By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Welburn

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Welburn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tap Extractor
14/09/2021 21:15:56

I did this recently. Managed to drift it round using a scriber and a little toffee hammer. Just little glancing blows so it starts to spin.

Thread: Tightening a Threaded Bolt
01/09/2021 21:36:49

I’ve had a couple of these that are less than great. Not sure why they get chewed up. On my last project I just fitted new castings. Not sure if some of the aftermarket callipers are a touch off and make it easy to chew up?

Thread: Mounting stuff to a Faceplate
30/08/2021 20:47:15

That’s an awesome thread and a whole new forum to consume

cheers I can make a set of those clamps. Is it the done thing to drill and tap the face plate or do big boys manage with the existing holes?

30/08/2021 20:28:36

Ok it seems my language is incorrect

I have a face plate. This is currently mounted on the backplate.

How do I safely mount stuff to a face plate?

30/08/2021 20:01:28

So I’ve finished my 10v, I’m now building a cringle model engineering boiler. To do this I need to turn down a large ally casting. It’s too big and irregular for my 4 jaw.
so it needs to go on my back plate.
Ive never used my backplate. Do I just use t nuts and my wedge things with the little serrated triangles? This looks like a dangerous option for launching metal at speed.

How do I safely attach to a back plate?

Thread: Broken tap extraction
18/07/2021 21:16:18

Jim Smith B had the clue to the answer. Held it in a vice and drifted it round, not easy with a 7ba tap. Not much to hit. Got a coupla turns on then got it with the fine nose. Have ordered a new set of 7ba taps to replace the chocolate ones I’ve been using

18/07/2021 18:26:39

Dropped this and snapped the tap.... any bright ideas. Not enough for molegrips

Thread: Mechanical Calculators
18/07/2021 16:13:44

If your going to chuck them I’d list them and just let them run. You might not make much but they’ll go to a home that wants them.

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
13/07/2021 14:26:46

Apologies if I’ve offended any here, just enjoying the debate.

12/07/2021 18:07:03
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 12/07/2021 15:16:30:

Posted by brian jones 11 on 12/07/2021 14:44:08:

An engineer has to be able to think through all the data around a problem so I asked them to guess what the mass of the air was in the room, then they were given density 0.1 lbs/ft3 (approx for round figures vs .08). The room was 10'x20'x10' to be estimated by students eye ie 2000ft3 so mass should be calculated as ca 200lbs

Many were thrown by being asked to think on their feet and clammed up, Many were annoyed at being challenged. ...

I'm not surprised - it's a poor question, unlikely to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Say I'm interviewing you for a recruiting job and ask what's wrong with that sort of question. Do you have a good answer?

devil

Dave

I like it as a question, the answer is immaterial what’s golden is seeing the thought process. That’s why it’s deliberately obtuse.

10/07/2021 21:43:42

Interesting discussion, I think the crux is probably the definition of engineering. For me I’d say that’s the use of abstract science in a creative manner to solve a problem.
I think this will always be an area of value.
So onto fabrication, machine operating. That can be engineering, but it could also be the work of a technician. The crux being does the operator add value or follow rote?

My lad will be an engineer, he’s 8. His hero is Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

The nature of his engineering in the physical / technology / philosophical domain I couldn’t answer you. My father was an aircraft engineer, I’m trained in electronics but work in software. As for my lad maybe it’ll be effective use of AI?
Time will tell but the engineers will still engineer.

Thread: First model for a complete beginner
09/07/2021 09:55:28

I went straight in for a Stuart 10v, lots of guidance online and spare castings are easily available.
it’s a good head stretcher and lots of fun to make. I suspect you can get one together with many mistakes it’s seems pretty forgiving in that respect. Or you can make it precisely to spec.

Thread: Milling on a Lathe with a Vertical Slide
04/07/2021 21:09:03

I tried this, despite the sage advice of Jason B. I managed to make some poor cuts and break a couple of end mills. I now own a mill despite making all the protestations about space. It does everything better than attempting it on the lathe. I am however a rank amateur so a more experienced operator may be more successful.

Thread: Thinking about where I need to improve - measurements
20/06/2021 20:06:12

Awesome, I suspected some one would have some immediately actionable changes I could make! I’ll work on setting out from one corner to minimise backlash

20/06/2021 17:25:45

I’ve been thinking about the engine I’m making. It’s very much of the nominal dimensions make the things fit inside the other things.
That’s ok for a first attempt. But I’d like to be better than that. I’ve recently got a wiggler for the mill and used it to drill a number of holes in the wrong place.
I think the reality here is that I’m not allowing well for the end float in the table. I could strip it and remove some I suspect. (I’ve done this on the mini lathe with some brass washers)

or as I read endfloat / backlash is not a problem I could learn to work round it. I’m not thinking about adding in DRO’s to measure actual moves as opposed to ‘screw’ moves.

I strongly suspect that the old hands on here could use my machines to a much finer tolerance.
Can anyone pass me some guidance?

I have a vernier and a micrometer and I understand how to use them. (I think!)

Any wisdom welcomely recieved!

Thread: Stuart 10v valve rod
09/06/2021 21:04:42

Ok - progress has been made. Kinda! I’ve used the other tool post and really carefully set the tool height. I was probably 0.25mm or so down.
I then chucked up about 8cm of 6mm aluminium and drilled the set tight on the live centre it came very close to working. The final cut for the reduction from 2.5mm to 2.4mm dug it and bent the piece.

Hunting about I found a steel bolt. The same process reduced to 3.30mm along the length and down to 2.5mm at the end then on the last pass dug in and bent.

I reckon with a bit of luck, oil and finesse I might get this.

Thanks as ever for all the suggestions. I’m very much a newby but I am going to make this engine. Possible called the Jason B! In respect to Jason’s constant answers to my daft questions

09/06/2021 10:07:42

Lots to go at here. I think my tool is a touch below centre. It’s shimmed up with bits of .8mm mild steel. This may need addressing. I’ll dial it in with the quick change tool post. Jason’s point that it only needs machining at one end is very valid. But I’ve clearly made something else on the engine with that material... I think it’s the piston rod.

im going to try and get a good cut on the remaining part with the tool better centred. Clearly what leaves a tiny pip is enough to give a vertical force and bend the rod.

learning more with every mistake

08/06/2021 22:09:31
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 08/06/2021 21:53:15:

Is the diameter constant for the component's full length? If so, you will be better off buying free-cutting stainless-steel of the right diameter already - 1/8". (You may be able to use 3mm or 4mm with small adjustments to the mating components.)

It’s mostly constant, the tip is taken down to 3/32 but only for maybe 1/2” that would be easier to manufacture as it wouldn’t need much stick out from the Chuck

08/06/2021 21:00:25

Apologies it must be 1/4 about 6mm or so.

08/06/2021 20:50:08

I’m struggling with this it’s reducing a length of 1/8 rod down to 3.3mm. It’s a length of about 2” or so.
I’ve had two issues, the cross slide being drawn in and making the piece narrower. I’ve sorted this today by shimming the cross slide to remove 0.3mm of slack.
I’m struggling with the piece bending away under the cut. I’ve tried with a travelling steady but it’s still deflecting and popping up onto the cutter.
I'm also getting a very chewy cut. I think this is probably chatter.
I have a choice of tool posts so I could put the cutter between the steady and the Chuck, or in front of the steady.

Thoughts welcome!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest