By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jager

Here is a list of all the postings Jager has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: fitting wedge type qctp to Warco WM240
25/07/2020 18:19:37

Job done!

Bowed to superior knowledge and machined the boss off and made a new stud. Incidentally the old stud needed an inordinate amount of pressure to remove so I applied some heat and then pressed it out, I suspect there was some epoxy in there.

Thank you one and all.

23/07/2020 14:50:34
Posted by Donald Williamson on 23/07/2020 14:43:53:

Hi I to have a warco lathe which I have had for a few years prior to it I had a clark lathe and mill and i purchased a qctp for it, I to discovered your problem using it on the warco what I did was to bore the qctp to accommodate the boss on the top slide I also had to alter the 4 recesses to under the qctp to suit the locating pin, I hope this helps. My qctp was from arceurotrade.

Thanks for the response.

Is yours the piston, or wedge type? I have been advised there is insufficient meat in the wedge type to bore out for the boss. Was the qctp hardened and difficult to machine?

23/07/2020 12:09:55

Thank you gents for your observations which point me in the direction of machining off the boss and making a new stud. Due to my natural caution and inexperience in these matters I am still hesitant despite your various experiences. As your mods have been to larger machines I wonder if they have thicker castings.

I am now trying to find out if a piston type toolpost is capable of being machined out to allow me to retain the boss.

Again, many thanks for your input.

21/07/2020 12:03:16
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 21/07/2020 11:41:46:

Just machine the boss off the stud until it is below the top slide surface, why do you think doing this will weaken it? I have a WM 290V & when I fitted a wedge type tool post I actually made a new stud.

Tony

I feel the boss is part of the compound casting essential for the strength/integrity of the whole and machining it off would leave a very thin section for fitting the stud to.

21/07/2020 11:28:03

I did look at the possibility of using a packing piece but this would raise the new toolpost so much it would prevent me getting the too on centre.

21/07/2020 10:55:41

I want to fit a wedge type qctp to my Warco WM240.

The problem I have is that the existing toolpost stud is pressed into the slide top via a boss. This boss prevents a qctp from sitting down on the compound top and if I machine the boss off I fear that the remaining metal will be to weak.

An alternative would be to machine a recess in the qctp some 22mm dia x 22 deep.

As I have hesitated to buy a new toolpost and find t is no good I wonder if anyone here has done as I propose. Obvious questions are; is there enough meat in these wedge type toolposts and are they too hard to machine?

Thread: Harold Hall basic grinding rest
29/06/2020 13:26:26

I have been using nut inserts for two differing positions but I find at times when grinding four facet drill bits that whilst setting the jig for the first 2 facets with the table close to the wheel side, declined at 30 degrees, and then swinging the table to the 10 degree position to grind the second facets it is necessary to move the table back to clear the wheel.

At present I do this by using the rest adjustment on the angle base as it is not always possible to gain sufficient movement on the in-feed depending on the length of drill being not sufficient to hang it out.

It is for this reason I want a ready means of repositioning and the mag bases will give me an endless sufficiency. A number of lines scribed on the bench mounted plate will provide positioning guides whilst two mag bases each with a pull of 80 kg will prevent unwanted movement.

29/06/2020 09:06:41

Hi there David and Derek,

I have had no problems with the ball which I loctited to the bolt. It does need to be kranked pretty tight though between the countersunk clamp plates. If it eventually gives problems, which I somehow doubt, I will simply make either two sets of hinges disposed 90 degrees and capable of being adjusted by a long reach allen key or, if I ever get round to making a ball-turner, fit a purpose made Noga type adjustment as used on dial indicators.

Derek, may I ask the purpose of the vertical sliding mount?

Regards,

Jager

28/06/2020 21:04:20

Good Evening,

I made the simple rest some time ago and offer the following observations:

1. - Be sure to be accurate and precise in component fit.

2 - Use only good quality, tightly toleranced taps, dies and drills. Any thing less and you will have imprecise movements and backlash

3. - Fit an adjustable gibb in the in-feed dovetails.

4. - If you are left handed put the traverse locking screw on the left side.

5. - As I use the rest both in the front and at the side of the grinder I find relocating it a chore and often its position is just not quite right. I am overcoming this by fixing a mild steel plate to the bench, doing away with the rest hold- down fixings and fitting two magnetic clamps to the base.

6. - I find the adjustment of the drill sharpening jig backstop fussy, so have drilled and tapped an M5 hole through the vertical part of the drill backstop. It is located at the horizontal centreline of the backstop and level with the bottom of the vee groove. through this I have fitted a screwed rod with a 20mm dia x 5mm longbrass thumbscrew on each end. This enables precise longitudinal positioning of drills of varying length without recourse to fiddling (arnt I polite?) about with the backstop adjustment.

I had considered building the improved version of the rest but find my improvements work well and doubt if the posh version is any better, In some ways its' parallellogram adjustment is an unnecessary complication - but I stand to be corrected by my peers!

Thread: Sodium Nitrite
18/06/2020 20:14:05

Hi Gents,

I have just seen this thread and see the situation is now resolved. However it may be worth my noting that a good source of sensibly priced chemicals is available from:

apc pure, find them on line, 0161 351 9599

I use them for my salt bath annealer.

Thread: New member in the Scottish Borders
17/06/2020 10:16:08
Posted by Bo'sun on 17/06/2020 10:05:50:
Posted by David George 1 on 04/04/2020 07:15:27:

Hi Jager,

The left hand threading facility is just that you can cut a left hand thread by inserting an extra gear into the gear train, on the headstock, to make the leadscrew rotate in the opposite direction.

David

Hi,

I fully understand the principle of the extra gear and in fact the toolbox came with a nylon/plastic 40T gear on a short spindle identical to the idler at the spindle. This may or may not have a purpose and Warco hav'nt a clue and say, when challenged, the lathe is'nt capable of left hand threadcutting.

For myself I am unable to understand how or where a second idler can be inserted.

17/06/2020 09:46:49

Good morning Bo'sun,

I hope that if a few members here, discontented with Warcos' 'Take it or leave it' attitude regarding this serious fault, were to collectively bring pressure to bear they might just develop a conscience and give us what we have paid for.

So anyone with the same problem - please speak up!

Regarding oiling the leadshaft left hand bearing - I simply drilled a suitably sized hole and fixed a coverplate.

Take care, stay in touch, united we stand etc...

16/06/2020 23:25:56

Hi Bo'sun,

I've been busy of late but eventually chased up Warco regarding their advertising the WM240 lathe as capable of cutting left hand threads. Like you I found their response totally vague, nobody there knew how to do it, other than suggesting I put the cutting tool upside down and run in reverse. What idiots! I expressed my extreme dissatisfaction and requested this to be relayed to their MD as I felt I was due some recompense having been supplied with a machine not fit for my intended purpose.

When, after a reasonable wait, and no response forthcoming, I emailed the MD. A female director responded, apologising for THEIR ERROR and offering to take the machine back for a refund. Obviously, like many, I imagine on here I have spent much time and money improving the machine and receiving such a trite, parsimonious response leaves a bad taste as it should be obvious to anyone that accepting such an offer would leave me significantly out of pocket.

So now I'm scouring the web to pick the brains of anyone else who has been conned by Warco in the hope they have designed a solution - otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

04/04/2020 00:18:53

Good evening, or should it be good morning!

I'm Keith, long time retired and a dedicated potterer who decided to add a Warco WM240 to the box of handtools and try to develop new skills. Currently following beginners guides from Harold Hall & Tubal Cain, working my way through some tool-making, learning as I go.

Presently pondering what Warco mean when they describe my lathe as having a left hand threading 'FACILITY'. If ànyone has the answer it would be much appreciated.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest