By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Keith Charters

Here is a list of all the postings Keith Charters has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe levelling and alignment
04/12/2020 12:16:02

Thanks again for all of your tips and suggestions, all very useful. I finally, after a fair amount of sweat and tears, managed to shim the rear of the tailstock end of the lathe, which has removed most of the twist. Harold Hall suggests aiming for no more than 0.002mm over a length of 100mm. I got mine to 0.005mm over 150mm, so pretty close to Harold's sugested figure and I do not think I can do much better than that. I may have to revisit this from time to time anyway, as my lathe and stand sit on a wooden shed floor, so there is likely toi be some flex in that over time.

18/11/2020 14:09:47

Thanks to everyone who responded lots of useful information there, especially in Harold Halls article. I have one more question. A number of people have suggested raising blocks as a method of removing any twist in the lathe bed. However, the Warco WM250V has three mounting points, 2 at the headstock and one at the tailstock. These are all in line parallel to the lath bed. So although they could be used to level the lathe along its length, they can't be used to level the lathe front to back. That would mean resorting to shimming, probably at the tailstock end. Does anyoine have any other ideas how I could achieve this?

Thanks to all. Keith.

17/11/2020 14:46:10

Hi all, I am a relative newcomer to model engineering. I recently purchased a Warco WM250V lathe and Warco stand that is around a year old. I have now installed it in my workshop, which is a wooden shed. I have levelled the stand as best I can and have followed some of the tips found on this forum re checking the headstock alignment with the bed of the lathe.

I set up a 25mm bar in the 3 jaw chuck so that it extend around 180mm from the jaws and not supported by a centre. The bar is firmly supported by the chuck and there is no noticeable flex in the bar. I turned the centre of the bar down by around 2mm and left about 30mm at the chuck end and 30mm at the other end unturned. I then turned the two ends taking very fine cuts at the same crosslide settings and then measured these two ends with a micrometer. The end furthest from the chuck measured 24.65mm and the end closest to the check measured 24.87mm, so a difference of 0.22mm over a distance of around 150mm.

I am unsure if a twisted lathe bed would produce a taper of that magnitude or if there is misalignment of the headstock with the lathe bed.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to proceed and correctly level the lathe and remove any twist in the bed or if I need to re-align the headstock with the bed (a bit of a daunting prospect as I would need to strip the lathe down!)? How do I identify where I would need to add shims to remove any twist?

I am a little concerned that the stand and lathe are sitting on a wooden floor so I am give serious consideration to buying a suitably sized 30mm granite slab to sit the lathe and stand on and add some rigidity and also adding some levelling feet to the stand.

Any and all advice and suggestionsgreatly appreciated.

Thread: Ideal Rotary Table size
29/09/2020 10:59:44

Hi, I have recently bought a Sieg SX2.7 bench top milling machine and I am looking at buying a suitable Rotary Table. The table size is 140mm x 595mm. The options I have are a 4" or 5". Can anyone advise which would be better suited to this Sieg machine? My instinct is to go for the 5" but I don't know if that would be too big. All advice very welcome. Keith.

Thread: Mini Lathe Gib strip question
14/07/2020 14:47:29

Hi, having recently retired I have decided to take up model engineering again after a gap of 20+ years. I have recently taken delivery of a new Warco Super Mini Lathe with which I am very pleased. However, during a strip down and clean to prepare it for use, I have noticed that both the cross slide and compound slide gib strips have only one indent drilled, not the three I was expecting (see attached photo). Can someone advise me please is this a problem? Everything appears to be smooth and I cannot detect any movement in either slide but I am concerned that this may be a problem once the lathe is regular use. Arceurotrade sell a gib strip upgrade to brass strips for these machines so would it be advisable to upgrade to the brass strips?

Thanks in advance, Keith.compound gib strip.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest