By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chuck Taper

Here is a list of all the postings Chuck Taper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Telescope Mount: DIY Azimuth Bearing Suggestions?
18/01/2021 09:37:57

First off that's a real nice job. Put some effort into an "Equatorial Dob" myself... haven't given up yet but....

Have you considered using a "Lazy Susan" type bearing?

Available in many sizes and qualities.

Extreme precision in a Dob. is one of those diminishing return things. (my own experience only)

tr12c_1.jpg

Looking forward to some pictures of the final instrument!!

Frank C.

Thread: My workshop improvements
20/12/2020 17:53:25

Anyone got a largish space sharing woodwork & metalwork.

How are you organised?

I'm in the shambolic stage of converting workshop from 100% woodwork towards 50/50 woodwork/metalwork.

More Anon.

Frank C.

Thread: Alternative to 365/office etc.
15/12/2020 09:56:28
Posted by Samsaranda on 15/12/2020 09:12:00:

Is Libre Office useable on a Mac computer, have been running MS Word for Mac but it is no longer supported by MS so looking to the future.
Dave W

Yes.

FC

Thread: Myford Question
12/12/2020 14:43:35

Theoretically (?) would a Super7 headstock & spindle fit on an ML7 base. If so what issues, if any, are likely.

Regards.

FC

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
12/12/2020 09:31:12

I have a Rostockmax V3. Got it a few years back as much for the build as the use.

Don't use it as much as I should but its a glory to behold in action.

Well worth a quick youTube search if you have nothing better to do.

FC

Thread: Myford Metric Conversion
04/12/2020 16:26:56

All

Just to add a (possibly pointless) update. The attached image shows 1481/1 as delivered. All else being equal I assume the void socket was where the 13th gear lived when the set masqueraded as 1481. Having just visited the shed to check, a 60 tooth gear fits precisely (allowing for temperature and humidity!!)

Not quite QED but it will do.

Regards.

Frank C.

img_3172.jpeg

02/12/2020 16:47:01

Picture below should speak 1k word.

I was going by the first paragraph.

"ega said:

It may be that you need the answer to your question more than you need the 1481/1!"

That's it exactly.

Was it simply one gear wheel dropped or was the overall mix of the gear set altered?

Regards

Frank C.

data sheet.jpg

02/12/2020 14:38:49

Tony

I appreciate what you are saying and I suppose I should have made myself a little more clear ( rather than being a bit flippant )

Having just acquired said 1481/1 (in original packaging nerd) I am wondering what the "missing" gear wheel could be.

I'm actually interested for reasons other than thread cutting. I'm collecting accumulating various add-ons & accessories & original documentation for ML7's as I can afford/acquire.

I hesitate to describe myself as a collector, rather a curator or historian - but not actually that either.

Thank you for your time.

Frank C.

02/12/2020 11:32:04

Reanimating/hijacking this topic to bear witness to the fact that I searched (at least a little bit)

Myford offered two versions of the Metric Conversion Set (to supplement quick change gear box)

1481 had 13 change wheels whilst 1481/1 had 12 change wheels.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the specifics of the difference.

I'm in training to be a pedant.

Thank you for your time.

Frank C.

Thread: Good YouTube videos
22/11/2020 21:32:01

Uri Tuchman difficult to categorise - whimsical that's it.

FC

Thread: Electric vehicles
19/11/2020 11:12:12

Its only change. Change is neither good or bad its just change. Technology always changes, always brings disruption - at least ever sense we decided that technology was a thing.
The poor old "corrupt & incompetent politicians" are hardly responsible for our (the mob?) preference to luxuriate in heretic/believer polemic instead of exploring opportunities & possibilities.
Current circumstances dictate that we need to change to a different set of circumstances. Engineers will, as alway, facilitate that with elegant/efficient solutions (hopefully).

...and the other thoughts along the same line

Frank C.

Thread: Tri-Leva decal artwork?
13/11/2020 19:45:36

Thank you all for taking time to engage.

A few things....

For those interested the original decal/label is 55mmx108mm.

The fonts are unknown to me. In the "Speed" & "Selector" words the O has a sort of square aspect - I have no font like that. The remaining text is of a different font again but a few close matches. I imagine that the original artwork probably hails from pre computer composition practices and perhaps no exact typeface match exists.

The colour of the 'Tri_Leva", in the above image, is a sort of orange but from an aggregate of images on the web I would guess its "Myford Red".

Andrew suggested a hires photo - would anyone be in a position to provide same? All I have is a black rectangle and images from every angle but dead on - from the internet. I have put about 2 hours into the 'Tri_Leva' logo part so it looks like this so its going to be a long slog.

As DC31k says I aiming for a facsimile as otherwise I'm doomed to eternal wandering in search of ..... on the other hand never mind.

Adam - I will probably steal your gear levers.

Regards.

Frank C.

13/11/2020 11:27:41

Hi All.

Wonder if anyone could point me at a source for a fair image (or actual artwork) of the speed selector decal on the front of a Tri-Leva unit. Trying to eliminate the 'void' on the front of latest toy. Images from internet are all slightly skewed so aren't really ideal for print. I am trying to avoid having to recreate artwork if I can.

Thank you for any time and consideration you can give.

Regards Frank C.

blank.jpeg

ss_tri.jpg

Thread: Myford Serial Number Question
30/10/2020 18:59:34

I'm putting this question here because I can't figure where else would be appropriate.

In a nutshell the question is what does the M suffix stand for in the serial numbering of Myford lathes.

I just landed an ML7 with Trileva & Screw cutting gearbox. Serial number indicates early 1971. The serial no. also has an M suffix (K99424M just for completeness). There are a few threads here and some stuff on lathes.co.uk but the mysterious M does is not addressed. (I suppose I could have missed it)

I just noticed today that the tailstock is engraved with a metric scale rather than an imperial scale. Could the M imply metric? Was there a metric version of the ML7?

Any and all intel would be greatly appreciate.

Regards

Frank C.

Thread: Introducing Myself
09/10/2020 09:43:09

Hi to all.

Logging in from Ireland, somewhere in the middle.

Been lurking for a while but feel I need to get this Introduction complete before I can rightfully enter the question asking phase.

Have recently escaped the career mill & as part of that have treated myself to a Myford ML7 as the centrepiece for my much anticipated "Engineering Works". This was an instrument I fell in love with in my first career - building experimental setups in in support of Scientific research. I shifted over to computers in the 80's and sort of drifted away from the 'mechanical' aspects of experimental implementations and more towards the craft of digital measurement and control. Later still I drifted into management but hopefully with copious medication, therapy and alcohol the memory of this will fade with time.

In any case I am now augmenting the 'Industrial Sector' to accommodate the above mentioned 'Engineering Works'. Here I hope to do some state of the art gadeteering with no particular end in mind. I am at that phase where collecting the various bits and bobs for the Myford is its own obsession so I expect any immediate posts to have something to do with that. But who can say there are so many interesting topics here, reams of stuff I had not considered, what to do!!!

Enough.

Regards.

Frank C.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest