By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Hurley

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Hurley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: new member
16/05/2022 09:31:06

Welcome Phil, you'll get a lot out of this forum and with experience should hopefully in time be able to put stuff back to help others.

One recommendation as you are new to turning, is to get a couple of good books to guide you. The 'Workshop Practice' series are excellent, written by experts in the various fields and very reasonably priced for the level of info they contain. They often contain 'starter' projects that guide you through the learning process in sensible stages. Just be a bit cautious about Youtube videos as there an awful lot of 'experts' out there who really haven't got a clue - and you could pick up bad or even dangerous habits. There are also a lot of very good videos made by knowledgeable folk, but the problem for the inexperienced chap is sorting the good from the bad.

Any queries - don't be afraid to ask, but always try to do a search through the site first as you'll probably find any question has been asked before and promptly answered. (Tip - use the search box halfway down the home page, I personally find it works better than the one at the top of these pages)

All the best in your 'learning journey'. Mike

Thread: Myford Super 7 at SRS for only 395
06/05/2022 10:15:18

Certainly looks the part now Bob, great effort! Mike

Thread: UK DRIVING LICENCE [ 2022 issue ]
06/05/2022 10:13:05

May initially seem off-topic, but isn't!

Have read recently that the government are altering the rules about passport expiry dates, which will cause confusion at the passport office - hence creating more delays. A number of commentators have said that this is to deliberately cause these delays and give them an excuse to privatise the whole show. Obviously I can't personally say if this is true or not.

However, if it is, why not do the same with the DVLA? Why not write to your MP and suggest this?

Thread: Lever operated tailstock for Clarke CL430/500M
05/05/2022 09:05:35

As I said, I just wanted to understand the thinking behind it, and I think the comments have done that admirably! Think I shall be looking into similar for my trusty old lathe as & when time permits.

Over the years, I've occasionaly spent time making things that appeared as a 'good idea' on the face of it, but often failed to deliver (bit like politicians) , so it's really useful to hear from people who have used something like this and give positive feedback.

John H : Have you tried one of those spring loaded centres that you can use with taps? - they work great generally and allow a straight start to threading a piece in the chuck. Use with your 'crank' (often referred to as a mandrel handle)

All the best, Mike

04/05/2022 10:16:42

John, please don't think I'm being negative here, but its not immediately apparent to me what the purpose of this mod is - nice job that it is. I'm more than willing to learn something new if I'm missing the point!

Apart from using as a support for between centres work occasionaly, I mainly use the tailstock for drilling. Simply using the handwheel gives me a very fine degree of feedback on drill progress so never had one break. If using this long handle is for drilling, then surely the mechanical advantage could result in to much pressure applied to a drill, or a lack of 'feel' if starting to clog up with swarf? If being used for producing 100's of identical parts on rapid piecework, perhaps yes - but for hobby machining?

Again - please do not think I am critisising someone else's work, absolutley not. Just want to understand the thinking behind it.

regards

Thread: Workshop warming
29/04/2022 10:35:31

All the ideas about heated coats and thermals etc are fine, but at the end of the day, if your hands are cold, the tools and machinery are cold then its very difficult to work properly, and even slightly dangerous. Insulate the workshop as much as you can, and I'm afraid to say it but just heat it as you feel best. I realised many years ago that you can't take it with you, and these days nobody appreciates people being frugal. I fully echo what Baz said a few postings earlier.

Obviously we don't know your personal circumstances, but if this hobby is good for you, think upon it, and try to continue to get the most out of it. Several good space-heating suggestions in this thread, some which I will be investigating further on my own behalf!

All the best.Mike

Thread: UK DRIVING LICENCE [ 2022 issue ]
29/04/2022 10:23:58

A little while back, had a notice from them that my first 70 or over licence was due. Completed on-line same day, received licence 8 days later, amazing!

My wife, who had a slight medical condition about 10 years ago (and not since) had to apply to renew her licence by post. 11 months later is still waiting! (and yes, we know they are 'processing' it)

So my vote is to sack all the morons in the dvla, and simply replace it with a big Artificial Intellegence computer system.

Thread: Ambiguous words
22/04/2022 10:34:23

Refurbished.

One of the major on-line car dealers who advertise on TV regularly say something along the lines of 'each vehicle has a 300 point check and is fully refurbished..... '

Now to me, fully refurbished means every single moving part in the vehicle is dismantled, checked, adjusted and replaced if below spec. not just a general safety check, tweak the brakes, check the tyres. somewhat misleading IMHO

Mike

Thread: Electromagnetic Wave Interference
18/04/2022 11:02:47

I've recently installed the same setup and had no problems with interference. Did find NT very helpful (and quick) in sorting a couple of other minor issues.

I agree with some of the replies in that you should first check the earthing of everything, cable routing etc to eliminate the obvious. If all Ok, what about lashing up a temporary 'faraday' metal screen box for the inverter to see if that improves things and if it does you can build / get a proper one later?

regards Mike

Thread: Acme internal threading
14/04/2022 09:37:15

Have a look at 'Old Tony's ' video on the subject. Quirky style but full of very good advice. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11pcIJN1Gd8

Mike

Thread: Interesting Archive
12/04/2022 09:33:01

Great links - many thanks. I vaguely remember these from my youth and being fascinated by all the adds - always spotting odd things then thinking 'oh, I could make a super xxxx out of those parts - the imagination often running wild!.

What truly amazed me though when I looked at a couple of 1940 / 1950s P Mechanics was the sheer volume of stuff in them. The text was similar to the old fashioned broadsheet newspaper with pages of small closely spaced type which allows so much material to be included. In some ways, when looking at modern magazines (no finger pointing here), with lots of white space and large photos you realise the true scale of information presented back in those halcyon days.

Or is it that we nowadays haven't got the patience to painstakingly read through vast amount of text - but prefer the 'snapshot' approach driven by modern on-line media? Different era I suppose.

I forsee spending many happy hours in future reading past issues rather than doing the things I should be!

regards Mike

Thread: Mystery engine
11/04/2022 10:09:31

Wonder if it could be a very early version of Beng's 'Karl' hit & miss engine. The current model looks basically the same but with more additional features. Worth a look at their website www.bengs-modellbau.de/en/

Tip: Always useful to include a 6 or 12" ruler in the photo so as to easily show the size of the item if you aren't including measurements in the text.

regards Mike

Thread: Fitting DRO
10/04/2022 09:29:17

Glass or magnetic? if glass, then yes you can cut to size.

regards Mike

Thread: End Mills
05/04/2022 10:14:44

I've used my Warco mill for many years, mainly with HSS cutters and I dont think I have ever had one break. These have come from all manner of sources.

In fact, I'm not blowing my own trumpet as a user - In fact I feel that I have never quite ever got technique fully correct. Martin's list of all the factors for correct use is perfectly valid. and as he says, feed & speed are vital to get optimum cuts and I feel that personally I cautiously underfeed always thinking the cutter will flex or break and I often get poor results.

While the key factors are easy to consider - material, depth of cut, cutter type and speed is normally easy to get right with rpm counters on many modern machines. Feed rate is less obvious - although there is plenty of info around on rates for this or that material etc. how exactly is that supposed to be transferred to actual handwheel turning? (obviously I'm talking manual ops here) Ok with a stopwatch and appropriate length of cut you could time it but normally my eyes are focussing on the job itself and a several other things at the same time. I've never read anything that gives an explanation of a practical technique to get feed rate right - only many comments on how important it is.

So, is there some time honoured trick to getting this right - or as near as practical - I would dearly love to know, as I'm sure the OP would also!

All the bst Mike

Thread: Murad Cadet Restoration Project
03/04/2022 09:38:18

100% agree with Dave's comments - well worth considering a VFD setup if you can afford it! With spending so much time & effort in this restoration, and wanting to end up with a useful functioning piece of kit it's a no-brainer. Also, you may have to do a few minor mods to fit one (cable routing, motor mounts etc) so better to look into it at this stage rather than when its all back together.

Fitted mine 3 months ago, would never look back to the old single phase job.

regards

Mike

Thread: Southworth 12" Boiler Feed Pump
03/04/2022 09:23:30

Looks a lovely job Ian, well done!

Any chance of a few close up piccies of engine & boiler arrangement please?

regards, Mike

Thread: Hello from South West england
01/04/2022 19:21:50

Welcome to the forum Gavin - lots of friendly advice and useful info on here. Your mechanical engineering background and experience may well offer you opportunities to provide help to other members in the future.

All the best. Mike

Thread: The Future is upon us
01/04/2022 09:48:16

Another sad indication of how we are evolving?

I wonder how much pollution has been created by manufacturing and shipping these things? Still as Long as Mr Dyson makes heaps of cash - who cares?

Thread: Indicator
25/03/2022 09:56:14

Not familiar with that specific brand Stephen, but suffice to say that i own several (a mix of imp & metric - some 'inherited' ) of differing makes - American - Chinese - European etc and value. To be honest they all work fine and I wouldn't stress too much, just buy what you can afford from a reputable supplier and you'll be OK.

I don't hold much to 'brands' these days as there is so much badge engineering going on now you never know who makes what in reality.

regards, Mike

Thread: Finding things
25/03/2022 09:22:49

Sometimes, just go through the workshop and sling out anything that fits under the premise of ' I've had this for x years, don't remember wher it came from or why I kept it & will I infact EVER use it? - no! '

You'll free up a little space / clutter each time giving room to store / organise the important stuff.

I used to be a horder, but one day just got fed up with falling over stuff and having to remove 6 old boxes to find something I needed to use, I gradually started to de-clutter (not going mad though) and to be honest I don't think I can put my hand up and say I've had an episode since where I think - Oh I wish I'd saved so and so.....

My workshop isn't paricularly tidy & I doubt it ever will be, but it is definately more ' user friendly ' now

Just my own humble opinion. regards, Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest