By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for br

Here is a list of all the postings br has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Allchin help
02/07/2021 18:28:46

Allchin winding drum casting is machined to a finished size of 4.25 inch o/d and a finished width of 1 and 1/32 inch.

This is from Reeves drawing they sent me when I was making my 3/4 inch scale allchin.

I suspect the rachet is michined from bar and attached to it, as Minnie is. and as on my 3/4 model, but stand to be corrected

bill

02/07/2021 17:32:08

Not done Allchin but Minnie.so may be similar so will try to help.

Can you post a picture of casting please on here or in album - both sides ?

bill

Thread: Strimmer /BrushCutter any recommendations ?
02/07/2021 08:31:38
Posted by pgk pgk on 01/07/2021 21:55:14:
Posted by br on 01/07/2021 21:25:51:

Michael.

If on someone elses property does that not make it their responsiblity as opposed to yours ?

bill

It should be the same as tree branches - if they overhang your property then you can cut them but the owner of the tree has no responsibility to do it unless they overhang a roadway or public footpath
Officially Michael is trespassing but I doubt anyone cares...unless he gets rid of it all and the cattle start to break through the fence.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Seems unfair that Michael is faced with expenditure due to lack of interest by the owner.

01/07/2021 21:25:51
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/07/2021 20:17:00:
Posted by pgk pgk on 01/07/2021 20:10:04:

If your brambles are on a flat then I’d barge through them with a small front deck ride on but steep and inaccessible means manual or spray it.

The brambles are on someone else’s property, on a slope, just over my fence-line … Using a manual strimmer on a small area is probably all I can get away with.

MichaelG.

Michael.

If on someone elses property does that not make it their responsiblity as opposed to yours ?

bill

01/07/2021 17:16:51

Rober Butler

Most interesting post and never heard of fuel stabiliser but a quick google just confirms what you said.

Always something new to learn on this forum

Fuel stabilizers keep fuel fresh and effective for at least two years of storage time. ... Old fuel can also leave gummy deposits behind in sensitive areas of the motor. The bottom line is trouble, unless you let a fuel stabilizer prevent it. This stuff really works.

bill

01/07/2021 16:55:32

Just checked and ours is the Husqvarna 535iRX7 .

Cost us best part of £1000 with batteries and frankly we find battery life is a PITA.

My neighbour has a agriculturaal business and sells them

STHIL petrol driven is his recommendation .

bill

Thread: SIP 14" Professional Bandsaw
01/07/2021 16:50:36

So we are talking on / off two button with no volt release ?

Can you post a picture showing back of switch with terminals / spade connections ?

bill

Thread: Strimmer /BrushCutter any recommendations ?
01/07/2021 16:02:45

Michael

Would this be a battery type you need ?

bill

Edited By br on 01/07/2021 16:03:46

Thread: SIP 14" Professional Bandsaw
01/07/2021 11:02:11

Can you provide the model number please ?

bill

Thread: 0-4-0 Gemma 7.25"
30/06/2021 18:50:17

Polly Models list them on page 80 of their catalogue: Polly catalogue

bill

Thread: Fowler Build
29/06/2021 20:51:43

Recommendation from TT forum

Making steel boiler using copper drawings as a basis.

Best to speak to a boiler maker tbh, I can recommend my friend,

Ben Clapham of Acorn Steam LTD

07756 352094

He currently doing 2 x 7 1/4" gauge 9F loco boilers for me in steel using copper drawings as a basis!

Bill

Thread: Stuart SIRIUS on ebay
29/06/2021 19:27:21

There is a very much nicer one Dave, on ebay also. no broken pipes, painted a nice dark green at £795

Seriously over priced me thinks

bill

Thread: coupling rods and crankpins in gauge O live steam
29/06/2021 17:22:55

It matters not wether steam or electric, the motion is the same for both . You are splitting hairs, as not part of your original question.

Also have things moved on since BP and Bowman? The motion , which is your original question, is the same engineering and principles as it was 50 years ago.

Hardened eyes will outlast umpteen bushes is spot on.No guesiing involved.

bill

PS you are correct in saying ACE trains are electric , so you are not missing something.

I have hornby and bowman without bushes, some are 70 yeasrs old from my youth, still original and no signs of wear. I could not say if the rods are case hardened .  I suspect the operators such as ourselves will wear out before the engines . wink

Edited By br on 29/06/2021 17:23:38

Edited By br on 29/06/2021 17:45:06

29/06/2021 15:20:08

As Ian T on this one, and this was the norm on Hornby, Bassett- Lowke. Bowman, etc on the majority of their 0 gauge engines. My current ACE locos are not bushed.

The higher priced models had bushes and sorry to disagree but there is space to fit bushes in 0 gauge - it just invoves some afine machining.

bill.

29/06/2021 12:39:17

Worth mentioning Michael as someone may appreciate it.

Sirius castings are availabble still as Jason says but they do not do the castings for the compressor which is Sirius based, and Andy at Stuart says no plans to, which seems a shqme.

I recently built the Sirius factory machined kit, Henletyissue,. Absolutely superb model.

bill

29/06/2021 12:32:44

Just click above and it will take you to it.

You can join immediately and post immediately.

bill

Edited By br on 29/06/2021 12:33:35

29/06/2021 11:30:02

He has tried sellig before and no go . Overpriced imho.

Also has the compressor / vacuum pump version with a cracked flywheel.

bill

Edited By br on 29/06/2021 11:31:23

29/06/2021 11:18:52

There are members with Jessie loco's on the MECH forum.

More likely to get help there as it is a larger locomotive based forum.

Reeves stopped doing them several years ago, but lots of common parts with Bridget.

bill

Edited By br on 29/06/2021 11:26:52

Thread: Fusible plug in a 5" gauge copper boiler?
28/06/2021 20:00:37

My last pro boiler came with one fitted, as Peter above.

I mentioned it was a first for me and was told it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bill

Thread: Easy Start
28/06/2021 18:49:22

IF you use “easy start” aka starting fluid, aka ether, plus some other common names, PROPERLY, it is very unlikely to harm an engine.

The proper method is that you use the absolute minimum amount necessary, and that you get any and every thing flammable away from the intake air location such as a wiping rag, and especially the can of starting fluid, and FOR DAMNED SURE your FACE.

A backfire is possible and quite common.

Typically a squirt of just one second is enough for a smaller engine, say up to two liters. A big engine four liters or more, maybe two seconds.

The engine should show definite signs of firing up with no more than this. If it almost runs, meaning it turns over a few times under its own power, you can use a LITTLE BIT MORE.

TOO MUCH can literally destroy an engine, but most of the time it only temporarily locks up the engine so that the starter won’t turn it over.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE IN THE AMOUNT YOU USE.

Many an engine has been severely damaged by using ether in attempting to start it. Sometimes such engines are beyond repair, especially if they are already old.

And ether might damage sensors and other components of some newer vehicles.

Don’t use it unless you NEED IT.

On the other hand, if you KNOW HOW to use it, meaning you have had some EXPERIENCE watching others and doing it yourself, it can be a miracle working tool, saving untold wear and tear on batteries and starters, and firing up old cold engines that CAN’T be started otherwise. This is especially true of OLD diesel engines that are badly worn, and if you destroy one that’s just about worn slam out anyway, it’s not such a big loss

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest