By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Hurley

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Hurley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Exercise for old folks
22/11/2020 09:48:14

pgk - sorry about the loss of the hound, always a grim time. I agree with DaveD though, and a older resue would be a definate worth consideration. They tend to be more difficult to place with new owners and people can get put off thinking they may have medical proplems (as many of us older people do) however many reputable re-homing organistaions can offer assistance i.e. insurance cover at reduced terms etc.Retired greyhounds suprisingly enogh are ideal for older owners and don't need vast amounts of exercise.

Dog working is good physical exercise and with the bonus of getting you out and about in the fresh air (and pelting rain often!) which is good for your mind and general well-being. I always found an exercise bike just bored me after a while and the motivation drained away. Whatever you end up doing - enjoy & take care. Regards Mike

Thread: Steam pipe connection?
20/11/2020 08:36:04

Thanks guys. After looking back at it yesterday following all the various comments and suggestions, I realised (proving how observent I'm not) that the threaded holes are through into the steam chest, not blind as I had in the back of my mind. This seems to confirm that there must of been something fitted in them or steam woud be blowing all over the place, so a flange & bolts the most likely. A definate conclusion about the threaded BSP hole still remains unclear.

Cannot see any indication of spot-facing around the thread holes.

As I said in an earlier post I seem to be getting a feeling that a straightforward flange bolted on directly (to a cleaned up casting) with a suitable gasket is going to be the way to go. There are so many 'maybes' that after a time you start going round in circles and almost forget why you asked a question in the first place. However the comments from all in the thread have been interesting and I've picked up some useful ideas and tips, so thanks to all. This forum is a really valuable resource. Regards Mike

18/11/2020 09:24:32

Again, thanks for all the input. Geoff - its not 100% clear from the photo (best I could do) but the 'taper' on the hole doesn't appear to have been machined, Its a bit rough and eccentric so I think it was as cast. With some of these things though its difficult to be sure as parts were heavily corroded externally - not sufficient to weaken the castings structurally more cosmetically.

I have great respect for engineers of the era - just look at the work they did with some of those huge pumping beam engines we all like to stare at! but there was also a make-do-and-mend side to it at times, so we have to accept thats the way it was! Its quite feasible an engine like this was produced a 'utilitarian' and you could order it with variants, and this one was built with a screw pipe union to suit whatever steam supply fitting was already available.

I seem to be getting a feeling that a straightforward flange bolted on directly with a suitable gasket is going to be the way to go. I shall simply note in the restoration 'log book' the reasoning behind this. I just look forward to manoevering these lumps under the head of my modestly sized Warco mill and TC cutter to lightly skim the boss faces! Keeps me busy during lockdown anyway!

Regards to all. Mike

Thread: Aluminium surface finish
17/11/2020 09:26:08

If a turned piece, the a fine 'Scotchbright' type material used while inthe lathe polishes a treat. Otherwise the same with elbow grease if flat /irregular. Agree about oxidation though, so clear lacquer may be your only option to retain the finish in the long term.

Thread: Steam pipe connection?
17/11/2020 09:18:34

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave - I'll definately try the a trawl throgh the site you suggested.

I'm trying to keep things as historically true as practicality allows, so wanted to check there wasn't some common layout used that I just wasn't familiar with. It does seem a bit of an enigma in that the boss was never machined flat on either cylinder - but was on the exhaust ports (you can see the shaper cuts): they have a plain hole but a boss with 2 thread holes exactly the same as the subject of this thread. If it was to only be a screwed connection why then not have a circular boss as Nigel suggests,? If it was a case of using a standard cylinder casting they used elsewhere that happened to have a flange-shaped boss, then why tap the holes if not used? I don't see manufacturers of the time doing any process that was unecessary. (Imagine the gruff bowler-hatted foreman with a big red face finding out that they had spent another halfpenny in labour!)

I shall ponder further and take all your helpful comments on board. Regards to all

16/11/2020 12:10:46

Hi, Im pretty new to the forum, so apologies if this has been covered before - however I have searched at length both here and on the rest of the internet with no clear answer. I'm restoring a 19th century workshop steam engine and its going well so far (I'll put up a 'ongoing project..' and album when I have time).
Can anyone assist in identifying the type of steam pipe connection that would fit the input, looking at the attached photo the flange mounting threads are about 2" apart and the port tapped 1/2" x 14 BSP. I ASSUME there would be a union screwed into the port, then possibly some kind of matching conical pipe end clamped by a 'free' flange of some description?
Most pictures of engines of the same era just show the flange bolted directly to the steam chest, without enough detail to determine how the 'internal' bits are made/put together.
I have nothing to go on, and have been unable (so far) to find a book, web page or drawings etc that might give a clue to what would be typical in this era.
Would these be brass or iron? Would copper pipe be the norm? etc. Just if someone could point me at a practical book that covered such topics that would be great!
Any help much appreciated. regards Mike

img_0968_s.jpg

Thread: Which edge finder?
07/11/2020 12:11:29

Not having a DRO I find the split cylinder type easy & reliable on relatively good, flat surfaces. The fag paper in conjunction with a piece of 10mm SS in a good ER collet satisfieas every other situation. Both methods time-proven and cheap! M

Thread: Calliper - Dial reading
03/11/2020 09:05:40

Flat battery & no replacement to hand? pop the battery out and warm it up gently (i.e. not with a blowtorch !) 5 mins on a hot radiator will usually get it going for a short session and get you out of a fix. Worked for me numerous times in an 'emergency'.

Thread: New member from the Black Country.
03/11/2020 08:44:26

Thanks for the warm welcomes! As the dreaded lockdown looms again, I'll perhaps have time to put some info and piccies about the restoration in the 'ongoing projects' section. M

Thread: Rubber mat.
01/11/2020 11:09:45

Yes, we all start to feel the cold as we get older... I tend to find that any kind of mat / carpet can sometimes be a bit of a nuisance by moving slightly or creasing up and me tripping on the bits that subsequently stick up.

I made up a couple of lengths of wooden 'duck boards' - simply long strips about 30mm wide nailed onto occasional cross pieces, with about a 25 mm gap between each. They keep your feet off the cold concrete, let metal turnings drop through easily and are easily lifted to find that vital last screw you just dropped (or simply to clean).

Just my personal preference, but obviously whatever suits the individual. is fine. Mike

Thread: New member from the Black Country.
01/11/2020 10:18:37

I'm Mike and I hail from the heart of the once mighty industrial region known as 'The Black Country' (Central West Midlands). Worked in technology most of my life, but in latter years assembled a modest workshop (known to the wife as my 'TARDIS' as there's always a nut, washer, bit of wire, complex electrical component etc to fix pretty well everything that breaks in the house).
Have built a small number of steam/hot air engine models over the years (including a TESLA turbine - with indifferent results I might say). Have taken MEW for quite some time and enjoyed the articles & tips, and have made several tools or machine mods from same.
Since retiring a couple of years back I decided to take on a 'big' project so as to not get bored with all this "extra time" on my hands (though ask any retiree
what a joke that statement turns out to be!) still, I took on the restoration of a full size Victorian workshop steam engine ( twin 3 x 5 ), which, choosing my words
politley, was in a bit of a state. Still, it's getting there slowly - very slowly! Regards to all, hope I will be able to make useful contributions to the forum in future.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest