By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Best

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Best has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: choices of material to turn
17/08/2021 20:40:00

Some plastics turn well too, Delrin is good for that I may have heard.

As with metals ask about machining characteristics, some plastics are very tricky.

Thread: Myford 254 Hand Turning Rest
17/08/2021 20:32:26

cool totally cool

Thread: Looking for solution to incorrigibly jumpy needle roller bearings
17/08/2021 20:28:48

Polymer plain bearing, see how long that lasts.

IGUS

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
17/08/2021 20:21:42

laugh Jon, exactly how simple does it have to be to be within your threshold of acceptably easy?

Pitched roof vents

Nothing that works is very cheap, we are talking a lot of energy here, but a lot of the solutions are readily doable.

16/08/2021 22:10:22

laugh Another vote for expensive insulation here!

A trick often forgotten is "free cooling" running a small fan overnight to draw in cool air and draw down the interior temperature. The same trick can be achieved with a "chimney" through the roof, just block it off in winter.

I use this in my extensions slope-insulated roof, it lets the heat gained during the day out so it stays temperate all summer and winter.

Thread: universal pillar tool long arm castings
15/08/2021 21:11:11
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 15/08/2021 09:41:51:
Posted by Mike Poole on 14/08/2021 19:33:28:

Cast iron square bar could be a substitute, depending on how much trouble you want to go to is could pass for a casting after much work

Why would you make a homemade workshop tool look like a casting??

Easy answer - to make it look prettier.

Before you choke please remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. laugh

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
15/08/2021 20:36:10

I had a great afternoon at Basingstoke for a members day barbecue.

Lots of chatting and good weather, a good reminder of the social side of clubs.

SWMBO thought it was OK, so I am allowed to come again laugh

Edited By Roger Best on 15/08/2021 20:36:49

Thread: Nu-tool Milling Machine
10/08/2021 19:35:01

That format of mill is pretty common, there are bound to be a few people who have noticed prices on ebay or on this forum.

It looks pretty well cared for so I would hesitantly suggest £400, a good few are less but they last for decades and you can't tell condition from photos.

Reference similar-ish machines new:

warco

axminster

Thread: Old stuff too good to throw out
10/08/2021 18:09:13

Aircraft are routinely riveted, even modern ones. That sample look like my Grandfather's and he made flying boats in WW2. I am sure you have the floor sweepings of some complex job or three.

I expect the capsules legend is unrelated, it looks like a useful tin to store stuff in.

Thread: Vise/Vice advise
10/08/2021 17:36:22

I have a DH1 and it is beautifully made. Worth the cash and a special bit of kit for special jobs.

It is not big though - only 85mm wide. It will look small on the WM18, 100mm will look better.

By happenstance I also have a Warco cheapy 80mm vice and the difference is huge, its cute but loads of details are poorly executed. It still does the job and its ideal for that risky job where I won't curse too much if it gets dirty or scratched. Obviously I wish it was bigger.

Thread: GigaFactory
08/08/2021 12:51:58

I agree with much of the sentiments above, it does feel like individual efforts cannot pay unless subsidised, and that often looks like the government is subsidising the comfortable classes whilst bemoaning those who can't pay, which is divisive.

The only way to make your sums add up is to buy shares in a developing company with a good chance of success, i.e. to gamble, that's not an easy choice for most people as there will be losers.

There is no easy answer.

Thread: Problems in bending sheet aluminium to a 90 deg angle
07/08/2021 15:53:22

Gary has it. smileyyes

Thread: The shed may not be dead!
07/08/2021 15:49:35

I am one of those pushing my ambitions onto the front burner. I joined my local Model Engineering Society and bought a milling machine from Warco, probably at least a year earlier possibly two or more, than I would have otherwise.

Absolutely no regrets, the little time I have been able to enjoy those two has confirmed it was the right thing to do.

Thread: Worktop suitable for small mill
07/08/2021 15:41:58

I was looking at this problem last year, metal cabinets are good for about 100kg each, however they can rattle and wobble so I would advise that you brace the tops to the wall, and to each other very rigidly. your floor is wonderful so I won't mention levelling.

Thread: Moving vice on mill table....
07/08/2021 11:21:07

The other thing to check is the vice-bed interface, is the bottom of the vice flat and is there a bump or bit of swarf in the way.

Try the nuts first, they are an easy check. Poke a feeler gauge in.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
25/07/2021 20:54:57
Posted by Derek Lane on 21/07/2021 22:50:41:

What I did today is a little understatement phoned Warco and now am on the road to starting this hobby in ernest. Lathe and mill ordered along with quite a bit of equipment that I will need just to do the basics from there I will buy as needed. I did go for a 3 axis DRO for the mill but not power feed. The only thing I still need to buy is a vice but first need the new workshop to turn up after I have moved the existing one further down the garden.

Hi Derek,

Have you come down yet? wink 2

Thread: Wall Chart
25/07/2021 20:47:14
Posted by Gary Wooding on 25/07/2021 18:47:42:

In that case - problem solved. I've learnt something.

Thanks for letting me know.

PS. I don't know why it should take a long time to download, it's only 85KB.

I don't know why either but it is consistent with other sites.

Most of the delay seems to be finding the file rather than downloading it. Also I have to notice what is going on and that can take ages. wink 2

25/07/2021 17:42:27

Its working for me Gary - ta

it loaded as a pdf in another tab. That seemed to take a while.

Thread: Hydrogen
25/07/2021 01:43:55
Posted by Rockingdodge on 24/07/2021 14:55:46:

Electric cars are promoted as lower maintenance costs but where is the cost of battery replacement factored in as I can't believe they would last the vehicles life and would there be a tail-off of performance as the batteries reach end-of-life?

And would the recycling/refurbishment of batteries be completely green?

Roger

The world has moved on the battery replacement problem, they last pretty well generally, but can fail like engines and gearbox's fail. yes they do tail off, but so does an engine and suspension parts. Plenty of Teslas have run up enormous mileages on original batteries. There is a good trade in upgrade batteries for Nissan Leafs. Apparently they make good taxis and can do amazing mileages.

No recycling is completely green. it needs people and they have a carbon foot print.

I do like the Apollo 13 analogy. kulou

Edited By Roger Best on 25/07/2021 01:46:18

23/07/2021 18:26:31

Another great thread. Pretty positive I would say.

Bamford's work is excellent, it should protect his share price enormously.

The graph showing when to use batteries was excellent. The position of the curve will move a bit as technology develops but it shows that Musk would be wise to look at Hydrogen for his semi tractor.

Another very good video about hydrogen cars is James May talking about his new car. What hit him was how much better the new car was, Toyota having shrunk the fuel cell and electrics to produce a car that was a vast improvement on the old model but with a reduced list price.

link

Toyota are famous for not embracing EV as hydrogen is better in their opinion. Japan is notable for not having its own fossil fuel supply so they invested heavily in nuclear and using hydrogen is seen to be better than importing oil, so a significant hydrogen distribution system has been built.

One point that I haven't noticed is that modern cars are very good. Our Honda Civic is 18 years old and is only just starting to need the TLC that other cars I have had needed well within ten years of duty. My 100,000 mile SMAX is not so well built but still drives very well and I am looking forward to several more years of use, there seems to be plenty of the early ones about and plenty that have done 150k so it should be good for at least 5 years more.

It is quite probable that many people will keep their cars on the road while they can afford the fuel rather than invest money and charging time in a BEV.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest