By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave S

Here is a list of all the postings Dave S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: J & S surface grinder - refurbishment
26/01/2022 21:28:00

I seem to remember thinking along the lines of that’s a really long edge to get a good seal on, bet there’s a bolt there somewhere… Of course when the cross feed is in pieces it’s a pita to wind it out, but unless you do it’s even more impossible to get to.

Dave

26/01/2022 20:39:43

Just checked. There is an extra bolt in the middle at the bottom.

You can see it in this pic:

bd6bc62e-855e-4c06-b7c3-87b0fa5ad338.jpeg

It’s accessible if you wind the cross feed all the way out.

879ea41d-9dd5-418b-bb34-a0641e092266.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thread: Making a series of small aluminium cones
26/01/2022 16:59:01

For something that small I would use a form tool.

Drill the end then use form tool. If you make it so the thick end has an extra stick out it will make the stock for parting at the same time

Dave

25/01/2022 20:25:18

I’ve not made it out there yet, shopping hiccup means I’m at rugby training with no2 daughter.
had a poke about for photos on my phone - often take them to aid my reassembly of things.
This is the only one I have with the cover off:

66e71552-01da-4e6b-a233-9cbacca8ba2f.jpeg

I think there was something non obvious, but it’s 2 years ago… The photo does show how much of the mechanism I removed though, which may help?

With luck I’ll get back in time to have a look, will certainly try to this week.

Dave

Thread: Cast Iron C section
24/01/2022 20:26:03

Being a bit of a hoarder I have a good stash of acquired materials.

I have this section of Cast Iron, not sure where it came from:

ec958905-e034-45f0-a63c-4cf47340c5fe.jpeg

So I know it’s possible to get C section. This piece is 100x35mm but I would like a piece 125 or 150 wide and about the same 35mm deep. Need something like 300-500mm length.

A bit of a poke around has not found a supplier. Anyone got any suggestions where I might find some?

Dave

24/01/2022 20:15:16

It’s been a while, but I think mine was held on by 4 bolts and and a gasket, but maybe there was a couple of hidden nuts up in the back.
If your not in a hurry I can go look tomorrow.
I did have all the cross feed handle bits out of the way, but it looks like you have done that.

Thread: Mach3 control loosing zero
22/01/2022 17:26:56

My little CNC is quite sensitive to slide lube. It could do with higher voltage drivers / more powerful steppers, but instead I’m building a new one…

13 years of is long enough for oil to congeal in the inner workings. I can remember if they are ball screw, but the nuts on it could probably do with cleaning and lubing

Dave

22/01/2022 17:09:06

Have you cleaned, lubed and setup the gibs/ slide ways?
Sounds like sticking slides

Thread: J&S 540 Hydraulics
22/01/2022 17:05:51

Iirc it’s 32 weight hydraulic oil. Think I put Castrol Magna SW 32 in mine.

Which lever is giving you trouble?

Dave

Thread: Fabricating a Weber Carburettor Manifold Flange
22/01/2022 12:52:58

Low 12s is low 12 second runs on a 1/4 mile drag strip most likely.

The turbo metro hif44 was sealed and run blow through.

Long time since I tinkered with Minis, but Vizard had a lot to say about suck vs blow IIRC

Dave

Thread: How can I bond ABS (plastic) to NRL (rubber)?
21/01/2022 19:08:55

If the adhesive technical team don’t have a suggestion that is a good clue that you have the wrong materials (or design - but since the design is secret I’ll go with materials).

If you have to use ABS because you already made those parts then find a flexible alternative that you can stick.

Peel is a problem for glues. Most adhesive structures avoid it, or use mechanical fixings to prevent the peeling starting.

Assumkng you 3D printed in ABS the it’s only cost to get 3D prints in a more suitable plastic. Sometime you have to let go of the money already spent to actually make progress toward the end goal. (Easy for me to say, I have no financial or emotional investment in your thingy)

Thread: Welding cast iron vice
21/01/2022 18:30:28

Cosmetic filling? JB weld.

Structural filling? No idea, but maybe JB Weld again

Thread: How can I bond ABS (plastic) to NRL (rubber)?
21/01/2022 08:22:37

When hunting a Unicorn it is usually best to start with the Unicorn breeders

Henkel, Sika both have very helpful technical teams

Thread: EMCO Maximat Super 11 - Headstock & Gearbox Oil
18/01/2022 21:38:39

Hyspin 46 is just a quality 46 weight hydraulic oil.

Google for 46 weight hydraulic oil and many options appear.

If your concerned check it meets DIN 51524 Part 2 which is what Hyspin is specified as.

Something like this: 5l on amazon should be fine .

Dave

Thread: Need to cut long thin strips of steel (& plastic) - e.g. with an angle grinder?
18/01/2022 18:12:00

<popcorn>, <chair>, <beer>

Thread: Can you recommend a "medium-speed" epoxy adhesive? (e.g. "30 minute" or "60 minute")
18/01/2022 17:07:40

The benefits of free advice are that if it goes wrong the end user gets to keep all the broken bits…

Thread: 1st milling with the ZAY7045 Milling machine-Question
18/01/2022 17:06:18

The only machine I regularly use flood coolant on is the Surface Grinder.
On that it’s mostly about keeping the part at an even temperature and attempting to control the fine abrasive dust - by making it wet and heavy.

I do use flood occasionally on the lathe (CVA) but more often after a cut to cool the part for measurements rather than during - the spray tends to make a mess.

My mill (TOS FNK25) hasn’t had coolant in the sump since I bought it over a decade ago.
Most cuts are dry, tapping or drilling I might use a little oil from a can but it has power and rigidity to push carbide through most things when milling.

I’m going to add coolant to the little CNC, because unattended cutting of alloy has a tendency to weld onto the cutter and flood or air blast moves the chips away so should help with that. The CNC is built into an enclosure, so spreading mess isn’t a problem.

Dave

Thread: Running needle rollers between cast iron plates
17/01/2022 21:25:58
Posted by JohnF on 17/01/2022 21:07:14:

I have a Boxford T & C grinder that doubles as a surface grinder, the top table which is of course cast iron runs on linear needle roller bearings nested in plastic cages so its clear this type of bearing is well suited to use with cast iron --- deepening of course on the grade of the material.

See the link below for a photo -- I hope !

John

https://www.ntnglobal.com/en/products/rollingbearing/linear_motion.html

edit -- keep in mind the load on these bearings is low, they serve only to allow easy back and forth movement of the table.

Edited By JohnF on 17/01/2022 21:09:11

This is the sort of thing I was thinking about. I wonder how you figure out the allowable loading.

I'm considering way methods for a small CNC mill, rather than bolting on linear rails given my base is a surface plate could a bunch of rollers give satisfactory Y axis for the saddle? It can be 'gibbed' under the overhang with rollers, much like my CVA is.

Dave

17/01/2022 18:35:26

Bearing races and internals are generally hardened.

Any ideas on how long a needle bearing running cast iron races would last?

What failure mode should I expect?

Dave

Thread: Are standard "M4" nuts & bolts normally fine or course pitch?
14/01/2022 21:28:05

Six Old Horses

Cold And Hungry

Tan is the other one... (I'm sure there is a proper one for this)

Metric tap drills I use M number - pitch, then pick the closest I have available, being mindful of too small hole -> more likely to snap a tap, too large hole -> more likely to strip when tightened .

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate