By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Reggie Chant

Here is a list of all the postings Reggie Chant has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Randa lathe missing back gear
17/01/2021 21:24:15

Hi bazyle. I have seen it, but could tell that the gear was too thin for my lathe. I have been keeping my eyes peeled. I have been using it fine without the back gear but really need to find one. I have to just wait till one appears.

Managed to source a counter shaft and put correct belts on. I even have a spare change gear but I don't want to fit as a back gear as it looks to thin.

One day the correct elusive back gear will appear

07/10/2020 18:24:27

Ha yes metal muncher. I will get one as I hate incomplete things and I want this lathe to be the best it can be. A case of waiting for the right part to rear it's head.

07/10/2020 17:36:24

No I did not sell it. My old man brought it for me because I wanted to learn. I try not to sell gifts. I'm just going to wait for the right part to turn up. Working on building a countershaft for it when my 1 yr old lets me. Sadly she goes for anything sharp and dangerous.

I'm not on Facebook. I used to be but it started to annoy me although that was about 8 yrs ago maybe Facebook is better now.

I can live without a back gear and I don't mind waiting for the right part to surface.

12/09/2020 16:26:13

Ok thanks nick. You have been very helpful so thanks again

11/09/2020 13:43:03

As far as I can see online the measurements seem the same. Not sure on OD though. My change wheel that came with the lathe fits the back gear fine I just don't want to use that one through fear of messing up the thread that I will have to create.

11/09/2020 13:33:27

Actually can I confirm something is a myford 60t change wheel the same as a Randa a 60t change wheel?

11/09/2020 10:53:18

Ok cheers nick. I just think it's my best solution. Thanks again for your help and patience.

Reggie

10/09/2020 16:52:16

Hi all

Thanks for your responses. I need to enquire how much it would cost to get a gear made but I fear it will be very expensive. I will keep my eyes open for a second hand Randa lathe that I could use for spares.

I will check cost first.

Cheers

Reggie

06/09/2020 18:33:20

Thanks guys I'm not home for a couple of days but when I get back will check your recommendations out. The gear app looks handy so will definitely check that out.

I will keep you updated.

Nick I will probably bug you at a later stage about the change wheels configuration for power feed and threading. I'm struggling to understand the setup for this

That one for a later date though

All the best

Update coming soon

06/09/2020 06:43:48

Cheers hopper

That does make things easier as all I need to do is drill and thread and add a grub screw. Many thanks.

Cheers for the advice nick will look into it. I have been reading the amateurs lathebook which is the only book I found which relates better to these older lathes. I did the measurements for the pulleys and the math to work out speed and the speeds seem to relate to what is mentioned in the book.

All though without a rpm counter I can't be definate and I'm just relying on my math skills. I will read up a bit more and take a look at counter shafts.

Once again thanks for your input folks as I'm only just leaning.

Reggie

05/09/2020 19:36:48

Sorry just figured out how to add photos

05/09/2020 19:36:27

p_20200904_084626.jpg

05/09/2020 19:36:07

p_20200831_171854.jpg

05/09/2020 19:34:41

Hi thanks guys for the replies and so quickly. I thought it might be 60 tooth as I have the change gears and that one did fit when the back gear was engaged all though not meant to be there lol. Those measurements you gave are great nick so thanks.

If I have to I will get an engineer's place to make one up as there's no chance in hell I could make one.

Thanks Dave I will look into the belt.

Thanks old mart

I know I won't find another but just having the measurements means I can complete the lathe.

04/09/2020 09:02:37

Hi

I have recently purchased what I believe to be a Randa lathe all though it has no badge. I am a beginner at learning.

I was hoping maybe some one here has a similar lathe who can help me with either being able to find the missing back gear or the measurements for this missing part so I can possibly create the missing part.

Searched on Google but can't find specs only info on lathes site.

I will upload photos

Kind regards

Reggie

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest