By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Hurley

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Hurley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco WM14 spindle bearings
27/01/2022 10:58:57

Thanks for that John. There does appear to be a difference in the layout between your version and mine.

However - after much dedicated head scratching and varying methods of attack I have managed to get the spindle out! As is often the case - it's quite simple really. Once I did get the spindle out, I could better feel the degree of its movement in the quill housing, which was excessive. On further inspection I noticed that the pre-load locknut for the bearings was loose - not helpful (see 3rd pic - its the item with 2 cap head screws showing) To re-tighten this will require a special pin-spanner which is what I shall be making next, hoping this is all that needs to be done and the bearings are OK?

Purely for the benefit of any poor soul in the future searching for the answer - here's a brief summary of how it's done

Obtain an odd piece of metal that is a snug fit in the slot. Make sure the feed lever is engaged, quill NOT locked.

Feed down a short way until the sleeve just goes below the bottom of the slot. Insert the odd bit of steel just enough to stop the sleeve from springing back. Firmly move the feed lever UP against spring tension. Will only move the inner spindle 3 or 4 mm - but that is just enough clearance to begin to slide the clip out! DO NOT completely remove it at this point (see second pic)!

wm14_04.jpg

wm14_05.jpg

Get a small bundle of cloth or HD workman gloves and COVER the top of the shaft - because when you remove the odd bit of metal and the clip the internal strong spring and sleeve will depart at a great rate of knots and will result in eye injury or simply departing to one of the famous dark corners of the workshop never to be seen again. You have beem warned!

Once that done you will be able to manually slip the spindle out for further work as required.

wm14_06.jpg

From this point on there are numerous videos etc on the internet explaining next steps, and are pretty common to all the models as far as I can see.

Hope that's of assistance to someone. regards. Mike

26/01/2022 10:44:49

My WM14 has developed excessive sideways movement in the spindle. I can only assume its a bearing issue of some kind but I am really struggling to get it apart to examine things. I have searched for definitive answers on this forum and the wider internet. There are postings regarding it's bigger brothers i.e the WM16 and WM18, plus numerous references and pointers to youtube videos primarily regarding the similar American 'Grizzly' versions.

The problem is that none of these appear to be the same as mine! They all show much the same process - you go into the top of the spindle firmly press down the spring loaded section and slip out the retaining clip sideways - simple. Then proceed to remove the spindle.

To try & be brief, I have tried my utmost to do this, The retaining clip is quite clear and would move if I could move the housing it sits in out of the way but it will simply not budge (as it does appear to in all the videos)! There even seems to be a slot in the housing (see photo #2) which would tend to make you think the retaining clip could exit through.

There's also what appears to be a collar with a couple of holes (for a pin spanner I assume) at the other end, which doesn't get mentioned anywhere - don't know if relevant.

So has anyone actually done this before and can point me in the right direction please!

Top retaining clip (like a 'C' clip) in (recessed) situ

wm14_01.jpg

Side view of top - showing cutout

wm14_02.jpg

Bottom

wm14_03.jpg

I'm totally confused with this, expecially as the arrangement does not seem to closely match the parts diagram in the Warco manual (not a great surprise there anyway) . It was a new machine from them back around 2011 / 2012 so hasn't been modified.

Any guidance much appreciated! Mike

Thread: Wire wicks
20/01/2022 09:24:08

A sensible & practical answer Paul! Referencing several of my 'old steam' books, have not come across any mention of plain wire oilers - always tend to the copperwire with pure lambswool twisted in.

I'm sure if plain wire worked properly it would have been used widely. However, it does seem that it was used in several types of machine etc as mentioned in earlier posts - so there's a bit of an enigma!

Thread: Help need with Traction Talk
19/01/2022 09:34:55

put Traction Talk in the search box at the top & you will see a number of previous postings relating to issues with this site.

Personally, I tried and eventually gave up some time back.

regards Mike

Thread: That Strange Calculator Again
17/01/2022 12:23:04

Suddenly thought I could probably do screen grabs to illustrate all my earlier waffling!

calc01.jpgcalc02.jpgcalc03.jpg

17/01/2022 12:06:34

Relating to Dave's observation posted 15/1 - "The inner ring holes are all dimples, except the video shows one of them, No 30 under the spring clip in the photo, to be a through hole that sometimes aligns with another hole inside".

This thing continues to intrigue me as it does many of you. If you download the video clip and then stick it into an editor, you can both enlarge and step through it. I agree with Dave that one anomoly is the ' 30 ' detent position on the inner wheel which as he says is a through hole unlike all the other dimples. For the first few seconds of the video this hole seems to have a 'blank' under it, grey, same colour as the main body. As it approaches half way this suddenly changes to a distinct line across the middle ( it's in a different orientation to the line notepad underneath ) it seems quite clear and definate i.e. not a scratch. A bit longer on it suddenly goes black ( quite sharp - i.e. its not a shadow ), then returns to the ' line ' then to the grey ' blank '.

So my thoughts are that there are markings on the back plate that are positioned to show as described when there are specific conjunctions between the outer dial and inner one. Like for example the ' line ' is a prior warning indicator during rotations ( nearly there.... ) and the black indication = spot on! Just a wild guess though!

Unfortunately without knowing the logical behind the rotations the guy is doing it's impossible to relate these events to positions of the dials very easily in such a short time. However, I just thought my observations might be of interest.

regards Mike

Thread: drill sharpening jig or dedicated tool
10/01/2022 10:01:28
Posted by bernard towers on 09/01/2022 12:41:49:

I would imagine that if the drill bit was projecting the same amount in each jig you would be able to get 4 facets,

Hadn't thought of that! Thanks fot the suggestion, i'll give it a try & report back.

ROD: Thanks for the comments. I have seen both terms used for the same physical unit.

It's unlikely that these were used for anything other than drills (but not impossible I suppose) as I know he did a lot of small hole drilling - he'd built many fine models over the years and was half way through a model of the Agenoria when he passed away. There's an awful lot of rivet holes in that one !

Take care. All the best Mike

Thread: Lathe Tool grinding
09/01/2022 11:00:16
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 04/01/2022 13:41:24:

More generally, it would be worth buying Harold Hall's Tool and Cutter Sharpening. The author not explains tool-sharpening but gives a range of tool rest designs to enhance a straightforward off-hand grinder for sensibly accurate, repeatable results .

Yes an excellent book, my go-to all the time! One comment though, his basic adjustable tool rest design - I made one of these some time back and was generally pleased. One anomoly though seems to be the way the table is attached, being on a ball mount. This obviously makes it very versatile as you can move to any angle in any plane should you so wish. However, I find that the vast majority of times I want the table horizontally level with a specific vertical angle to the grinding wheel and I find it difficult with this arrangement - I get it horizontal then when trying to set the vertical angle it slips out of the horizontal and so on. I was considering changing the ball arrangement to a flat spacer that would allow the table to sit level across the grinding wheel face but still allow it to angle up/down.

Anyone done anything similar, or have thoughts on why this might be a bad idea?

regards Mike

Thread: drill sharpening jig or dedicated tool
09/01/2022 10:33:39

Re small drill sharpening - I inherited these two items from my late brother (he was a competent model engineer), and I assume they are for sharpening small drills. OK insert in V, set projection to give appropriate angle and rub on oilstone / diamond lap. Rotate 180 & repeat.

But that will only give you flat cutting edges with no relief surely? Is there a nack to doing this? I have seen articles on units such as the ' butterfly ' jig that allows you to tilt slightly to give the relief, but these do not seem to permit that easily.

Also, any obvious reason why 2 different heights?

( I meant to put a rule in the photo but forget. They are both around 20 - 25mm across )

I may be barking up the wrong tree totally, but if these are useful they would assist me greatly - so any input most gratefully received. Regards Mike

drill sharpening jigs.jpg

Edited By Mike Hurley on 09/01/2022 10:35:20

Thread: Webb Telescope
09/01/2022 10:05:14

Quite staggering! Thanks for the link to that short youtube video Michael.

regards Mike

Thread: Internet Speed ?
05/01/2022 09:39:33

I have always found it a very unresponsive website. I never understood why they haven't made efforts to get it sorted, bit annoying at times to the point where I have given up and ordered from elsewhere in the end.

I've got fast broadband that works well, so not an issue my end,

regards, Mike

Thread: Springbok completed
01/01/2022 09:32:25

excellent. A credit to your hard work.

regards Mike

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
31/12/2021 10:22:23

Many years back I had a left hand drive Triumph TR7. On odd occasions when it wasn't in the garage being fixed it was real fun to drive (compared to run of the mill cars of that era). Overtaking was a hoot - funnily enough always seemed to end up with a passenger looking ashen-faced for some odd reason.

All the best for the new year. Mike

Thread: Endless Repeats
28/12/2021 10:30:29

BBC not advertising? Regularly watch their flagship evening magazine program 'The one show', every time a 'guest' appears the wife and I look at each other and simultaneously say " Written a book " , which surprise, surprise they then spend 5 minutes spouting on about.

Thread: Hello fromlincoln
27/12/2021 10:36:25

Welcome Michael to the font of knowledge you will ever need! If you have a query, just get in the habit of using the 'search' facility (use the one half way down the 'Home' page, rather than the one at the top of the forum pages - seems to work a bit better ) and you will be amazed that pretty well anything you think of has been covered before!

If still not sure, don't be afraid to ask - there's no such thing as a stupid question, and members on this site are thoroughly helpful and patient.

I used to do a lot of woodturning years ago, and I must say metalworking lathes are a very different kettle of fish altogether. About the only applicable valuable lesson you will transfer from woodturning is the sense to keep your fingers out of the way!

I agree with Howard - get copies of the couple of lathework books he mentioned, they will be a goldmine for people like yourself

Take care, all the best Mike

Thread: New mini mill or use lathe as a mill.?
27/12/2021 10:22:06

Its really down to how you define 'light'. An occasional skim or shallow groove in easily machined material - not a problem in the lathe. If you're planning building things on a regular basis, you'll soon find the limitations irritating, Space and £ are other considerations.

Don't forget that Model engineers made numerous fine machines for many years with just a lathe.

regards. Mike

Thread: Endless Repeats
27/12/2021 10:14:46

If you spend much time watching some of the 'Freeview' channels (all us poor folk can afford) youu soon revert to appreciating the BBC as some channels are virtually unwatchable. We recently watched some repeats of 'Dr Foster' (the wifes choice, not mine I would add) on the Drama channel. It was scheduled to run from 9.00 to 10.20 pm. Originally we thought they were combining episodes to fill the slot but soon became apparent they weren't. As an exercise we put a stopwatch on the actual drama sections and discounted the adverts + coming attractions trailers.

49 Minutes! Over 1/2 hr of ****. Now I'm not naive, and realise programming has to be paid for one way or the other but this sort of percentage is a joke - and pointless, as you just mentally switch off (usually switching the sound off at the same time). Anything we specifically want to watch is recorded and adverts skipped during viewing - so what are the advertisers achieving?

OK the BBC licence tax is irritating as it is imposed on us, rather than a matter of choice - which if it was, I think I wold still pay it. The quality of their output is normally high (for example have just started watching 'Around the world in 80 days' which is IMHO is excellent so far) plus radio (listen a lot to R4 & R4extra in the workshop)

Have a happy New Year. Fingers crossed for a better one!

Thread: going carbide on a Myford
26/12/2021 10:34:38
Posted by bernard towers on 19/12/2021 19:10:11:

Try a little we 40 as a cutting lube it should stop cold welding on the tip.

Thanks Bernard - never crossed my mind but makes absolute sense. Will give it a whirl next time.

All the best, Mike

Thread: DRO's and mental agility
23/12/2021 10:07:03

Really interesting comments from you all. Thank You.

After examining the mind-numbing array of rubbish on TV over the festive season (the term rubbish does not apply the latest AArdman Shawn the Sheep film though), I think I will continue to sharpen my ever dulling brain by planning the XY conversion to the Mill in the New Year. You've convinced me!

All the best. Mike

Thread: Hello from Basingstoke
23/12/2021 10:00:57

Welcome Josh. You're in the right place here!

Have a good Christmas

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest