By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Hurley

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Hurley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: new member from Sheffield
11/05/2021 09:38:28

Welcome Dominic. Loads of useful hints, tips & info here, plus quite a few thought provoking discussions and chuckles. enjoy!

bit more info on what sort of modelling projects you have on the shelf would be interesting.

All the best Mike

Thread: Brass/bronze filler
06/05/2021 09:18:11

When I've tried fine bass filings in epoxy in the past, they just seem to turn black. Suppose it's the acid / or alkeline reaction. Just never had much success I'm afraid. Sorry - not much help I know

Thread: Boring out a hole in middle of aluminium disc
30/04/2021 10:10:01

Depends on what tooling you have - i.e. a boring head for the mill? If so, by far the easiest way as you can clamp it to the table (standing off for clearence) however you can - the advantage you don't have to consider balance as you would if mounting it on a lathe faceplate. . If not, you'll need to mount it on the lathe faceplate (standing off for clearence) and use a boring bar, but consider the balance as your clamping fittings might cause a lot of machine vibration if too unevenly spaced / different weights etc - and if using high RPM

regards

Edited By Mike Hurley on 30/04/2021 10:12:58

Thread: A bit of a puzzle on eBay
29/04/2021 18:55:40

Partially agree with Steve re just missing the boiler etc which obviously would have been a larger seperate unit - so perhaps it was just split up some time back?

I have looked closely at the photos and feel that it is well built and original - look at the close up photo of the cross head assembly and note the oil channels underneath - a nice quality touch. The description on the site seems pretty comprehensive and it is quite an unusual engine in the complexity for a large model of this type.

The price seems a little high, but saying that its a bit of a one-off, and as such will attract a premium.

I for one would gladly give it house room if I had the chance. Regards

Thread: Does anyone know what this is for?
26/04/2021 09:25:10

Cannot judge the overall size of this in comparing the surroundings, but assume its not huge?

Not obvious from the picture but is there a flat 'blade', or fitting where a blade could be attached, near to the rollers? If so, my guess would have been a leather splitter / skiving machine.

regards

Thread: Turning a part ball between shoulders
25/04/2021 11:40:46

The form tool worked a treat! Initially tried untreated gauge plate but even with ordinary brass it soon took the edge off surprisingly. So hardened & tempered best as I could and that was fine afterwards. Step-cut much out with a parting tool and the form tool finished it well. (Note the shape is deliberately not a perfect shere). Again, thanks for the help.

img_1025.jpg

Edited By Mike Hurley on 25/04/2021 11:41:25

Edited By Mike Hurley on 25/04/2021 11:42:06

Thread: Arris rail support brackets for concrete fence posts
25/04/2021 09:20:55

Check out POSTFIX on Amazon. Quite a big range.

regards

Thread: Turning a part ball between shoulders
21/04/2021 09:06:21

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I had initially considered using a form tool of some kind but then thought the chatter could be excessive due to the 'length' of the cutting edge. As several of you seem to give it a thumbs up anyway, I'll give it a test, keeping in mind some of the comments on technique, and see how it goes.

I'll also try Roy's idea of using a graver by hand on a test piece just out of interest.

For the type of job this is, I don't think it will be worth my time fabricating a proper ball turning jig.

This forum never seems to fail in providing the answers (and plenty of entertainment and thought-provoking comment along the way!)

Thanks again to all. Regards Mike

20/04/2021 18:06:00

I'm having a bit of a thick moment as I can't seem to work out how to do the following and could do with prompting!

I need to turn a partial ball shape between two shoulders.in a piece of brass bar. (A in the diagram) My first thoiught it to improvise a ball turning attachment such as described numerous times in postings in these forums or available commercially. When I looked into the practicality of this there seems to be an issue that they seem fine for turning virtually a complete ball, but in my task, it would seem that the tool would catch the shoulder part way through the arc.(B in the diagram) on bothe sides.

I just don't want to spend ages fabricating a jig that doesn't do the job. Anyone have any ideas please? Ropey sketch attached.

img_1022.jpg

Even if I was to grind one side of the tool, I would need both a LH and RH version which would involve problems setting up to achieve a consistent curve, These are decorative only so no great accuracy needed but still need to look right. The original items were probably cast brass. I only need to do 2 of these so I don't want to overdo the time & technology here!

Any ideas appreciated. Regards Mike

Thread: Thompstone Engine
20/04/2021 09:55:01
Posted by Paul Horth on 14/04/2021 16:53:08:

Hello Jason,

I have a few questions about this model design by Thompstone, and the full size engine which it might have been based on. Do you have an idea of the scale that Thompstone intended? It looks like quite a small engine, maybe a bore of 1 foot, or smaller than that, having a screwed gland?

I can't make out where the exhaust connection is. I would be interested in your opinion of some of the features which Thompstone has included.

• Would the full size engine cylinder have been mounted on the two feet (difficult to access) or on saddles or flanges as in the Stuart engine?
  • Would the full size cylinder have had those decorative rings cast in?
  • Is the cylinder oil cup a practical proposition in full size?
  • Is there a reason why the full size engine would have had the bearing caps mounted at an angle?

Please understand that these comments are not meant as criticisms, I am just curious about the full size design features which I know little about.

Paul

Hi Paul, if you have a look at my thread in ' ongoing projects ' titled 3 x 5 twin Victorian workshop steam engine restoration you will see that many of the design ideas used in this model were de facto in early full-size engines. i.e. the cylinder cast rings and angled main bearing blocks. My research has also determined that the cylinder oil cup (with valve) was similarly typical for a short period in early engines. Coincidently these are exactly what I am in the process of making right now (and giving me some headaches)! Will update the thread when I have chance. The 1800s were a time of rapid change and innovation and sometimes ideas were only going for a few years before being superceeded by the next clever idea - so things like manual oilers were soon replaced by all manner gizmos pumped pressure oilers, displacement oilers etc etc. If you look into the subject, you will be astounded by the sheer variety and invetiveness of that age.

Thread: New bench drill
16/04/2021 11:45:26

Up to 3" ms but what diameters? If your'e thinking anything much more than 8 - 10mm dia think it might struggle, and 60mm spindle travle is another key consideration. Emgee's comments re swarf are also very pertinant.

As is often said on this forum, you'll always wish later that you had bought the next model up to the one you purchased of any machine - as the extra rigidity /power will come in handy on a number of jobs you never forsaw coming up against!

regards

Thread: Threaded milling cutters
16/04/2021 09:27:37

I agree with JasonB, rather than mess about with these cutters, I would look to getting a good collet system ( I use ER25 with my VM14) then you will be a ble to economically purchase good new plain shaft cutters to suit your requirements at reasonable prices from loads of suppliers.

Tip - While you're at it, would suggest you get the 'optional' collet nut with a ball bearing insert, only a tiny bit bigger than standard but allow much tighter fitting of cutters.

Reagards. Mike

Thread: Any Ideas please?
13/04/2021 09:47:41

My initial thoughts are that it is a home-brew. Obviously someone has taken a lot of care in construction, but there are a few contradictions in its design. A single cylinder slide valve engine, if it was an atypical model of the type would normally have 1. A spoked flywheel 2. Plain bush main bearings.

If someone has made this without castings, I personally would have still manually 'spoked' the flywheel from solid to better suit this type of engine. The length of the main shaft seems excessive considering it's diameter also, I would suspect it could be prone to bending. It's definately a bit of an odd ball, thats been built by someone with very good abilities.

As a bit of a stationary steam egine buff myself, Will be most interested if anyone else comes up with more suggestions / info

Regards Mike

Thread: Traction Talk forum
11/04/2021 09:39:40

Same problem here. Signed up ages ago, but could never access anything. Kept trying for several weeks without success, thought I was doing something wrong but was bu*****d if I could see what. Just gave up in the end.

regards

Thread: Replacing a Canon printer with a Brother Laser?
05/04/2021 08:57:08

I used to support 100s of various Brother printers where I worked, and generally they were OK, didn't give too much trouble and consumables reasonable £.

As a consequence, when I retired, bought a modesly priced one (cobined scanner, printer etc) for home use, and it's been pants.Assume they're built to a low price for home users hoping to get the £ back with the 'proper' branded consumables.

Regrads

Thread: Greenwood Tools
03/04/2021 11:28:51

I bought all my original tooling from them when I 1st got a lathe about 15yrs ago, they were quite pricey at the time but little alternatives. However they proved excellent quality and long life. I got replacement inserts etc at one or 2 MEX's over the years. Theirs was the first tipped parting tool I had come across (Q-Cut) and boy, what a joy to use that was. I know other companies now market similar units.

I suppose the market is just so crowded now its difficult to compete. Unfortunately with the very variable range of qualities on the market its not easy to get be sure what will suit both your pocket and tasks - Greenwood's stuff just suited me down to the ground. But such is life.

Thread: WHAT IS IT ?
02/04/2021 11:21:22
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 24/03/2021 10:53:22:

Anyone have someone studying mathematics at university or works at NASA ??

Yes, my great-niece is studying mathematics at Oxford (obvious doesn't get her brain genes from my side of the family!) and I sent her a copy of the picture and some suggestions from the thread. Even though she's not into 'engineering' I thought a more logical, un-biased clinical examination may bear fruit. She apparently even passed it onto a ' group ' at Oxford who do very hard sumswink. Even they couldn't make head or tail of it - sorry.

Regards to all.

Thread: Can Loctite 638 really be this good?
31/03/2021 08:46:19

To the uninitiated The term silver solder probably suggests a relatively weak join as per ' soft ' solder, which may be off putting. If the term brazing was used, might give more confidence and as we all know can provide a remarkably strong joint.

However, I do agree with previous contributors that due to the relatively small surface area and corrosion if professional welding is not an option the epoxy route might be the one to consider.

Regards

Thread: New car - or is it a wheeled computer?
26/03/2021 10:43:55
Posted by Brian B on 26/03/2021 10:26:04:

What has this topic to do with model engineering!

Brian Bristoll.

Nothing really, but like other similar threads if it is under the 'Tea Room' topic category then it is, by definition just general chat about pretty well anything. At the moment, being quite serious, with lockdown and people not able to go to ME clubs or the pub etc it's sometimes the only way to get things off your chest, and I for one find it entertaining and informative. Hopefully if and when things get back to normal, we'll be able to find alternative avenues for our rants and grumbles!

regards

26/03/2021 10:33:15
Posted by john halfpenny on 26/03/2021 10:08:09:

I've got news for you Mike Hurley. Haynes manuals are no longer published. Me, I'm sticking with my Land Rover D3 and Reliant Scimitar

John - Haynes publishing still seem to be around and you can still get manuals for most cars via their website. I suppose they don't publish manuals on the newer breeds of vehicle for reasons already mentioned.

They also did a range of humourus volumes in the same vein as their vehicle books - I was given one titled something like 'a guide to pensioners' when I retired from work, provided a lot of laughs. A couple of years on I now realise how pertinant a lot of the faults and worn out parts descriptions were true!

ps Always lusted after a Scimitar, never got my hands on one though sadly.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Warco
emcomachinetools
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest