By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dog on wheels

Here is a list of all the postings Dog on wheels has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making a new screw for a bench vice
03/09/2021 09:28:33

I had thought about something like that, Howard, but there is a flange on the screw that is 1 1/2" diameter so it wouldn't be of a huge advantage to do so. Besides, with the tommy bar being loose in the cross-hole, the pressure from tightening is taken on the edges of the hole, which would be the Loctited part and so the new bit would only be taking any pressure if the Loctite slipped anyway.

I think I've decided that it would just be simpler to make the whole thing from scratch and EN16T is a bit cheaper than EN24 so I'll probably use that. I was drawn to EN24 because I have used it in the past and know that it machines well. I've never used EN16 but the technical information I can find suggests that it'll be okay to turn. I suppose I'll see how it goes.

02/09/2021 14:33:17

Thanks for your helpful replies.

Unfortunately, for me to keep the original shape of the 'bulb' where the tommy bar goes through, it would need to be made from 2" diameter material. Unless I make it from 2 pieces, possibly making a new screw and fixing it somehow to the original 'bulb'. I'm not so keen on doing this because I can't see how I'd be able to do it without introducing a new weak-point. It would save rather a lot of roughing out (and material cost) though.

I'm not sure I fancy going to all of the effort to make it from EN1A, unless I was sure that it would be good enough (which I'm currently not). I'd be very curious to know what the original is made of. It clearly isn't anything special to have bent as it has done, and it files very easily. Maybe it is just plain old mild steel, perhaps it is intended to fail before the main castings under heavy loads?

Yes, the thread is 1" x 5tpi buttress form.

I would be able to straighten it well enough for it to work (it's hardly a precision instrument after all) but the thread is damaged in one place so there would always be an area of motion where it would not be engaging very well on the nut and would likely jump the threads under load. The original thread doesn't look to be too well-made either. The peaks of the thread are sharp on one side and truncated on the other, so it's probably eccentric to the outer diameter.

02/09/2021 09:03:16

I have come upon an old Parkinson No.7 bench vice which has a bent and damaged screw. It would seem unlikely but all I can think that could have caused the damage is that it has been over-tightened and this has pushed the screw away from the half-nut, bending it in the process. The damage on the screw threads matches the length of the nut. Surprisingly, the nut looks fairly okay, so I was pondering on making a new screw for it.

What I've been wondering is what would be the most appropriate grade of material to use. It would surely have to be something better than EN1A, although the original doesn't seem very tough at all. My thought is that EN24 would be best for the job. It would be an expensive piece of material though (probably more than the vice is worth) and so I wondered what other people's thoughts might be.

Thread: Hello from new (and old member)
04/07/2021 18:21:12

Hello Brian,

Mostly just playing. I enjoy making tooling and other bits more than anything. I did have a set of castings for a Stuart No.7 vertical steam engine but I ended up selling them because I realised that I would never get around to building it myself. Besides, I really hate machining cast iron.

I have a rotary broach underway at the moment. It is my own design but is heavily influenced by pictures that I've seen of the Hemmingway kit. I have no immediate use for such a tool but what does that matter! Next on the list is some sort of squareness comparator.

04/07/2021 17:19:55

I forgot to say, I'm based in north Leicestershire, though I'm originally from South Yorkshire.

04/07/2021 09:10:18

Hello everyone. I was a member (though an infrequent poster) on here years ago but that account appears to have been removed.

I've made a new account and hope to get more involved in the discussions.

I've been a subscriber to the magazine on and off for years. I tend tend to spend my workshop time pottering about making tools, jigs and fixtures for projects that never get done.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest