By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Hurley

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Hurley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hermes. A Company in Total Confusion!
13/10/2021 09:48:03

Just for a bit of balance, we have had things delivered several times recently (including yesterday) by Hermes without any problems at all - on time, kept informed and a really pleasant lady who delivers stuff.

Perhaps there are just some regional issues with lack of staff as is affecting everything else? I'm obviously sorry for people who have had major problems though.

Thread: mamod
11/10/2021 09:49:12

Just out of interest, I live a stones throw from one of what used to be their factory back in the 70's (its now a health club - closed). Employees used to be able to buy models that were ' for display only ' at a nominal cost - these had failed the rigorous quality control and just had a hole drilled through the boiler at the bottom, you couldn't see it so they did make a nice shelf mode l- I've still got one sitting in my workshop - the traction engine

Yes. the boiler is brass.

regards Mike

Thread: The American father and son building a Gothic folly in France
03/10/2021 09:55:55

Nice.

Hope I can be as skilled and productive when I get to 94!

Thread: Backlash on Warco GH1230 Carriage
02/10/2021 11:02:59

Agree with Dave W. My old BV-20 had awful play in the carriage handwheel even when new. Had a poke around and determined that the gear engagement was pretty minimal, so, as there were no dowels holding it in place - just cap screws - I dropped the whole rack about 2 - 3 mm. Made a big difference! Don't know if it was bad design or just not positioned correctly at the factory.

Never been perfect, but found I could live with it.

definately worth checking

regards Mike

Thread: Sizing a Burner
24/09/2021 09:29:41

Just to say it looks a really nice piece of work Matt

regards, Mike

Thread: Hardinge HLV H
22/09/2021 08:55:13

Have a look at lathes.co.uk website. This is a huge reference site that many of the members on this site go to with queries such as yours.

Hope thats useful. Regards

Thread: Screw cutting
20/09/2021 10:26:57

There was a lengthy discussion recently on the two methods ( angled compound and zero degrees via cross slide ) and opinion was divided. Personally I find simply feeding via the cross slide perfectly OK and much less prone to ' operator miscalculation ' , its so very easy to forget to adjust both slides correctly every time or as you may have done not zeroed the cross slide correctly due to backlash . Could be any number of common causes.

if one method works and you're happy with the result - stick to it.

Edited By Mike Hurley on 20/09/2021 10:27:54

Thread: Ideas on how to make up a G-Clamp Swivel Foot
18/09/2021 10:57:21

Same as Noel, did several a while back pretty much the same method. Don't forget, the peened over bit doesn't need to be excessive or a precise fit - as long as the foot is retained, that's all you need.

regards

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
17/09/2021 09:59:51

Wouldn't be cooincidental with Le French losing the Australian Subs order?

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
17/09/2021 09:41:33

Here in the West Midlands, our delivery can be anytime between 08:30 to 15:30, no logical pattern.

Just wait for the dog to start grizzling and know he / she is on the way. How does she know? You can't see the bottom of the road from the front of our house and the postie is hardly noisy, but the dog is always correct as 3 - 4 minutes later he / she appears walking up the hill the other side of the road. Amazing.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
14/09/2021 11:30:47

DAF Variomatic - correct (unkindley often referred to as ' the one with the rubber-band drive' ) I also used a Raglan lathe for many years having a similar system - was very good to use.

What constantly surprises me with this sort of thing is that there always seems to be someone who's thought of it before! .

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
14/09/2021 09:50:53

Back in late 50's I remember my mother having a strange contraption called a 'shopping bag'. This was reused thousands of times with no waste whatsoever ( made from some kind of material / canvas or similar), Now isn't that a clever idea?

She also used to send a hand written list to the high street coop and on Tuesdays, a chap would bring it all, carefully packed in cardboard boxes, on his push bike - proper grocery bikes with the big rack at the front as used by Granville in 'open all hours'. Yet again, no waste of fuel, no extra polution as per so called modern delivery! ( mind you, in all honesty I can't see that being very safe at all in modern traffic! )

I clearly remember this so well as she also used to include my 'Beano' and 'Dandy' comics in the order, so Tuesday was always a memorable day!

Edited By Mike Hurley on 14/09/2021 09:52:08

Thread: Myford ML7 service in Devon
12/09/2021 10:26:10

Whenyou say ' pass it on ' is this going to a friend / relation or are you looking to sell? If the intention is to sell, in my opinion it would be an unnecessary expense to get it serviced as this would prove quite costly ( even if you could find someone qualified to do it properly) and you would probably not recoup that cost in what you could sell it for.. Generally speaking, anyone buying a lathe like this will either be familiar enough with the type to be aware of it's condition, or if not, they would be wise to take advice from someone who does know (such as numerous past postings on this website) before parting with money.

Hope that's of help

Thread: Hole in tool post
10/09/2021 15:44:06

Thanks Michael & John for clarifying things - the info on Lathes.co was particularly useful!

I'll look into getting a suitable locking fitting knocked up as I have had a few toolpost ' slippage ' issues in the past!

regards Mike

10/09/2021 13:46:11

What area are you from? If local ish you can borrow on of my faceplates no problem ( i'm in the West Midlands )

regards

10/09/2021 13:35:40

Co-incidence or what. The non myford lathe that I've got is an ageing BV20! So I have exactly the same issue. Never come across anyone with one of these before - is yours the version with the gearbox for speed changing or the belts version? If the gearbox one I assume you also own a pair of substantial ear defenders?

Mike

10/09/2021 13:22:43
Posted by Gavlar on 10/09/2021 13:03:37:

It's for a pin that locates in the compound slide, presumably to prevent the toolpost moving under load.

I've got exactly the same model ( RDG? ) and it doesn't align with the corresponding detent hole in my compound. To be fair, I think it is sold as ' for Myford and similar size machines ' maybe it does align on Myfords specifically? ( Mine's not a Myford ) I have always thought it might be an alignment hole for a pin when manufacturing?

Thread: How to post lithium batteries?
10/09/2021 13:09:47
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 10/09/2021 12:04:14:

I think this is about the batteries being actually inside and connected as there is are known fire and magnetic field risks......I do remember (vaguely!) that the batteries MUST be in their own packing with the terminals safely blanked.

My recent new security cameras from a major supplier came with Lithium batteries fitted and ready to go. There were big labels on the box stating that there were such batteries inside. Think they came via an Amazon courier?

Thread: Hi
10/09/2021 13:01:10

Welcome to the forum - enjoy!

I think there are two main classes of people in this field ( obviously there are loads in between! ) - those who plan and document precisely or the back of an envelope sketch and try-it type. I suppose the first type might be considered a 'proper' engineer but I can't think of a term for the second even though their skills might be equal to or even surpass those of the first type?

I fall into the sketch it and make it group which 9 times out of 10 means I end up modifying what I have made or chucking it in the scrap and re-making it properly from what I learned first time around. It matters little using this approach with most type of stuff I do, but in the end I generally enjoy the process, which is what a ' Hobby ' is all about..

Personally I tend to find using CAD rather tedious as I always seem to spend more time working out why this dimension doesn't click to that line, or where the hell a whole layer of drawing has disappeared to after 2 hours of work on it! etc rather than doing the bit I really enjoy which is cutting metal. However, I do fully appreciate the need for high accuracy drawings / CAD / CAM with complex or critical assemblies and quite essential in industrial scenarios. As I said earlier - its supposed to be a hobby, so just enjoy doing what floats your boat.

Take care. Mike

Thread: 3 x 5 twin Victorian workshop steam engine restoration
10/09/2021 10:00:25

Appreciate that Steve.

All the best, Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest