By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Ellis 5

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Ellis 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A Couple of Questions about Pipe?
19/09/2021 22:34:58

I was intrigued to discover that, in otherwise all metric Croatia, when I wanted pipe to make up pipe clamps, I had no difficulty, as it was all clearly marked 1/2 ¨ 3/4¨, etc. None of it was metric.

Cheers

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
19/09/2021 21:52:43

I would go with the Femi, too. I love mine. The issue with most bandsaws re cutting small pieces is easily resolved with a sub vice mounted on a strip bent at one end to equal the height of the vice.

Thread: GigaFactory
28/07/2021 11:32:06

A friend of mine, another model engineer, Barry Harrison, is the expert on brownouts. He did the reports on it for, IIRC, Sydney, Singapore and other cities, on brownouts that they were experiencing. They had experienced overloads in the winter, when heating requirements increased demand, but were now getting them in the summer months. In the winter, there was some offset in the cooler ground keeping underground transmission cabling cooler, but this wasn´t happening in the summer, when increased A/C usage was driving higher demand.

All this was before mass electric car recharging was even thought of.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Tapers
25/07/2021 18:23:10

Yes but I might find it difficult to insert a 3MT into a Hobbymat tailstock !

In any case, I have no intention of using it to its maximum 16mm capacity, for obvious reasons, but I do sometimes need to use a 17/32" drill that is just outside the capacity of a 13mm chuck. Yes, I do have a set of 1MT reamers, should it be necessary.

The arbour that I have ordered is coming from Rotagrip. Perusing their website, I see Ian has still got quite a bit of Arrand tackle, for anyone wanting any.

Cheers

Peter

25/07/2021 14:20:52

One is on its way. I agree that it is a bit OTT, but I want it for the tailstock of my Hobbymat for a 16mm drill chuck. I have needed just a touch more than the 13mm capacity of my normal chuck occasionally and I have a spare keyless 16mm one that takes a JT6.

25/07/2021 13:14:46

Thank you. I found a supplier eventually for an MT1 JT6 and have ordered it. (I did find two others with absurd delivery charges of 15 quid, even though it was to a Brighton address and not here in Croatia. The one I got was 8 quid including delivery )

I wonder where the B series was necessary when the Jacobs ones have been around for years and are quite satisfactory.

25/07/2021 11:48:35

Probably a daft question, but what are the B Series tapers, please ?

I was looking for an MT1 JT6 drill chuck arbour, but kept getting offered the B series ones. I´m familiar with Jacobs JT ones and even B&S ones, but B16 meant nothing. Machinerys Handbook didn´t seem to mention them.

Cheers

Peter

24/07/2021 02:34:31

Interesting from a local perspective. I already have 3ph. The place was formerly a winery and used it for pumps.

There was another issue here. The network was originally based on 2kW per house, but has largely been upgraded to minimum 6kW, as the onset of A/C made it necessary. A/C units use 6kW. Larger properties might need more units. At one point, buying building land in some villages was pointless, as the electricity people wouldn´t guarantee a supply until the lines were upgraded.
With global warming, places like the UK will be using more A/C too, and the need to support this on top of supporting EV will be interesting.

Thread: Brake drums/discs
16/07/2021 14:11:46

Imaginative ! The wheel guard too ?

16/07/2021 14:07:51

No-one has mentioned gas for cars. My Hyundai Santa Fe runs on propane at circa 50p/litre. It is popular here, with no shortage of gas pumps. It might be a practical interim solution.

Thread: Brake drums/discs
16/07/2021 08:23:38

I was given some brake drums/discs this week by my garage. Any thoughts on them ? I´m thinking of cutting the rear smoke box ring for my P8 out of one of them.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Scrap aluminium for casting
09/07/2021 18:07:36
Posted by noel shelley on 08/07/2021 09:38:07:

Magnesium is lighter and stronger, but not cheaper ! If it ignites it will be an almost unstoppable fire as the metal oxidises and produce a white light and great heat. Noel.

Much what I suspected !

07/07/2021 22:37:46
Posted by Oldiron on 07/07/2021 22:24:59:
Posted by Peter Ellis 5 on 07/07/2021 20:34:36:

Why do I get a message saying my browser doesn´t support cut and paste ? Of course it supports cut and paste. I use it every day.

Cheers

Peter

Peter you need to use Ctr C & Ctr V in this forum. )

regards

edit spacing

Edited By Oldiron on 07/07/2021 22:25:41

HaHa ! I remember we used to have to do that years ago. I´m so used to right clicking that I had forgotten that it used to have to be done that way. Just realised that there is something funny with auto correct, too.

Cheers

Peter

07/07/2021 22:34:41
Posted by norman valentine on 07/07/2021 21:32:55:

If you put vinegar on magnesium it will fizz! In fifteen years of melting scrap I have never had a magnesium fire.

I will check it ! Thank you. Incidentally, why would magnesium be used ? Is it cheaper ?

Cheers

Peter

07/07/2021 20:34:36

Why do I get a message saying my browser doesn´t support cut and paste ? Of course it supports cut and paste. I use it every day.

I have been given a Hyundai gear box, primarily for the aluminium content. There is even some bronze. I´m thinking of casting some loco bits. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the aly used in these? I had asked about pistons, but they didn´t have any.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: Ebay Chancers
05/06/2021 10:48:03
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/06/2021 09:11:44:
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 05/06/2021 08:54:51:

[…]

I suppose you could always remove it from it's repair plate, trim the rough parts back and then use it as a two part milling vice for long parts lengthways on your mill table.

Something along these lines question

p1200982_s.jpg

MichaelG.

I have a pair of two castings with the dovetails already machined awaiting completion, which will probably never happen, as they are too big for my current mill. I even have a pair of acme screws out of a chuck, to suit.

Cheers

Peter

Thread: BSW Fasteners
24/05/2021 04:54:14
Posted by Steviegtr on 23/05/2021 22:10:41:

Just looked on google earth as i have never heard of Istria. Yes you are a long way from us in the UK.

Steve.

It is a nice part of the world and Trieste is only an hour away, although with COVID, I haven´t seen there in a year. It is relatively isolated from the rest of Croatia (and our COVID results are much better. No new cases at all yesterday) Other than the shipyards down in Pula (the former Austro-Hungarian Portsmouth - its military port), there is no engineering industry. They used to make big lathes over in Labin, at the Prvomaskja factory, but that has gone.

The lack of engineering limits local supplies. I can get metric fasteners in the local ironmongers, although nothing below M4 and there is a decent bearing factor locally. Metals (steel, SS and aly) come from the local builders merchant, but are of unknown specs and are aimed at tourist industry infrastructure. Someone down in Pula must do special steels but I have never found them. The local timber merchant has CNC cutting facilities and I can just give them a cutting list and they cut everything to size, which simplifies things.The local Lidl is handy, but you need to grab stuff when they have it.

Food and wine are excellent and cheap. The countryside is glorious, all vineyards and olive groves. I live in an old stone winery and for the first time, have room for decent metalworking and woodworking workshops. OTOH, there are no model engineers here. The internet makes things easier.

23/05/2021 21:21:49

I don´t know. I just put in the search box and that is what it came up with. It didn´t mention cheaper ones. I don´t mind them longer, if that is all they have got, as obviously I can shorten them.

Cheers

23/05/2021 18:57:46

£4.01 per bolt and £17 to post them ! Some real spivs around these days !

23/05/2021 18:55:02

I live in Istria. I will check Kayfast. Thank you.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
BOLDON
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest