By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Luker

Here is a list of all the postings Luker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ballaarat construction series
12/09/2021 05:57:07

Posted by tom hardy on 12/09/2021 00:34:09:

if you are looking for another project 3 steam whims were made in yarloop wa around 1900 a modeller in the netherlands loek proper built one in 1918 and there are 2 videos on you tube he got his information from the pickering brook heritage web site when googling steam whim model i have started to do a whim

Hi Tom, my next project is well on its way. Design complete, boiler, frames and all castings done. But these Whims look great! I won't tackle multiple projects at once but these will be added to my possible projects list!

steamwhim33.jpgsteamwhim36.jpg

08/09/2021 13:28:01

Hi Tom, the DFX files for laser cutting are rather extensive and contain all the process specific tolerance and machining allowance built into the files. There is enough information for an unscrupulous commercial entity to use them to make kits at ridiculous prices to the detriment of the designer (and builders). I therefor will not give out the DFX files, but there is more than enough information in the series to draw them up yourself, or even better just let the laser cutting guys do it for you.

18/08/2021 06:50:09
Posted by Chris Perkins 3 on 17/08/2021 20:03:27:

Very Nice Luker !

I notice on the Drawings on the digital format of M E their are a few dimensions missing around the horns on the frames . Am I too keen or will these become apparent later in the series !?! Before I cut metal I prefer to model it in Inventor .

Enjoying what I have seen so far !

Chris

Hi Chris, yep you right I missed a few there. All the articles are written to complete a section of the build so I generally won't go back and say drill holes in a completed frame. If you find any dimensions missing please let me know and I'll add the drawings to the forum and update mine. Most of the missing dimensions will be because the item was laser cut using a DFX or 3D printed for the patterns.

Please post some pics of your progress! Can even add it to the series as a post script...

frame horns.jpg

Thread: Filling the boiler
17/08/2021 16:30:47
Posted by duncan webster on 17/08/2021 13:04:57:
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/08/2021 23:03:24:

Through the injector?

I'd have thought the overflow valve would prevent that? It opens to outwards flow, not inwards.

the water gets in between the end of the combining cone and the delivery cone downstream of the check valve. Photo from Manual of Steam Loco Construction.

For locos that require lower feed rates the delivery cone hole can become small. For my Stirling single I made 10oz injectors with the delivery cone hole just under 0.5mm. Filling up the boiler through that might take a while...

I generally fill from the blowdowns, it cleans the valve seat as a bonus...

Thread: Ballaarat construction series
17/08/2021 16:09:47

For everyone following the Ballaarat construction series here's a nice video showing the frames and linkage in motion.

08/08/2021 17:26:37
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 08/08/2021 14:35:27:

Luker, that's a fine little engine you've made and in such a short space of time. Enjoyed the video doesn't she run well.

If I was 30 odd years younger I'd be tempted to have a go, but not now, not enough time and too many other things to do.

In the 20 or so years I have been visiting Australia I have been to the coastal town of Busselton on many occasions. First spotted the full size Ballaarat in 2018 not longer after it took pride of place in the visitor centre. A handsome engine beautifully restored. At the time I commented that it would be suitable for modelling and low and behold here we are. I like others will enjoy you're build series.

Are you an Aussie Luker? All the best

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, she is a lot of fun on the track. One of the benefits of virtually checking everything before building it. No I'm not from Aus but I have done work there. Some of the local vernacular was used in the series to make it more interesting. I hope you and the readers find the series of interest. It’s always tricky writing a construction series; I try to keep it interesting enough so that non-builders won’t get bored.

I was invited to the 150 Year anniversary this year in Busselton, but unfortunately I could not attend. Maybe one day I'll get to see the old girl!

07/08/2021 07:34:25

The valve glands on the steam chest as well as the piston side cylinder cover has some interesting detail...

20201013_160242.jpg

20200803_083724.jpg

07/08/2021 07:30:07

One casting that might be difficult to find is the smokebox door, but this could easily be built up or machined from a disk. The cutout at the bottom is something unique.

20201013_160831.jpg

07/08/2021 07:28:00
Posted by Phil H1 on 06/08/2021 20:25:04:

I would have thought that the wheels can be taken from another design? Maybe even the cylinders too? There is bound to be an engine out there already with similar sizing?

I think you may find similar castings, any inside frame Stephenson 5g model with similar bore and stroke could probably be modified. The cylinder castings and cylinders are shown below. The fancy cutouts around the steam ports are only to improve the castability, and aren't necessary (besides these are at the bottom and on the large loco this was covered in cladding).

20200509_145615.jpg

20200701_142933.jpg

05/08/2021 15:53:40

Thanks guys; Jon I like the wiki page!

Jason; there should be enough dimensions to make patterns. If any are missing it wasn't intentional. I have no doubt that there is no casting I can come up with that you can't fabricate! But for the average builder or even the beginner I don't think any of the parts will pose much of a problem (to fabricate). The cylinders will require a decent torch, and some of the detail can be left out to simplify.

With the price of hacksaw blades and files I think the laser cutting comes out cheaper, I’ve started cutting up my old band saw blades to make hacksaw blades… laugh

04/08/2021 15:59:20
Posted by Rob McSweeney on 04/08/2021 14:21:52:

Anyone done a build cost estimate on Ballaarat yet?

I can’t help with exact costing because most of the materials came from scrap or left over stock from one of my previous builds. The design uses common bar stock and metric fasteners available from pretty much anywhere. The main items were as follows:

Laser cutting $138 (this includes the frames, linkages and boiler - laser cut and rolled)

Castings from scrap

All boiler fittings machined from risers or non-ferrous hex bar, depending on the position

All copper steam lines from refrigeration tubing

Paint - 2k automotive paint

I used a model engineering trade gauge someone gave me but this will be replaced as soon as I make a batch of gauges for my current loco.

04/08/2021 07:09:24

And a video of the little one going around our little track...

04/08/2021 07:07:31

Hi everyone, here's a video of the real Ballaarat resting in state...

Thanks to Jacquie for sending it through!

20/07/2021 13:40:48

Hi All, the first installment of the little Ballaarat is in the current issue. I'm quite excited about sharing this build! I hope everybody enjoys the series. Here's a small animation of the design. I removed the back panel to make the backhead more visible.

Thread: advice old British motorcycle
06/07/2021 17:16:06

Any late 50's twin cylinder. Parts are interchangeable for the most part, kick start easy and have that lovely sound that only a twin can produce.

My Ariel 650 has BSA heads and rockers…

Thread: Surface finish when turning.
27/06/2021 08:15:27

Hi Robin, I normally don't get involved with online prognosis because there could be any number of reasons for what you getting there, but in this case I feel your pain! I had something similar when I bought my lathe and it was actually a design issue on the machine itself, and very specific to the machine, so may not be applicable to you. Most of the modern Eastern import gear head lathes sold with CQ numbers suffer from this. If you drop us a picture of your lathe and makers code, and its the same as mine I'll take some pictures with a short write-up and post...

Thread: What's in a Word? ME 4667 Postbag
20/06/2021 16:50:57
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/06/2021 15:41:59:

Strong stuff, and unfair in my view because Mr Martin's article isn't gibberish or jargon, not guilty! As such stuff goes, his is a relatively gentle introduction to a difficult subject, admittedly not to everyone's taste.

I also thought the letters were a little harsh, with the author doing a good job in keeping the article and topic simple for most people to grasp the underlying principles. Seems people are very quick to complain about errors in drawings or poorly designed models but modern design methods like parameterization and linked 3D geometries don't find favour (at least if these letters are to be taken as the norm). If a designer uses all these CAD methods then models can be virtually assembled, the linkages tested and dynamically checked and drawings produced to a much better (building) standard than in the good old days of drawing boards. I for one enjoyed that article and found it informative, and make extensive use of parameterization, linked geometries, dynamic simulations, FEA and all other manners of jargon that you hear politicians say on a daily basis. laugh (for Howard )

Thread: drilling a bearing ball
07/06/2021 07:06:48

I had to replace a lost probe point a few years back. Normal inner ball from a std bearing was annealed similar to how Jason suggested; the only difference, it was heated on some dry sand (with a little dishwashing liq) and pushed in with a wooden dowel. Was drilled and tapped using HSS. Any concentricity issues are inherently solved by the small centre drill breaking, but even with a wobbler type probe if you centre it with your finger on the ball all will be good...

probe point.jpg

Thread: What is your favourite "unusual tool that you find useful" ?
05/06/2021 07:46:21

Press stick; used for center finding and assembly aid. Also good to stick charts to workshop walls..

20210605_083531.jpg20210605_083450.jpg

04/06/2021 07:12:39

Looking forward to this thread!

Here's mine: Its a V-block set that can be used as an angle as well...

angle and v-block.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest