By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Welburn

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Welburn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workbench top
26/01/2022 12:44:34

I’m sorting out my workbench in the garage. It’s got a mini mill and mini lathe on it. I’m going to bolt them down and run cables power etc.

I’m planning to use a 3m length of worktop. Any advice on colour would be appreciated. Obvs A is doesn’t really matter, B black will show less mess.

But am I missing a trick on a lighter background. May as well get it right…

Thread: My Minnie
25/01/2022 20:24:34

All in so far I’m in for £370 which is a chunk of change. But I think the gears, book, plans and wheels have intrinsic value. I’ve got a few bits to do before work begins. A bigger work bench with an area for bits on it. And I need to finish my s50 and Cringle boiler.
It feels a bit like a step up to the big league with this but I’m on for the challenge!

25/01/2022 20:22:00

25/01/2022 20:20:05

25/01/2022 20:09:40

So after a Stuart 10v, and most of an s50 my attention had turned to building a Minnie. Not just a model, but an actual steam engine (albeit a small one)

So after some sage advice in another thread that it is within my capabilities I was looking around and found one part complete local to me at Cinderbarrow.

A chat with the seller and I found out it was a stalled project from the 70’s. Based on a black gates boiler and a set of pre machined gears. It came with a set of full drawings, the book carefully marked to show progress and the engine itself.
The boiler can be certified and to my eye the work so far seems really nice. It’s a significant step up from a Stuart in terms of fineness of details.

Thread: Building a Minnie
24/01/2022 15:10:15

Well it’s mine, should be picking up tomorrow hopefully. Apologies to BR, alls fair in love and auctions.

As I understand it, I have a black gates boiler and the rest of it in various states of completion. The chap who was building it is well respected at Cinderbarrow for his skills.

Hope he made bits of this once he’d achieved them! It was abandoned due to a change of interests.

I’ll continue this thread once it’s hit my bench.

Thread: Fabricating a Weber Carburettor Manifold Flange
20/01/2022 13:36:56

I’m about ready to fire up. But they bottom hose is leaking and that entails pulling a lot of stuff back out again… belts off, fans off, manifolds off and charger back out. It’s a full days work..

20/01/2022 13:28:28

20/01/2022 12:03:52

Hmm. Don’t underestimate the project. I started off making a manifold then got Maniflow in Salisbury to do it. It’s tight in there….

That aside. I used 10mm plate and cut it with a hole saw in a dewalt battery drill I have more better tools now! The sectioned steel tube bought from EBay.

MInes a 69mini with a Shorrock Btw

Thread: Building a Minnie
09/01/2022 14:38:33
Posted by br on 09/01/2022 12:17:27:
Posted by Dave Halford on 09/01/2022 11:42:29:

Errm anyone? **LINK** be quick

I think pass on that one ?

Surely that’s just scrap?

08/01/2022 20:39:37
Posted by br on 08/01/2022 19:45:49:
Posted by Dave Halford on 08/01/2022 19:21:25:
Posted by Nick Welburn on 08/01/2022 12:01:05:

There is a part completed one, its very local to me - a good start point? or a load of potentially challenging mis made bits? Looks like castings are 450, drawings 50, and a boiler kit 225 - so its potentially a good buy?

I'd be loathe to by a part restored car, do part built steam kits land in the same place?

Edited By JasonB on 08/01/2022 12:06:56

Based on that picture and words.

If the 'boiler' is just a tube propped up on something and assuming the flywheel doesn't wobble and the wheels are OK then it might be fine.

If there's a boiler under there, the presence of the kit tells you the boiler is likely bad. They have a nasty habit of bending, not being square, just not made properly or getting dropped.

Hey chaps. now you have got me worried, as I have a bid in on that .

bill

Hey Bill, you seen it in person? You local? It’s about 10miles from me. So I can go get some snaps if it helps.

08/01/2022 12:01:05
Posted by JasonB on 08/01/2022 11:57:27:

I built my Minnie after doing a 10V and the Beam so it sounds like you are thinking of a similar progression which worked for me.

With the vast amount of parts in a traction engine you can pick and choose what to make so don't have to start with something complex like the boiler, many choose the front end first as the front wheels are a good way to learn wheel building before doing the more complex rears and the hubs, axle, perch etc are all fairly straight forward.

I don't think there is too much cost difference between making some Stuart engines and a Minnie, if you think the Minnie build will be spread over a few years then it's not far off buying a couple of stationary engine casting kits each year and your tooling would grow either way as you come to parts that need a particular tool or cuter.

I opted to buy my gears and boiler at the time but that was when a completed boiler cost me £190!

There is a part completed one, its very local to me - a good start point? or a load of potentially challenging mis made bits? Looks like castings are 450, drawings 50, and a boiler kit 225 - so its potentially a good buy?

I'd be loathe to by a part restored car, do part built steam kits land in the same place?

Edited By JasonB on 08/01/2022 12:06:56

08/01/2022 10:56:11
Posted by noel shelley on 08/01/2022 10:37:54:

Hi Nick, There will be a dramatic increase cost and the skills needed ! You will have to make a boiler, so all the gear to silver solder, though you could buy in the gears and also the boiler but then your into serious costs ! You don't say what your skills and equipment levels are ? If you take it slowly and may be join a ME club then you will find people who can help and guide you. Good luck Noel.

Cheers Noel,

I have an Amadeal cj18 mini lathe, a sieg sx2p mill, hv4 rotary table and the usual other bits.

I silver soldered the crank for the 10v - it seemed fairly straight forward. I'll do the cringle boiler in the next few weeks.

I've only had the metal munching kit for a year or so, but I have rebuilt a couple of cars and can weld to MOT standard.

08/01/2022 09:59:55

I've built a stuart 10v, and I've got an S50 on the bench thats coming together much better.

I have also a part completed Cringle boiler.

Once I've made these would I be broadly in the position to try a Minnie? Obviously its a step up in cost for castings and complexity, and it seems it might entail some gear cutting.

Are my ambitions outstripping my ambilities or is this an achievable goal after my experience so far?

Thread: Putting a Chuck on the rotary table.
07/01/2022 15:26:40

Ok. I’m a bit stumped. I have a rotary table, it’s an hv4 I think with an mt2 taper and three slots.

I want to fit my three jaw 100miles Chuck from my Amadeal cj18. It has only mounting points on the back. So do I bolt the Chuck to a mounting plate and rely on the taper to hold it?

Or do I buy a Chuck with front mounting bolts? Or a smaller 75mm Chuck?

This apparently simple question has me stumped!

Thread: Milling machine
02/01/2022 21:17:34

I’m not familiar with that kit, what I would say is as a beginner with a Chinese lathe I attempted milling via a vertical slide. Perhaps a more skilled operator would have achieved more. I broadly wasted £100 in parts for milling on a lathe. I now own a milling machine (also Chinese) it’s a fine compliment to the lathe.

your mileage may vary.

Thread: 5/16 x 26 tpi brass bolt
27/12/2021 20:56:34

Think I have that die, what is it you need? Might take me a little time to produce I’m not sure I’ve got any brass stock in.

Thread: Tap Extractor
14/09/2021 21:15:56

I did this recently. Managed to drift it round using a scriber and a little toffee hammer. Just little glancing blows so it starts to spin.

Thread: Tightening a Threaded Bolt
01/09/2021 21:36:49

I’ve had a couple of these that are less than great. Not sure why they get chewed up. On my last project I just fitted new castings. Not sure if some of the aftermarket callipers are a touch off and make it easy to chew up?

Thread: Mounting stuff to a Faceplate
30/08/2021 20:47:15

That’s an awesome thread and a whole new forum to consume

cheers I can make a set of those clamps. Is it the done thing to drill and tap the face plate or do big boys manage with the existing holes?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest