By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thomas Cooksley

Here is a list of all the postings Thomas Cooksley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cleaning Internal Morse Tapers
04/11/2020 19:27:57

Hi Doc, I know you said that you didn't want to ream the head and tail stocks but I am afraid I agree with Vic a morse taper reamer is going to give you the best finish and pay dividends in the long run. Tom.

Thread: Boxford Brook Crompton motor insulation testing advice,please.
04/11/2020 16:01:34

Hi everyone, as Emgee said the pass mark is 1.0 M ohms, so your 60 M ohms is fine. You should do your insulation test after getting the earthing right. Again Emgee is correct in saying the pass for this is 0.1 ohm. It should be checked between the earth pin on the plug and the frame of the motor. In theory this should be tested at a current of several amps but unless you have access to a portable appliance tester a multimeter will have to suffice. Hope this helps Tom.

Thread: Looking for recomendations.
19/10/2020 18:34:03

Hi everyone, just a thought: it's not something simple like the chuck guard not being closed? or if the motor runs OK on the bench is the lathe seized or tight to turn? Tom

Thread: Using a gear to index a chuck
05/09/2020 11:44:47

Hi Paul, There is one in David Fenner's book:- THE MINI LATHE. It is for a Seig mini lathe but you may be able to adapt it. Tom.

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
05/09/2020 11:34:07

Hi Nigel, That's a beautiful piece of engineering well done and thanks for sharing it with us. Tom.

Thread: look forward to fun projects!
01/09/2020 16:59:51

From one Thomas to another, welcome aboard.

Thread: varifocals
31/08/2020 18:35:09

I've worn varifocals for many years with no troubles at work or in the workshop, it is true that on a few occasions you can end up looking through the wrong part of the lens and you have to shift your glasses to compensate. I personally find a smaller lens better than a larger one but that might just be me. And yes they can take a while to get use to. Tom.

Thread: New Moderators
31/08/2020 18:19:27

Congratulations to Dave and Mike hope you both enjoy your new roles. Tom.

Thread: New Member Intro
20/08/2020 20:30:38

Hi Adrian, Welcome to the forum, the pool of knowledge here increases with every new member. Tom.

Thread: Hi, new member
20/08/2020 11:05:18

Hi Glenn, Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get plenty of advise here. Tom.

Thread: Hello
16/08/2020 18:36:27

Hi Paul, If it's an outside thread and it's a common thread you may be better off using a tail stock die holder. Much easier than setting up the change gears and doing multiple passes with a cutting tool.

Hope this helps Tom.

16/08/2020 18:26:51

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum, all sorts on here it all adds to the diversity and the great wealth of knowledge, I am sure it won't be long before someone is asking for your help.

Tom.

Thread: Good morning
12/08/2020 12:18:15

Hi Tom, Welcome to the forum. from another Tom.

Thread: New Member
10/08/2020 16:53:33

Hi Maurice, Welcome to the forum. Tom.

Thread: Greenish amateur lathe enthusiast
10/08/2020 16:46:40

Hi jon, Welcome to the forum, there is a bottomless well of engineering knowledge here. You name it there is someone here that knows how to do it.

Tom.

Thread: Another new member
09/08/2020 12:54:13

Hi Peter, Welcome to the forum. Tom.

Thread: Cigarette Papers
09/08/2020 12:44:58

An ounce of tobacco use to come foil wrapped or if you could afford it you could get a two ounce tin. When empty these tins came in very handy for storage, I still have a few but I haven't smoked for 30 years.

Tom.

08/08/2020 17:29:06

I suspect the most common available will be the green papers, it's the ones I used when I use to smoke. I have never used for engineering although use to use them when de-magnetizing tape heads.

Tom.

Thread: Vfd sizing
08/08/2020 17:14:18
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 08/08/2020 16:48:22:

Gentlemen, wasn't the question I have a 3 phase pillar drill that has a 0.37kw motor 220-240 50hz should I buy a slightly bigger vfd say 0.5kw. I haven't notice a straight forward answer, could it be on the way any time soon,

That may be because there is no straight answer. As an electrician taking on this job for a customer I would want to see the pillar drill and check for my self before fitting an inverter. To insure the correct size was fitted. Too small risks repeated tripping and even burning out the inverter; too big costs more than it needs to and far too big the inverter may not work correctly and may damage both the inverter and the motor.

Tom

08/08/2020 14:11:14

Hi Everyone, the motor on most pillar drills is seldom pushed to it's full power, if you look in the instructions it should give some maximum drill sizes for different materials. So a 3.7kW inverter should be enough, but you should also check the full load current of the motor marked as FLC on the rating plate. I have in the past had to fit the next size up inverter because of the FLC not the kW.

Make sure you set the motor current in the parameters this will allow the inverter to protect the motor in the case of an overload. Setting a longer acceration ramp (say 10 seconds) will reduce starting strain on both the motor and the inverter.

Hope this helps Tom.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest