By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Rock-Evans

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Rock-Evans has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 20 degrees vs 14.5 degrees pressure angle for gears
06/12/2019 18:28:32

I brought myself a 24" length of 1" precision ground EN1A from College Engineering Supply. I guess it is a little expensive, but on the other hand, in comparison to other parts it's not too much, and I knew it would fit well when the bearings were reamed. I didn't put bronze bushes into the hubs, so they are cast iron on the steel shaft, but I do have bronze bushes in the final drive tube, mostly because that was fairly easy to do with the castings I have from Bridport Foundry.

Thread: Issue 286 Spot drills
30/09/2019 18:46:07

Interesting article Ian. However, I'm struggling slightly to see why the small angle spot drill is bad because it must have a similar effect to a centre drill or pilot hole in that the first contact will not be the centre of the drill?

29/09/2019 17:51:37

Hi Stephen, I went for the specified 20 deg PA in the end. Steve Holder at sales@homeandworkshop.co.uk was able to supply the cutters I needed second hand at a reasonable price.

Here are some of the resulting gears:20190521_101833.jpg

2019-09-02 10.56.07.jpgHi Stephen, I went for the specified 20 deg PA in the end. Steve Holder at sales@homeandworkshop.co.uk was able to supply the cutters I needed second hand at a reasonable price. Here are some of the resulting gears:2019-07-14 19.31.31.jpg20190521_101833.jpg

Thread: What hand protection do you use?
01/08/2019 17:04:32

The wonders of the internet supplies almost everything that I need (want?). The only problem is working out what I need, and funding it.

In this case, ebay came up with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rath-s-PR88-Hand-Skin-Protection-Cream-Barrier-Cream-1L/182556874084?pageci=a35eaf1b-dc5a-4f39-aa32-1a14a16495b6&epid=930806843

Martin

01/08/2019 13:15:06

Following on from the thread about deburring, I was wondering what hand protection people tend to use in their workshops?

I've been using Rath's PR88 cream for general protection from oil and dirt having given up on latex gloves as they would split/tear on sharp edges, but do people use tougher gloves?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/05/2019 22:04:05

Today I cut the final tooth on the final drive gear of my 3" Burrell.

20190521_101703.jpg

I was really chuffed when it fitted with the drive pinion, right up until when I tried to turn it all the way around and found one tooth that didn't fit! Turns out I missed one on the final pass.

20190521_191659.jpg

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
08/05/2019 17:54:29

With all this talk of range, it reminds me that my poor old Spitfire was lucky to get 120 - 150 miles between fill-ups. We've all become used to the convenience of 140 or so years of internal combustion development. Give it a few more years of electric car and infrastructure development...

15/01/2018 19:36:50

Many thanks all for the advice and support. Neil, I'm slightly confused by your comment about undercutting, if the tooth form requires undercutting, I'm guessing that can't be done by a disc shaped gear cutter?

14/01/2018 20:45:23

Hi,

I'm looking to make a set of spur gears for my 3" Burrell. The drawings show these as 10 DP with a 20 degree pressure angle and between 17 and 70 teeth, however I'm struggling to find an affordable set of cutters with a 20 degree pressure angle (£100+ a cutter is not affordable). RDG Tools do an affordable set of 10 DP gear cutters at 14.5 degree pressure angle. How much of a difference would the two pressure angles make (understanding that the whole train needs the same DP and pressure angle) or can anyone recommend a supplier who can supply 10 DP gear cutters with 20 degree pressure angle.

Many thanks,

Martin

Thread: Digital editions of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop.
06/04/2010 11:30:27
Hi David,

I'm experiencing the same problems as Hugh was. Using either Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, when the pop-up that usually has the digital magazine in it appears it simply has the text:

A licensing error does not
permit you to View this Document

Contact your supplier for more information

I get the same message for all the back issues and these have been working in the past.

Many thanks, Martin 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest