By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeremy Paduano

Here is a list of all the postings Jeremy Paduano has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can't get the hang of HSS!
19/07/2021 13:56:47

There is so much good information here - I'm going to put some stock in the lathe and work through everyone's advice and ideas teeth 2. Dave's comment about the lead screw is interesting - although I haven't managed to crash the saddle yet, the travel has always had a few very slight stalling points. Haven't had the time to work out if it is the travel itself or related to the hand wheel. Turning by hand has always been tricky to do smoothly, have put it down to a lack of practice so far...

Jerry.

14/07/2021 14:34:18

After an evening of experimentation, I've made some progress - definitely better than my earlier HSS attempt, but not there yet.

pxl_20210713_180416241 (002).jpg

I haven't tried increasing the feed rate yet - I've only got two choices, and changing means swapping over the gears each time. Something to try if 0.1mm / rev really is too slow. I've eased the tip of the knife in the photo, and tried it on the various diameters of brass you can see at a speed of 620 rpm, and with various cut depths, ending up at about 0.2mm as indicated on the handwheel. Adjusting the knife angle as Mick B1 mentions produced a slightly better finish, although I suspect I am not cutting deep enough yet to make this a significant factor. Maybe my next step should be to follow the poster from Steve's Workshop and try grinding my own. Need to get an india stone as well - this easing was done with a diamond credit card.

The sooner I get this sorted, the sooner I'll stop wearing my fingers out moving the belt every few minutes to try different speeds. This is where I really wish I'd got a variable speed machine!

13/07/2021 16:39:01

I think I've just got the answers to my 'what sort of radius' question! smiley

Lots to think about and try - I especially like the poster - pictures are always worth it.

I'll give it a go and let everyone know how I get on. Got a couple of HSS blanks, so can always start anew if I make a mess of the grinding.

Thanks everyone - great to know everyone is so friendly and helpful.

13/07/2021 16:31:45

Thanks Martin - what sort of radius? I can just ease the point with a diamond credit card-style stone, or put a slightly bigger turn on the tip using a bench grinder. If I know what I'm aiming at, I can try it tonight.

13/07/2021 16:16:36

Hi everyone,

Here's the HSS knife I've tried - I've also included the neutral tool I had a go with briefly.

hss tools.jpg

The carbide tips are CCGT specifically for non-ferrous, and the brass is off-the-shelf stuff from metals4u.

13/07/2021 15:42:49

Hi everyone,

Another 'what am I doing wrong' question, I'm afraid.

Everything I read suggests that carbide tips are difficult to work with and HSS very forgiving. If that's right, why can I get the finish in photo A using carbide, and no matter what I try, get the result in photo B with HSS? I must be doing something very wrong indeed...

Photo A

photo a.jpg

Photo B

photo b.jpg

The lathe is a Warco WM240B - with belt drive. The stock is 20mm dia. brass, with about 2 inches out of the chuck. Carbide produces this finish on a first-pass at either 620 or 1,000 rpm. HSS makes the mess in photo B at all available speeds from 240 - 2,0000 rpm. The only thing I haven't tried is the lowest speed of 120 rpm. The HSS is a right-handed pre-ground knife straight out of the bag from Arc, and I've tried it square on to the stock and at slight angles - in both directions! Hand feeding or running off the gears at 0.1mm / rev creates the same result.

It's brass, a new knife - not home ground, The more I read, the more I think it should be a great finish and easy...obviously beyond me at present! sad

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful - and I could stop depleting the world supply of brass trying to get it right!

Thread: Engaging the leadscrew with the gears
12/06/2021 10:07:54

Thanks everyone. I think you all saw through my slightly garbled question 👍 and answered what I was actually talking about - using the lever to engage the half nuts. (It’s so much better when I know the right terminology to describe what I mean!) I now know that I can safely engage the lever with everything still running - result 😁

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully at some point in the future I’ll be able to contribute as well as ask questions.

Jerry P.

11/06/2021 18:32:47

Hi all,

More of a worry than a problem, but hopefully someone can advise.

I’m disconnecting the leadscrew from the spindle gears in order to stop the cut whilst the motor is still running - I’m also winding off the toolpost at the same time so that the cutter doesn’t just sit stationary against one spot. No issues so far, but before I start the next cutting pass I stop the lathe and re-engage the leadscrew when there is no rotation. This gives me a lot of stop/start on the motor and for the work as I let things get up to speed each time.

My question is - am I being overly cautious only meshing the teeth on the leadscrew with the saddle gear when it’s all stationary?

Hopefully someone will be able to say “don’t be daft, just get on with it, otherwise you’ll take all day to cut anything”, but until I’m sure…

The lathe is a Warco WM240B - the version with the belt drive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - thanks even more if you know the answer!

😊

Thread: Complete novice in Hampshire
02/06/2021 08:50:04

Wow Howard! Thanks for all the advice 😁. I’ve got Sparey’s book, and a set of tables, but not come across “The Amateur’s Workshop “. Everyone says HSS tooling is easier to use, so I’m keen to learn how to grind cutters on my bench grinder - although I’ve started by buying some already made from Arceurotrade. I’m expecting more to go into the bin than make it through to a finished exercise initially, so will be starting very throwaway 👍 Definitely baby steps…Got a week off at the moment, so am simply making swarf out of steel and brass to begin to understand how speeds and feeds effect the result. At some point the tools will need repointing on the grinder - the first opportunity to start learning that.

Take care all, off for my second jab in a few minutes 😁

25/05/2021 08:45:32

Thanks everyone, it's great to see such a friendly forum.

Geoff - many thanks for letting me know. I'm at the other end of Hampshire, quite literally a few hundred yards from West Sussex at the back of Emsworth, so a good few miles away. It's good to know there's people not that far away...

Got the bank holiday week off and not going anywhere...wonder what I'll do...teeth 2

22/05/2021 07:19:19

Morning everyone.

Thought I’d say hi and make my wholly inexperienced presence known to the world of home engineering. 😁

With no background in engineering or machining, I’ve arrived at this point through a lifetime of interest in machinery and engines that started with motorcycles and became a general fascination with all things metal.

I’ve just installed a Warco WM240B lathe - manual feed and belt drive - and a Warco WM12 milling machine in the workshop/garage. All I’ve got to do now is learn to use them properly…which is where all the information and advice throughout this website will come in very handy.

Here goes on a new adventure. They say you should never stop learning - at least that’s my excuse when the credit card bill arrives 😉

Take care everyone, don’t let some fast-spinning lump of metal or Covid get you.

JerryP.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest