By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hamilton

Here is a list of all the postings colin hamilton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop warming
28/04/2022 12:52:24

I've got a space heater which is good but of course you need to buy the fuel. I also put in a log burner which is great and I can scavenge most of the fuel but I find myself sitting in front of it drinking tea!!

Thread: Vice - again
06/04/2022 15:11:52

Thanks everyone. ARC Euro seem to be a well respected supplier so I think I am just going to go with them. Although I may go for the 125mm Versatile with the swivel base rather than the 160mm SG iron

06/04/2022 07:21:34

Thanks everyone. Yes it's a bridgeport. I checked on the Bridgeport user group and the 6 inch seems to be the standard. I know the ARC euro Vices are imported same as the vevor items but I was wondering if there was going to a difference in quality?

05/04/2022 09:38:09

Appologies for another vice question. I'll try and keep it specific.

Is the ARC Versatile SG Iron Milling Vice worth the extra £130 when compared to the Accu Lock Vise (6 inch versions).

Thanks Colin

Thread: Balls!!
01/04/2022 11:44:23
Posted by Pero on 01/04/2022 09:49:50:

I found quite an extensive range on Aliexpress. Various sizes available. Some with threaded brass inserts, some without. The ones I have are a hard plastic ( phenolic resin? ). The colour range is a bit limited, but OK if you like red or black.

I'm not sure what size mill you have but you could find 20 mm a little small. 30 - 40 mm seem to be more common on machine tools.

Hope this helps

Pero

It's a bridgeport. Thanks for the advice

01/04/2022 11:43:38

Thanks everyone. I've not got a wide choice of balls!!

01/04/2022 08:47:54

So my mill is missing a few 'tightening levers' for locking the quill and the motor in place. They seem simple enough to make. Can you buy the small balls to go on the end? I was hoping for something around 20mm threaded to say m6. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Cheers Colin

Thread: Motor mounting details
29/03/2022 20:31:24

When I was digging out the star point the wires just all gave way and broke down. I'm actually looking forward to trying to repurpose the other motor. I did have a quick word with a motor rewind shop and it's going to be too expensive. If it all goes wrong I'll get one of those unit's that sort of hang off the leadscrew.

29/03/2022 10:32:04
Posted by mgnbuk on 29/03/2022 10:14:16:

Metric motor flange dimensions

Above link gives dimesnisons of standard metric motor mounting flanges.

Nigel B.

Super useful-thanks

29/03/2022 10:23:57
Posted by John Haine on 28/03/2022 22:31:48:

Is the motor really dead, or has the capacitor (if single phase) gone, or some other fault? Induction motors themselves almost never "die" uness it emitted a lot of loud brown smelly smoke.

It really is dead because I killed it trying to rewire it to delta!!

28/03/2022 21:40:45

20220328_172938.jpgSo the motor on my milling machine table feed is dead. I've got another motor but the fittings are different. I intend to make a plate which will interface between the mill and the motor. I presume the motor mount will be to a standard which I can reference to get the dimensions? Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Cheers 20220328_172739.jpg

Thread: Milling - first cuts
16/03/2022 17:48:17

Thanks for this. I've definately been ticking a number of the issues highlited.

Scesp steel of unknown origin

Being tentative with the cutting

Climb cutting

Not working out the correct speed

16/03/2022 12:39:06

So I've just got my first mill up and running sojust had a go at some actual machining. I've bought myself a set of cutters from rdg tools and thet are labelled as slot drills and end Mills. To me the only real difference Sean's to be in the number of flutes (2 or 4) Are either of these suitable for 'plunge' cutting? I'm trying to machine a slot that doesn't break through the side of the work and I'm not having much luck but I'm doing much better when feeding in from the side.

screenshot_20220316-123135_chrome.jpg

Thread: Suspension Bush material
16/03/2022 12:12:44

I was hopingbthe nylon was going to reduce the possibility of binding. It sounds like this could still be an issue with nylon in the rain!

16/03/2022 12:11:46
Posted by duncan webster on 16/03/2022 00:39:45:

If you make the spoked wheels slope inwards to the top I think they will resist side loads due to cornering better. This because the outer wheel has higher down load due to the cg being above road level, so the side load at commencement of slip is higher, and the combined is more likely to be in the leaned over plane of the wheel. The optimum will depend on the coeff of friction, and the relative cg height to track.

Edited By duncan webster on 16/03/2022 00:40:51

Thanks for this. I have been learning all about this. What you are referring to I think is called camber. We will be having a bit of this but also some kingpin inclination to reduce the scrub radius (he says hoping he sounds like he knows what he is talking about!!)

15/03/2022 21:22:58

Thanks for all the input. Give the use I definately dontvghink they are strictly needed and I certainly could just buy them but I'm trying to kearn machining and I'm always looking for opportunities to try something new.

Dave - you are right it's all about the wheels. I'm currently buying all the second hand bmx's I can find (apparently 20 inch bmx wheels are the sweet spot) I've also got the front wheels off mine and my wife's twist and go scooters. They are a bit heavy but definately won't fold. I also like the idea of hydraulic disc brakes as the course is 18 degrees and nearly a kilometre long!!!

14/03/2022 11:30:04

screenshot_20220314-112106_google.jpg

So I'm in the process of building a gravity soapbox race car. We have gone for double wishbone suspension. A bit like the screen shot in the picture. This is not my design but have added it to help my description. In the joint where the wishbones are bolted through the brackets I was thinking of adding a couple of 'plastic' washers to help reduce any slop but still allow articulation.

Is this a good idea a what would be the best choice? Nylon 6 or 66 or acetal are all coming up when I Google it. Any tips on turning this sort of material would also be appreciated.

Thanks Colin

Thread: How to make this?
22/02/2022 11:57:41

This forum is awsome.

I was going to buy but my pedestal spindles are chunky so not sure if I could buy. Also I've spent shed loads on the machines so it seems odd not to spend more on materials than buying and having a go!!!

Sounds like manual control of depth on the course setting making use of a home ground tool is the way to go. What could possibly go wrong!!!

Cutting from thick to thin makes a lot of sensesmiley

22/02/2022 10:17:12

I'm looking to convert and old freestanding pedestal grinder into a buffing machine. Would it be possible to make one of these shafts on my manual lathe. Is if possible to cut a tapered thread?

Thanks Colin

screenshot_20220222-100536_ebay.jpg

Thread: Crank handle method and sequence
19/02/2022 09:38:28
Posted by Dave Wootton on 19/02/2022 09:12:52:

Full write up on ball handle's in Geo H Thomas's Model Engineers workshop book, still available from Tee publishing. Much else besides in there , essential reading.

Dave

Thanks, now on my B'day list!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest