By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thomas Cooksley

Here is a list of all the postings Thomas Cooksley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Painting on old galvanize
04/08/2020 13:46:41

Hi Adrian, The etch primer is the key. Looks like it may not have been etch primed first time that's why it's peeling of. You may need to degrease the door before applying the etch primer. As for the top coat how about hammerite, available in several colours with a smooth or hammered finish. That's what I would do.

Tom.

Thread: Turning a riser for VMC Z Axis
04/08/2020 13:24:07

Hi Dave, you sure have a lot to do to get that lathe working again. Would offer to help but I am way down in North Devon. Hope you get it sorted.

Tom.

04/08/2020 11:47:08

No confusion here Dave T has a Myford super 7 lathe but for some reason it's not working. In trying to be helpful can I ask why your lathe isn't working and is there any way anyone can help with that?

Tom.

Thread: Cutting an M33 x 3.5 thread on my ML7
03/08/2020 21:39:11

Hi Captain, we have all got tied up in cutting this thread and how it mates with spindle on your new lathe but how are you going to hold a steel blank large enough to turn a face plate out of on your Myford ML7? it's not going to fit in the chuck. IMO your only chance would be if you already have a face plate for your Myford then you could bolt your work piece to that. It would need to be very carefully balanced as well, that lump of steel is going to weigh several kg's and you don't want that getting out of balance on your lathe.

Tom.

Thread: What's this ebay thingy?
03/08/2020 19:05:13

As old mart said it's a lovely bit of kit but what is it for? It appears that every angle is adjustable and there is a feed similar to the compound slide on a lathe. Like old mart said whatever it's for would have to fit in the chuck. Could it be for sharpening drill bits or mill cutters?

Tom.

Thread: Covid virus and oil
03/08/2020 13:59:27

As I understand things the soap removes an oily film that protects the virus and helps it enter human cells. Bit of a guess here, adding oil might replace the film or even make the virus stronger.

For a definitive answer try the World Health Organization they might have the answer.

Tom.

02/08/2020 18:06:47

Hi Captain, the more you do in this game the more you will find that there are many different names for things and processes as well. There are many modern names for things that more traditional engineers call something else, none of them Wong, just different.

The simple fact is that there will be a: stop, lip, register (call it what you like) to tighten up against. If you had a straight main spindle and a through hole it would just get tighter and tighter while you were turning your wood. The end of the spindle may come right through and damage what you are making. Also you would find difficult if not impossible to unscrew the two parts.

Tom.

Thread: Coping with deafness
01/08/2020 17:03:30

Hi Everyone, I can see that this is going to be a tough one! not because there is any shortage of things that could be done but getting someone who has been independent all their life to accept help is often very hard.

I she wont accept a flashing light how about a flag that drops down or lifts up?

Tom.

Edited By Thomas Cooksley on 01/08/2020 17:29:45

01/08/2020 16:29:01

Hi Everyone, not done it yet I'm sorry, not being familiar with wood lathes I assumed that the centre hole in the face plate would be smaller than the size of the shaft leaving a lip to come up against the end of the shaft, thus requiring tapping right up to the lip.

Tom.

01/08/2020 11:51:19

Hi Captain, while I don't have a myford 7 and therefore am unable to comment on if it is able to cut a 3.5mnm pitch thread. I can help with some general information about cutting threads.

As Brian Woods said your starting hole needs to be 29.5mm, it's easy to work out in metric just take the pitch away from the nominal diameter. Ie 33-3.5=29.5. Also you will need a lathe tool with a 60 degree cutting tip as all metric threads are 60 degree.(a lot of imperial threads are 55 degree)

If you decide to use taps to cut your thread you will most likely need a set of three taps: taper, second and plug. Because the thread will need to go all the way to the bottom in order to screw on the shaft.

Hope some of this helps, Tom.

Thread: Hello Everyone
01/08/2020 11:10:53

Hi James, I am new here as well, welcome and have fun.

Tom.

Thread: New member from the westcountry.
31/07/2020 13:42:55

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcomes, I'm sure as I settle in I will get to know what is going on.

Tom.

Thread: Wire colours for Brook Gryphon motor
30/07/2020 16:54:02

Sounds spot on to me. Like Emgee said make sure that the cable is rated for 230/240 volts and the cross sectional area is large enough for the motor current.

The colours of your cable are for three phase, nothing wrong with that but the cores should be marked to help stop anyone thinking it's a three phase motor. Brown and Blue are fine for the main winding but when it comes to the start winding the polarity changes with direction. These should both be marked brown (a turn of brown insulating around the core will be enough) in the motor and the switch. I also like the idea of the lables things like that can be a great help to anyone coming after you.

Hope this helps Tom.

Thread: New member from the westcountry.
30/07/2020 16:10:46

Thanks for the welcome Brian, i'm sure I will make lots of new friends.

Tom.

30/07/2020 12:43:51

Hi everyone my name is Tom and I live in Barnstaple North Devon. I am an electrician and for most of my time I have worked on industrial electrics specializing in traditional (contactors and relays ect) control systems.

For most of my working life I had access to workshop facilities and I learnt to use a lathe, mainly for the purpose of skimming the comminutator of a DC electric motor.

With retirement fast approaching and my current employer not having the workshop facilities I had enjoyed in the past, a few years ago I bought myself an Axminster C2/300 lathe. Pocket size compared to some of the machines I've used in the past but none the less a lovely little lathe.

I have an interest in electronics but no formal training and I have constructed many electronic projects. My latest is high spec no holds barred hi-fi amp built with discrete components not just a couple of modules linked up with wire. I do not wish to upset anybody who uses modules, I use them myself sometimes for quickness.

My big passion in life is railways and I often use my lathe for repairs and improvements to my model railway. My latest job on the lathe was an adaptor to allow me to fit a face plate with a 80mm fitting to the 100mm drive flange on my lathe.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest