By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Drew

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Drew has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Absolute beginner, just bought a cheap lathe
25/09/2021 10:51:19

My thanks for your suggestions, I have now removed the top slide and bought a quick change tool post. Using a 10mm piece of aluminium as a filler I have mounted the tool post to the cross side and have the lathe running now. Still some mods to do as the tool post is too close to the centre line and I could do with it being 2mm lower as the tools are as low as they will go and are still slightly above the centre but it’s a start! First project will be a new handle for the tool post as the one that was supplied is pretty flimsy and they forgot to tap both ends!

20/09/2021 21:22:47

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have bought a 25mm block of steel which is the correct height for the top slide and am in the process of making a 'block' for the tool post to sit on I've mocked it up with a 20mm piece of steel which I had lying around from my press and this would work other than the tools sitting too low but I may either use the 25mm piece or make up a filler to vive me a better surface finish as I don't have a mill. Either way I hope to up and running this week. Have some new cutting tools arriving and I will try and get hold of some alloy bar to practice / mess about with. I do need to turn a spacer for an engine mount for a Laverda I am rebuilding so that may well be my first project - nice and simple !

20/09/2021 13:26:27

Thanks Dave, my limited knowledge would suggest that now the tool post would be too high and I wouldn't be able to lower the tool enough to centre. I have found a piece of 15mm plate of the correct dimensions and I think for now I will modify this to act as a fixed top slide. I can then look around for another top slide but having read a little more it seems this is a common fault with this machine.

I don't want to take too long to get up and running as otherwise I may get bored and just give up! I'm certain I will have a load more questions!

20/09/2021 10:17:21

I suspect this is beyond saving - when I got it the captive nuts had been welded in but the weld had lifted so the tools could not be mounted securely. Tried re-welding but it's not the easiest material to weld and although it looked OK obviously had not penetrated the material as just lifted again. I do have a similar thickness plate of steel from my hydraulic press which I am thinking I could modify to make a fixed mount for the tool post.

lathe1.jpg

19/09/2021 21:06:02

See, I said I was a complete novice, of course you are correct it’s the top slide which is broken! I had heard of just removing it but then I couldn’t see how the tool post would mount as it uses 2 m8 bolts to attach to the top slide and of course there aren’t any mounting points on the cross slide. BTW i am located just outside Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire…. The height of the tool post also relies on the top slide so without it the tools would be very low and there isn’t enough adjustment to raise them. I had thought of drilling and tapping the other end of the top slide and just reversing it which I can’t see why it wouldn’t work…

19/09/2021 16:43:27

Hi All,

completely new to engineering of any kind but always wanted to have a go so I recently bought a Hobbymat MD65 lathe just to have a play and see what I could make. Unfortunately being new and the seller not being up front I have just found out that the cross slide is broken, the captive nuts holding the tool post have pulled out rendering the lathe pretty useless. I want to try and fix this as my first job and was wondering if anyone else uses this kind of lathe and has had a similar problem? If so are there any fixes other than trying to find a replacement? Thanks for any suggestions!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest