By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Best

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Best has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?
13/09/2020 18:02:54

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

I like some of your ideas Bazyle. I will see what I have, using a fence post seems promising as I have some.

I am making a fuss because I have had a bad back for about 30 years and its currently only a mild hindrance, however I had Covid earlier this year and its taken a lot of strength out of me, so I am particularly wary of doing serious mischief.

I do have some fit neighbours but there is so little room that the chance of an accident is too high, I like controlled lifting so I shall probably try something involving the pallet and plank idea.

Its also worth noting that the bench is 1070mm high, so to get it into the drip tray I would need two motorbike lifts.

This is how we erected the South Bend, I have done it with muscle before but we found it was very tricky here and I opted for a safe method. For the mill job the floor is full so a wall or ceiling mounted crane is needed.

cimg9121.jpg

Thread: BSF and Whitworth "Across the flats " sizes.
13/09/2020 17:04:02

yeah Hopper, some have a huge amount of bruising.

I think I shall have to do some measuring.

12/09/2020 22:47:21

I have a considerable collection of spanners that may have taken four generations to collect. I have yet to give them a good sort even though they where in my shed for a decade. They have been washed recently to remove asbestos and rat excreta, and are now in my back lobby for us to trip over.

The old ones are clearly "steam spanners" very thick and suitable for brass or bronze fittings, rather rusty, however I have noticed that the tolerance across flats is pretty loose, such that couldn't find a good fit for my USA South Bend lathe tailstock locking nut. The best one was made by a mangle manufacturer.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just a case that spanners where pretty crude in the day?

Ta, Rog

Thread: Strength of Beams
12/09/2020 22:22:03

smiley Nice to see some engineering discussion.

How about suggesting what frequency the tool will resonate at and what surface finish will result?

Thread: Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?
12/09/2020 22:07:54

Ta Dave, I am expecting to have to strip it down to a two-man lift but I may have to move it off the drive on my own.

I have a rope pulley that is good for this weight, so I just need to fit a lifting beam....wink

12/09/2020 21:15:30

Ramp sorted. The floor should have been higher but the builder gave up before a nice thick self- levelling screed had been laid so I had to do something myself.

cimg9224.jpg

09/09/2020 19:19:56

Quote received - £1000 cheeky

I know that a proper job would be expensive but that was a bit steep for me, I shall put the money towards the labour of something I don't find satisfying.

Its ready to send to me so I hope it won't be long.

07/09/2020 16:07:34

Ta Stuart

I had hoped to avoid that, but if needs must...

Fortunately there is some guidance available on the matter.

https://youtu.be/0wSbjLyvvXI

Edited By Roger Best on 07/09/2020 16:08:34

06/09/2020 22:18:55

smiley The milling machine is at Warco, its due to have the DRO fitted before being delivered.

Its going to be a big job to get it on the bench so I have asked for a quote for that.

I realised that the lathe was where it could be erected, not as close as it could be to the wall, so I pushed it over using a car jack. there is now just enough space to get the mill in if we take off the front crank handle.

Edited By Roger Best on 06/09/2020 22:19:26

Thread: Chamfer Block
06/09/2020 21:53:42

surprise I have a pneumatic thing I now need to dig out and have a close look at!

Thread: 1/20th Scale Traction Engine
06/09/2020 17:38:00

smiley Hi Nigel

Thanks for posting this and the link to your blog site in your first post. Loads of interesting reading there.

I was instantly attracted to the post as I am very much into toy engines, Mamod, Wilesco and Mercer for traction engines. Like you I am inspired by Cherry Hills work; I am a Fellow of the IMechE and I have made the pilgrimage to see her models more than once. They are breathtaking, so small that the close-up views in the book hardly make sense.

Your idea to make this pretty and fat-boilered Burrell is a sound one. There is plenty of space for heating area and transmission in the design, where a more efficient, more modern (is that the right word in 2020??) prototype would be a tight fit. You might want to nudge the size of the cylinder a little bit but it won't be much; the DM Mercer has a tiny cylinder, no steam jacket, only two small wicks and can pull a child, that is powerful enough.

Your engine will be more like a Myfordboy, due to the techniques used. That is a good runner but not very pretty and I am glad you are putting the work in to do a classier job.

I look forward to further instalments with great interest.

Thanks

Rog

Thread: Hi All
06/09/2020 16:44:39

Welcome Terry!

I am a sort of new starter too.

Thread: Warco Mill - but what model??
28/08/2020 12:02:26

smiley Hi Matthew,

Although this is described as an economy mill it is a beast relative to modern mini-mills intended for hobby use. Its only an economy machine relative to "proper" industrial machines. I am sure you will have a lot of fun playing with it.

Thread: Drummond Lathe
28/08/2020 09:58:13

laugh Thank you all for such helpful advice and information. I have a copy of Sparey, from 1998, which may be about when I got this lathe. It has followed me around ever since awaiting some free time and space.

As shown in Sparey's excellent book a modelling lathe is a supremely flexible machine and far more adaptable (or easily adaptable) than an industrial lathe. I would encourage anyone who can get one at reasonable cost to have a go with it to enable some of the more interesting jobs.

27/08/2020 22:22:44

cool Yippee lots of info on my lathe! Thanks guys.

It desperately needs some extra-TLC on the spindle, a previous owner tried to convert it to V-belt and didn't re-assembly the spindle, which has since seized. It lacks a makers plate so I can't date it accurately but it does look like the older model Ms. I will post some better pictures before I ask any questions.

The "manuals" look to be more like sales brochures, they lack instruction for setting up the change gears. I guess such instruction was encouraged in person?

cimg9073.jpg

cimg9196.jpg

Thread: Is a hand scraper pulled or pushed?
25/08/2020 19:29:22

smiley

All this conversation has been about improving the quality of something by careful manual attention. Its still a useful skill, if you want it better than the best machine you have, hand finishing is a good way to go.

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
22/08/2020 15:54:17

smiley The way to start is to make boilers of less than 3 bar.litres, get used to the skills, seek competent instruction, test a few joints destructively and get to know how to use your desired materials properly.

The rest should be less worrying.

Thread: Wooden Gears
22/08/2020 12:26:54

The issue is making the best of the resources available, not being restrictive; innovation is king in the real world.

I say ply is wood enough. wink

22/08/2020 00:57:01

Plywood gears? - no problem.

https://youtu.be/tVbh_FEiF2E

https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q

Edited By Roger Best on 22/08/2020 01:03:00

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
22/08/2020 00:42:44

OK Paul - I do see your point - that it is too difficult for a vendor to keep track of a design if the originator can't be bothered to record the corrections.

Thanks for reminding me about silver-soldered boilers - that's another problem I have elsewhere.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest