By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Harrison 3

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Harrison 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tool steel suppliers UK
13/11/2021 17:16:18

I could do with locating a good UK supplier of 10x10x100mm or 125 mm HSS tool steel.

I'm not sure about the far Eastern stuff if it's like everything else from there hence the question, and Ebay's very hit and miss unless it's branded stock.

Recommendations appreciated

My thanks.

Edited By Jon Harrison 3 on 13/11/2021 17:20:09

Thread: Chester 920 cross slide & Backlash
13/11/2021 12:19:15

Parts arrived from the US and fitted.

My friend posted them but they didn't leave the US till the 6th.

No Customs hassle either. That can take weeks.

The old screw looked pretty good but the nut was nackered and slopping about.

Best go give it all a go. A pleasure not to be delayed.

Thank you all for the really good information provided.

Thread: Agricultural supplies
09/11/2021 09:58:55

If as I do live out in the country you might be a good way from a town where you can pick up small items you need "NOW". Adding time and fuel can make it expensive.

Agricultural supplies carry a good stock of nuts, bolts, rods and tools. Also generally tend to be cheaper than some high street suppliers. I needed 2 grub screws for my Chester lathe. The screws came free and I just had to pay for the sheets of wet and dry,

Worth a try.

Thread: Chester 920 cross slide & Backlash
02/11/2021 18:18:50

The belt was posted yesterday and arrived today - that from the Bearing shop.

Tried Beeline Engineering and that came to about £20 plus their £9 postage !!!!!!!!!!!

Parts from Grizzly arrived with my mate in the US yesterday (ordered last Friday) and in the post to me today.

Might get here by the weekend if Customs don't hang on to them.

Good to have the belt though, at lease I can turn a few little things now.

30/10/2021 17:02:18

I was wondering about the tensioner as it failed to kick out.

I have ordered 1 belt from the Bearing shop and will see what the other place comes up with on Monday.

I use the lathe in one capacity or another most days. Bit lost without it as I had the morning's work planned out. Settled on restoration woodwork instead.

30/10/2021 08:38:08

My thanks John

I've dropped them an email so should hear from them on Monday.

28/10/2021 19:37:51

Ordered parts through a friend in the US. Quicker than doing it from the UK.

Sods law struck again. Got it all working (while making allowances) only to have the belt break. I'd been thinking of getting a spare just in case then ...............

It's 700mm long 4.45 wide and 3.5 deep.

Anyone recommend a UK supplier who stocks these fine belts?

My thanks

22/10/2021 11:08:50

Back again

Couldn't get one made at anything like affordable so went back to tightening the grub screw into the nut. Appears to work ok.

Worked through everything and bar 1 issue it's much better than it was. Mf'd12/ 98 so not as old as I thought.

Current issue is the Woodruff key on the cross slide winder. The slot in the screw is worn, the winder is fine. Fix? Insert shim to tighten it?

While here, I was looking at the drive pulleys which don't appear to match the diagram on the plate.

A is the top one driving the chuck and faces in?

B is the intermediate pulley with a belt driven from the motor and faces out

C is at the bottom direct from the motor and faces outwards

Anyone have a picture of the 920 setup to hand so I can compare?

15/10/2021 13:30:25

Gentlemen, thank you all for the really valuable and informative input.

Have emailed several recommended companies / individuals and awaiting replies.

Given my current usage which is quite low I will initially be quite happy to have a working lathe, producing accurate nicely finished work. As aims and ambitions grow I'll hopefully develop more advanced skills

15/10/2021 08:20:39

Looked at the Arceurotrade one

specification...

C6-511 Cross Slide Screw Nut

• Dimensions: 30x23x21mm excl. Boss
  • Boss: ø12x9mm with fixing hole tapped M5
  • Thread Pitch: 2mm

can't tell if that would be any good though.

Does someone have the precise spec for the Chester one. I might just know someone who could make it.

With the existing nut and backlash, precision engineering just isn't there.

Am I right in thinking the Chester was rebadged Warco (?) in the US at one time?

Jon

14/10/2021 19:57:37

It's a 920 Chester in white so maybe from the 80's or 90's.

That part sawn nut was on it when got it - thought the cut looked on the rough side / unofficial.

I'm not up to making that part and the left hand thread which is why I'd like to find one off the shelf.

It doesn't do a lot of work, mainly screws and ramrod tips for antique flintlocks and percussion beasties.

14/10/2021 18:41:19

Spotted a few old posts on this subject. The under slide nut on mine is quite worn and I can't get rid of the backlash.

Just wondering if someone found a UK supplier of a replacement nut that will fit?

If I read it correctly, can the front section ahead of the slot somehow be used to eliminate backlash. Saw one with 2 horizontal front end grub screws which suggested that that particular one could be adjusted.

Have pictures to add but can't figure how to do that on this forum as they're files on the computer and don't have urls etc

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest