By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicola Casali

Here is a list of all the postings Nicola Casali has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sieg KX3 Erratic Spindle RPM
07/02/2021 18:23:29

Ok, interference got me thinking. My Surface tablet is connected to the UC300ETH via ethernet. The UC300ETH connects to the BOB via the parallel port. There's a magnetic LED light attached to the headstock. I bought this off Amazon in October. That's when I started on my most recent project. I've had this spindle issue for a few months, including other glitches.

I powered on the spindle without the LED light on. Spindle ran fine. As soon as I powered on the light, the spindle starting speeding up. I also know that this light destroys my DAB radio reception. That should have been a clue.. I'll look into some ways to suppress the interference, but this won't be used with my mill for now.

I haven't yet been able to replicate the extreme behaviour I was getting with the spindle where it refused to even start. There could be other interferences, like humidity. I'll update when I find out.face 1

07/02/2021 01:31:40

I'm using a UC300ETH. I don't think it's that. Well, I hope not. (I do have a temperamental Z+ limit issue with it. But that's for another thread.) A poster in MyCNCUk talks about a circular magnet falling off from the motor, which sends back a signal. That's curious. Will have to investigate that one.

A couple of hours after power-up it seemed to stabilise. I'm leaving the machine on overnight with a little fan heater in case the temperature drops too much in my garage. We're supposed to be getting snow. I'd like to see if the spindle continues to perform correctly with a stable humidity and temperature.

It's very interesting to hear I'm not alone with this problem.👍

I've ordered a spare C11G in case I want to start flexing things to breaking point.😅

Thread: Updating KX1 to USB or Ethernet Controller
06/02/2021 19:15:40

I've got a UC300Eth running on my Sieg KX3 from a Surface tablet. It was quite a relief to get rid of my 2007 model Windows XP machine. It was relatively straight-forward to set up. Is the KX1 similar to the KX3?

Edited By Nicola Casali on 06/02/2021 19:16:02

Thread: Sieg KX3 Erratic Spindle RPM
06/02/2021 19:08:25

I've been ignoring this problem for months. The reason why is because it tends to disappear after half an hour after power-up or after power cycling. But it seems to be getting worse? Today, I was massaging the real-time speed of the spindle via the Mach3 interface whilst it was drilling holes.

When I turned on the spindle today, clockwise (M3) did nothing. It would only spin anti-clockwise (M4). I power cycled everything and managed to get a clockwise spin, but the RPM was all over the place. Anti-clockwise seems to be stable. I checked the 0-10V voltage output on the break-out board with the spindle disconnected. The voltage output was erratic.

Isn't the only difference between clockwise and anti-clockwise the voltage on the direction pin? Would that imply that the spindle control board is faulty? But the 0-10V output is not stable, which would imply something is wrong with the break-out board. Or maybe both?

Has anyone got any theories about what could be going on here? I'm tempted to get a C11G off Amazon to help with the diagnosis or even solve it. I think I need it as backup, anyway.🤔

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
02/11/2020 18:58:26
Posted by JasonB on 02/11/2020 16:59:27:

I just use F360's PP, when you click the PP icon this box comes up and if you click the highlighted arrow a whole list of choices comes up, just select Mach3mill and it will default to that in future.

I saw Mach3mill, but was not 100% certain this was the correct PP. Very helpful. Thank you. I can't wait to try it out.

02/11/2020 16:24:40

What post processor are you using with Fusion 360? I've done all of my CNC'ing on the KX3 with Aspire. I'm now trying Fusion 360, but haven't a clue what post processing to use. In Aspire I just select "Mach2/3 Arcs (mm)". Is there a config file available I can import? Thanks!

Thread: Sieg KX3 Controller Board Dying?
24/10/2020 16:50:37

Switching number 7 on the DIP switch to off seems to disable a pull-down resistor on pin 10, which I measured to be about 1.5M - 1.9M Ohms (can't remember exactly). The active light goes out, unless I press e-stop. Sorted? Seems to be behaving properly now.

This I discovered after I felt compelled to do some further investigations, upon realising a replacement board would cost £300.. In all 9 years I've had this machine, I have never touched the DIP switches. Not sure what's going on.

One guy posting on mycncuk in 2018 seemed to have an identical issue to mine on his KX1. Not sure how he resolved it. I'll update if I discover anything else or the fix stops working. Need to put this machine through a test and see if the z stops are still temperamental.

Thanks!

17/10/2020 16:30:44

This is the board without the optocoupler. I've checked the two closest resistors. They show correct resistance. The two pads of the left side of the optocoupler location show 4V. I could experiment and tack on a pulldown resistor of some high value.

Sieg KX3 BOB

17/10/2020 15:18:27

The optocoupler appears to be fine. I tried a replacement anyway. P10 remains high and the LED is lit. Removing the presence of an optocoupler completely, extinguishes the LED. I'm not sure what's going on here. Using the Index pin, P15, as the estop seems to work.

I think I'll contact ArcEuro. This is where I purchased the machine in 2011. Maybe they can still obtain spares.

Thanks for your help.

Edited By Nicola Casali on 17/10/2020 15:22:26

Edited By Nicola Casali on 17/10/2020 15:23:02

13/10/2020 23:28:30

Omg, it's actually a plug and socket! Plug comes away easily. That's going to make it a damn sight simpler to diagnose.thumbs up

There's pin 15, which I'm currently using as the index pin. It's not critical. I sometimes like checking the real RPM. I can use a handheld tachometer for now. E-stop needs to take priority.

Regarding the UC300eth board. It doesn't replace the KX3 bob controller board. It takes over the responsibility of the PC to send the parallel port stepper control signals to the KX3 bob in a timely fashion. That means the PC can lazily send gcode in its own time, over ethernet, and the timing of that is not critical, only that it needs to keep the gcode buffer topped up on the UC300eth. If my understanding is correct.

Edited By Nicola Casali on 13/10/2020 23:36:30

13/10/2020 12:36:38

P10 High

Thanks for the replies. The location of the Z limit switch is very helpful. I'll have to do some gymnastics to get to the back of the machine. The machine is actually backed up against a garage wall with little room for manoeuvre. UK garages are shoes boxes!

Currently, there's nothing attached to the P10 screw terminal, yet it shows a high signal. I don't think that's normal. Probe is also showing a partially lit led, despite the wire connected to its terminal dangling free unconnected. Could be stray EMI. I just need to unscrew the wire to double check. I've got some 817 optocouplers on order now. I think I'll desolder it and compare it against a new one. It'll have to be desoldered in-situ, as I don't fancy disconnecting the board.

13/10/2020 00:37:12

Hello all! I've had my KX3 since 2011. I had it installed by the late John Stevenson. I've been using it off and on all this time.

BTW, I switched to using a uc300eth in 2018, and now use a Surface tablet, instead of a museum piece PC. Much nicer!

I've just started another project that requires some CNC milling. However, the machine has started behaving erratically.

Input pin 10 is now permanently active. This is connected to the hardware estop, Disconnecting the button still shows an active pin 10. I've had to reverse the active low trigger to get out of the stop state, and I'm now running without a hardware estop. Not good. To note: for some reason, the actual wiring for the estop did not follow the circuit diagram in the manual. The two wires were plugged into P10 and Estop respectively. I would have thought the ground wire would have been plugged into AGND, not Estop?

The Z limits trigger randomly sometimes. Is there a Z limit switch hidden somewhere? I can't seem to locate it.

Regarding input pin 10, I'm wondering if the opto-pcoupler is at fault and whether it's worth replacing that. Or if I can get hold of a new Mach3 board, identified as SM11 in the circuit diagram? Anyone know if this is still available? Or maybe something of a similar spec, even.

Thanks!smiley

Nikki

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest