By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard B

Here is a list of all the postings Richard B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old Engine Restoration
26/12/2021 20:09:24

The article was by a different builder and he referred to his friend who he copied the design from whom I assume is my builder - i could post the other pages of the article. i have the 1899, 1925 and 1926 bound volumes - kept safe for 60 years !

He was very very skilled in tin plate - I remember the liners were tin plate and until a few years ago I had a fantastic tin plate hull of a schooner with internal tin plate ribs - the lines were incredably fair for strip assembled tin plate - I lent it to a friend - he died shortly after and it disappeared.

The engines are a pair and the beds are angled to suit the prop shafts.

Some where I still have a tin plate fabrication he made for crossshaft drive - I think it might have been for a paddle steamer - I'll try and find it and post a pic.

The comment about the Mamod - I was only about 10 or 11 at the time and I had no real facilities to properly couple it up and no idea either !

26/12/2021 17:42:07

img_0892.jpgimg_0891.jpgimg_0890.jpgAbout 60 years ago I was given a pair of steam engines to play with - the family who my mother knew were clearing out their fathers house - he had been a Captain I believe and later a Marine Superintendant on huge ships and had models ships that he built - one liner I saw was about 8 feet long in a huge wooden box.

As a lad I tried to get one to run on my Mamod boiler - no luck so they were taken apart ISTR and left.

Now I've found them and nearly all the parts are still in the box so i intend to try again !

They appear to be very similar to the engine in 'The Model Engineer and Electrician' dated March 12 1925 -img_0888.jpg which i was given bound copies of during the clear out.

All fabricated construction and soldered together - pistons 5/8" bore have 2 brass piston rings.

Hope of interest ?

Richard.

Not mastered how to put pics after text as yet !

img_0889.jpgimg_0894.jpg

Thread: Unknown Compound Slide
26/12/2021 17:19:17

img_0885.jpgimg_0884.jpgI have been given a compound slide (friend thought it was my sort of thing !) I don't know what is from - the rather unusual thing is that its mounting is a cruciform.

The top slide can be rotated relative to the cross slide (as normal) but its achieved by nuts beneath the top slide.

Any ideas what its from - the hand wheels have evidence of being chrome plated at some stage. Thread seems to be imperial and not much wear on slides.

Not sure what use I can put this to either at present.img_0887.jpg

Thanks,

Richard.

Thread: Startrite Mercury MkI nutset threads
01/10/2021 18:23:45

You have mail - switch soon to be in the post complete with 4BA set screws,

R.

01/10/2021 10:36:38

Hi Jon,

Found out where your PM's reside ! have replied.

Not sure I'd bother with reverse on a heavy drill.

I mounted my new contactor box on a wide aluminium bracket bent to less than 90deg to the left side of the base on my machine so it falls easily to hand with nice big buttons !

I could have use an electronics engineer when the new contactor box turned up - Chinese - no instructions/wiring diagram and set up to fit a thermal overload which was not supplied (or required) so loose tails to sort.

R.

30/09/2021 15:03:08

Forgot to mention my drill motor is the low speed (930 rpm) single phase.

R.

30/09/2021 14:53:56

Hi Jon,

No PM received - I think there is a minimum number of posts required and as I just joined that may be the problem ? I will try and PM you.

Had another look at the switch - its made by TOK switches Ltd. marked P13/1 15A 200v, 7A 440v, AC only.

Yes the switch is On/Off in two positions in rotation.

I've just taken the really heavy PVC insulation 'boot' off it to see the wiring - the earth is looped through and not wired into switch. it has three contacts marked 1,2and 3 and another three marked !A,2A and 3A - only the 1 and 2 /1A and 2A are used -. the 3 /3A also makes and breaks with the switch action.

Not sure if its any good to you - electrics are not my best subject !!!

I'll post a couple of pics in my album.

R.

Thread: Hi from North Somerset
25/09/2021 20:50:18

As suggested I've added some pic's into an album - hope of interest ?

Richard.

Thread: Startrite Mercury MkI nutset threads
25/09/2021 20:30:50

I alo have a Startrite Mercury, mine developed a motor starting issue and I stripped the electrics out and cleaned out the motor - capacitor had failed - no marking so I made a judgement on size and it works currently !

In doing so I replaced the original rotary switch with a contactor box type - so if you are interested in an original switch with very clean plate and original pvc insulation 'boot' PM me.

Richard.

Thread: Hi from North Somerset
23/09/2021 21:21:56

I've been lurking for a while so thought I'd better register !

I'm pretty much self taught and been making models of various types and always fixing things for a large part of my life.

Started building engines many years ago with a Stuart D10 for my Steam boat - the engine runs well but the boat is still only 95% complete and will need boiler updating/testing. Completed numerous 10 V's picked up part built, a Minnie Traction engine 50% complete and currently working on a Stuart Compound which again is about 50% complete. Work always got in the way !

Machinery - a Cowells lathe and Mill, Denford Viceroy TDS 1 - GB lathe, a late Metric item, well tooled up which I bought from a mates dad who had it from new and was retiring - I fitted a Newon Tesla drive which was a great improvement. A sensitive drill which I picked as parts from a BSMEE auction 35+ ? years ago and completed with lots of ideas from Geo Thomas's excellent book.

I also recently finished a small tool grinder using an old parts Perris lathe with a 24volt DC treadmill motor and Chinese speed controller which works well.

Oh sorry if this is a bit of a long intro - I put it down to age !

Richard.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest