By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rob Wheatley

Here is a list of all the postings Rob Wheatley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taps and Dies
13/07/2021 22:45:20

My tap and die set came from machine mart, I've had it years and its still going strong, it's a 3 to 12mm Clarke HSS set, taper, second and bottom of each size, die's are non split ones but the threads they cut are not loose at all.

Thread: Mancave insulation
11/06/2021 22:49:17

Oh cool, I won't be starting it until probably Thursday, if I can get the ply delivered, insulation was going to be from wickes or B&Q.

Any idea of what thickness it was?

How much do you want for it?

11/06/2021 19:54:41

Thanks for the answers guys, so thinking 50mm rockwool with a vapour barrier would be the safest bet then, 60m² is about £200 plus the barrier, 3 rolls of the bubble would be £225.

Did put a breathable barrier behind a lot of the cladding but one side does get a bit damp if it rains very hard, typical it's the side I cannot get to, think its where the rain comes off the roof and hits the fence rails next to the wall bouncing into the side.

Will staple the barrier in first then the insulation.

I'm in the medway towns Pete, are you in Kent too then?

11/06/2021 12:08:29

Hi all, finally getting around to insulating and boarding the Mancave over the next few weeks but have a question about the insulation.

The building is a 3m x 6m wooden "shed" 75x47mm frames with 20mm wooden cladding boards, I intend to put 9mm ply or osb on the inside for walls and want to put insulate the void, I did think about 50mm polystyrene or kingspan boards (very expensive) also rockwool but have found 25m x 1.2m silver "bubble" rolls for £75 each, 3 will do the whole thing.

Anyone used this sort of stuff and most importantly is it any good, blurb says it's equivalent to 65mm of rockwool which is about what i would get in the gaps but then have to think about damp and critters, the walls will be totally closed off but sure something will get in.

Thinking if the foil stuff works, damp is no problem then and if it is flat to the inside boards air can flow around the void to ventilate them.

Thread: Slipping ER25 collet and best practice
10/06/2021 23:08:42

Don't forget they only have a small range they will close up on, generally 1mm over 5mm and 0.5mm for sizes under 5mm, if I'm using a 10mm shank end mill I will always use the 9-10mm collet not the 10-11 mm one.

It helps to have a complete set of metric and imperial ones.

Thread: What is the SX3 Drawbar thread.
28/05/2021 17:41:36

Think it depends on what collet it is, if it's R8 then it is indeed 7/16

Thread: X-axis power drive
26/05/2021 20:19:54

I have fitted X and Z powerfeeds to my mill with nema 23 steppers, X is direct drive to the leadscrew, the Z is belt driven with a high reduction (6:1)

The X axis can be moved easily when the power is off but the Z is very stiff unless I unplug the stepper.

I am going to install relays to power down the drivers and disconnect the steppers if I need to move manually.

At some point, when I'm feeling brave, I will drill a hole in the top of the column and direct drive the Z too but will go to a nema 34 for that one.

Thread: Remote Compressor Drain Tap
25/05/2021 14:53:47

I fitted an auto drain solenoid to my compressor, it scares the bejesus out of me every time it let's rip.

Hope to move the compressor (and dust extraction unit) out of the workshop very soon into a little sub shed at the back so it had to be auto or it would never get drained.

Thread: Any views on using Fairy Liquid in a concrete mix
24/05/2021 19:16:00

Bet the mixer is sparkling clean and the builders have very soft hands though. laugh

Thread: Home Made Steam Driven Trip Hammer doing some work
24/05/2021 13:40:14

It does make your eyes go funny with the 2 hammers lol, looks good though.

Thread: Water soluble coolant
20/05/2021 12:18:56

Will adjust the mixture, says between 10 and 20:1 so will make it nearer 10:1.

I did put a film of oil under the vice before bolting it down, will take it off every so often and clean/renew the oil.

Now just have to get the table to drain the right way, only one drain point and sod's law says the coolant goes to the other end!!

20/05/2021 09:49:18

Probably a silly question but I have just fitted a mist coolant system and about to fit a flood coolant one too, now do I have to dry the table/vice totally to avoid them rusting or does the coolant have a corrosion inhibitor in it? not so worried about the slots on the table just the top surface and the vice.

The coolant I'm using is Sarsol at 20:1 mix.

Thanks

Rob

Thread: Clarke Tig Welding Gas Bottle/Regulator
16/05/2021 09:19:12

+1 to get a proper bottle and decent regulator, there are suppliers local to me that you buy the bottle and just pay for the refill when you need it, no rental.

I think the pure argon I use is about £50 for the gas, lasts ages.

They even deliver them the same day!

Did start with 2 disposable bottles, lasted about 20 mins each, very expensive way to do it.

Thread: NEW SCAM
09/05/2021 08:51:12

If someone phones you and you hang up on them all they do is keep their phone connected (on hold) and it would indeed appear to be cut off, they are still connected, they then just hang up and ring you back.

Thread: Workshop and Drilling holes with an ER collet chuck
02/05/2021 23:47:08

Thanks for that, will stick the micrometer on it tomorrow and check.

02/05/2021 19:50:18

Thanks for the honest replies.

Well at least I won't get burnt at the stake then using the er collet, I do like the idea of a chuck with a parallel arbour though, the drills I use are ONLY for the mill, brand new set so pristine shanks, going to get another set in 0.1mm increments, then this set 0.5mm can be used in the drill press.

First thing I tried with the R8 drill chuck was the keyway, removed any burrs and looked at it but no signs of it catching, I think it's the top parallel that is ever so slightly to big, might give it a spin in the lathe with some emery.

Glad I'm not the only messy bugger lol, was avoiding pictures out of embarrassment.

02/05/2021 04:59:04

I have been tapping on mine too as it has the tapping function, it was scary at first as they were only M3 but was fine, nice straight threads.

02/05/2021 00:18:16

Hi all.

Sort of a question, do you use your ER collet chuck in the mill to drill holes or do you put a drill chuck in?

Been doing a few bits with the new mill, mainly brackets and motor mounts for the powerfeed and I am finding it easier and quicker to use the ER collet chuck to hold the drill bits rather that change to the drill chuck, one reason is the R8 arbour on the drill chuck is very tight in the spindle, it goes in easy but is a bugger to remove, so much quicker to swap collet (I have all sizes from 1mm to 20mm)

Now is it the done thing the way I do it or is it shunned upon?

Does anyone else seem to spend more time tidying up the workshop than actually working in it?

Granted I'm a messy worker and the inside of the mancave is not finished (insulation and internal panels) so the three 8' benches were put in but I have no real hand tool storage and I have a lot crammed into it (mill, mini lathe, drill press, 10" cabinet saw/router table, blasting cabinet, compressor, dust collector, belt sander, bench grinder, bandsaw, computer with twin monitors, all on the benches/floor standing plus a tig welder, mig welder, small planer thicknesses, mitre saw, morticer,another bandsaw under one bench and shelving under the other 2 with all the power tools under one and hardware under the other.

I do have a small roller tool chest that I need to sort out so my hand tools tend to live on whatever bench or horizontal surface is available!!!

My mancave is 10' x 20' timber construction, I built it about 18 months ago at the end of the garden with 3 feet behind it (10' end) so I'm going to put part of the old shed I have in pieces in the gap on the end to house the dust collector and compressor (both noisy buggers) and a rack to store long materials.

Thread: Milling machine thoughts?
30/04/2021 01:36:31

I am thinking of mounting then in front of the scale, switches piggyback on the head and a bar with sliding stops on the scale.

I did think of the scale behind the table but with the two lots of way covers it would have been a pain and I would have lost some travel.

Z stop are easier, bracket on the side of the head and switches on the column.

I have roller ended micro switches so the stops will be a ramp so they don't get smashed if something goes wrong, they will be wired NC to account for wire damage too.

28/04/2021 22:42:21

The powerlift bracket was for proof of concept, need to tidy it up, make covers etc, same for the powerfeed.

Yes did see it had gone up, still think its worth it, it arrives set to Chinese language and the instructions are JUST in Chinese, that was fun changing it to English, good old google translate on the phone!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest