By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ADRIAN THOMPSON 3

Here is a list of all the postings ADRIAN THOMPSON 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: M E Beam engine
04/02/2022 16:43:21

img_5517.jpgHi I part through machining the cylinder and and having read David Haythornwaite excellent article on building the M E Beam engine where he suggested that instead of 6 studs in the cylinder cover it looks better if 12 studs are used. So that is what I have done. I made a dummy stud for where the steam chest bolts onto the cylinder otherwise it would have a gap in the ring of studs. The dummy stud is tapped only into the cover, see photo.

I have been busy with the beam and have machined the bearings and placed them in situ. I never realised how important alignment is when trying to align the cylinder and beam. I think this is going to be the worse job of the build. Let me know what you think. Adrianimg_5514.jpg

23/01/2022 19:41:19

Hi I am building the M E Beam engine and I have posted problems with the Reeves castings. When I phoned they admitted the entablature castings were all chilled and so I decided to fabricate the entablature from steel. I obtained a strip of 4mm mild steel and machined a groove down the centre. see photo. Next I realised that using heat to form it into a `U` shape would distort it, so I made a simple bending jig and that worked really well. I cut the shape to size and silver soldered the entablature together. see photo. I left the entablature in one piece rather than cut the end in two and mounted it on the column. I think it looks good and took less time and machining a casting. I was not very keen on the brown mahogany base so I covered the top in aluminium and will engine turn the aluminium to give it a more modern look. What do people think of this? Adrian

Thread: Machining Cast Iron?
05/01/2022 16:57:41

Hi I am attempting to m/c a reeves casting of the Entablature for the M E Beam engine. The casting is so hard that it has chilled when casting. I have`nt come across this before so I tried to flycut the outside edge with a carbide insert tool. I have machined Stuart castings without any problems but with Reeves casting, sparks were flying all over the place. No chance of machining it so I have sent it back to Reeves for a replacement. I have a question to ask, Can the chilled iron be annealed making it softer, or is it scrap? Thanks Adrian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest