of the Aussie code if you want a copy. It details how a person without the necessary engineering expertise can demonstrate a boiler design is structurally sound. I am modifying the design of my Aspinall boiler to delete the crown girder stays and substitute rod stays. As this is a substantial deviation from the original design a structural report is required to show no regression. I am approaching the analysis in two to ways. First I am using the Aussie code and applying it to both the original and revised design. In actual fact if you have all the data the calculation part only takes a few minutes as most of it is using tables to establish things like stay diameter and spacing. The second approach is using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) the same as Luker did in the recent ME. I have already done a steel welded boiler using FEA about four years ago, which was backed up with reference to the Aussie Steel boiler code and hand calculations. The FEA analysis was validated by my senior stress engineer at work, if you are not careful it is S!"T in gospel out. I am running two analysis of the boiler, the revised design and the existing design to give a base line and show no regression. Not sure how our boiler inspectors will react to the FEA, but they have to come in the real world, hence the Aussie back up.

Dave

Thread: Making go kart parts
13/01/2021 09:45:33

Nick

I have experience with designing hubs for racing cars and mainly used 6082 T6, occasionally using 2024 T4 if needs dictated. 6082 T6 which is very easy to get hold of and will be acceptable for your application, providing you do not go mad. 7075 is a total overkill and complete waste of money in this case, it also a lot more susceptible to corrosion issues unless protected properly.

Dave

Thread: Rejoice, Rejoice, I have at long last achieved something!
08/01/2021 14:28:28

I just use the standard LED lights from B and Q, we get the occasional failure but some in the lounge have been in place at least 3 to 4 years now and they get a lot of use. My 1970's angle poise has always had a 60W bulb in with no problems with smell or overheating.

Dave

Thread: ME magazine late again
04/01/2021 12:35:44

My digital version is not showing up either on here or pocketmags, Only had the notification for 4654 two days ago, Can Neil or someone advise what is happening please?

Thread: Christmas Disasters!
25/12/2020 22:57:27

On Wednesday I dropped one of my wife's Christmas cakes she had made for one of her relatives. She was not blessed please, even though tier 4 restrictions have prevented us taking it over to them!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest