By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jager

Here is a list of all the postings Jager has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling on a Lathe with a Vertical Slide
15/10/2021 18:13:31

Hi Bill,

Pleased to see you are getting there.

Don't forget you can also take the vice off and clamp your work directly to the slide. It's handy if you just need that little bit more room or your workpiece is an odd shape for holding in the vice.

David.

14/10/2021 18:19:00
Posted by William Harvey 1 on 14/10/2021 07:03:34:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 13/10/2021 22:45:56:
Posted by William Harvey 1 on 13/10/2021 19:13:03:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 13/10/2021 18:55:54:

So spend a few pence on allen head bolts, and file new T-nuts out of some stock.

Of course, that’s what I’ll do, but why would Soba supply bolts that don’t fit?

I am happy with measuring the Allen Bolts, but I have no idea how to measure and get the correct T nuts?

Have you considered turning the vice through 90° and putting the bolts through the slots provided on the outside edges?

I would measure the end of the T-slots. Probably with a rule, as the nuts don't need to be a machined sliding fit. Hacksaw and file job.

TBH I think the nuts and bolts supplied are designed for the slots 🤣

Bill, do as Nicholas suggests,, turn the vice 90 deg, make/get T-nuts to fit the slide and bolt through the two counterbored holes in the vice with allen bolts. This arrangement will allow you a good range of vertical travel by selecting an appropriate slot on the slide.

David

Thread: HELP needed
08/10/2021 10:15:31

Hi Steve,

I just make up a solution of a litre of warm water and put around half a cup of citric acid crystals. This is not aggressive, nor dangerous, like sulphuric.

Just keep an eye on your work, no sweat.

Thread: Milling on a Lathe with a Vertical Slide
23/09/2021 22:55:05

The SOBA vice in your link is the same as in Jasons pic. If you search Chronos for small milling vice for Myford you will get a choice of 4 pi x. On of them clearly shows the mounting holes in addition to the 4 edge notches. The only variant in Jasons pic is some nuts replacing the knurled end of the operating screw.

23/09/2021 20:14:30

Yes, as shown in Jasons post above.

David.

23/09/2021 10:57:47

Bill,

That vice in the pic will fit. The two bolt heads you see hold the vice on via t-nuts in the v. Slide slots. You also have a choice of slots which improves versatility.

David.

Thread: Workholding Problem
11/09/2021 20:59:50

I may well be misunderstanding the problem. If it is the length of the large diameter shown in the chuck you need to reduce could you machine a ring, close fitting on the castellated section and superglue it on. Hold this in the chuck to machine large diameter and its length. When done just apply a litte heat to seperate.

Thread: Pitch Circle
21/06/2021 19:05:40

Hi Roy,

When calling for holes on a pcd it is necessary to describe the hole and specify the pcd.

e.g. 4- holes 6mm dia on 24mm pcd.

I suspect something is missing from your drawing.

David.

21/06/2021 19:04:51

Hi Roy,

When calling for holes on a pcd it is necessary to describe the hole and specify the pcd.

e.g. 4- holes 6mm dia on 24mm pcd.

I suspect something is missing from your drawing.

David.

Thread: ME beam engine
13/03/2021 10:10:08

Michael, I apologise for my tardy response but this is my fourth attempt - each time I hit the button for ADD POSTING everything deletes.

I now have the castings and have begun work. Thus far I have machined the baseplate and the main column and all seem acceptable.

If you search on line BUILDING THE ME BEAM ENGINE you should find a vid by 'engineeringmodeller'. He has some good vid, lots of pics of his build and somewhere amongst his stuff is a narrative detailing errors he found in the drawings.

I hope this is of some help.

David

06/03/2021 16:55:20
Posted by JasonB on 06/03/2021 16:45:28:

No you would need a full digital subscription to ME rather than just paying the extra to include digital to your existing MEW print subs as you only get access to one mag's archive per digital subscrption.

Thanks.

06/03/2021 13:41:39

Thanks Jason,

Am I correct in thinking that a digital subscription to ME is what you mean? Or upping my paper subscription to MEW as your 4th para.?

David

06/03/2021 12:30:52

Gents,

Many thanks for your advice.

I have obtained a set of castings for the ME beam engine and realise a build guide would greatly assist me.

Is there a means to obtain the series if articles which were published in MEW, Ibelieve in 2019?

David.

04/03/2021 09:41:37

Bill & Jason,

Many thanks for your input.

I am convinced to go with Reeves.

Wish me luck!

David

03/03/2021 18:28:22

Good evening,

I am given to consideration to attempt building an ME beam engine and see that there are a number of firms producing casting kits. I am aware of Stuart Models producing a set of castings for a similar model, but find their prices would bring a tear to a glass eye.

I wonder if there are any members here who have recent experience of available kits and who are able to give constructive criticism of potential suppliers to help this rank amateur avoid making the wrong decision.

Thread: Free inserts.
12/12/2020 13:06:48

Yes please!

Dave

Thread: Miracles do happen
29/08/2020 17:27:31

Many years ago a neighbours young child decided to look at daddys watch, took it out into the garden and promptly lost it!

A search party was mustered all to no avail and the errant timepiece declared well and truly gone.

Many years passed until one day the same neighbour was turning a flower border when he unearthed the watch.

After washing it under the tap he gave it a qujck wind and a shake - to his surprise it still worked.

It says a lot for that Omega Seamaster.

Thread: epoxy resin preventing from sticking.
15/08/2020 13:37:46

I use DEVCON for bedding rifle actions into stocks. In order to ensure that I can get the two items apart after curing I first wipe the barreled action down with alcohol then brush all over with boot polish, leave 5 mins to harden, polish off and repeat. Never had a problem seperating two very expensive items.

Thread: warco 220 qctp
27/07/2020 12:59:14

Hi Dave,

Just seen your post. I fitted a qctp to my Warco WM240 this weekend. Let me know if I can be of help.

Thread: fitting wedge type qctp to Warco WM240
25/07/2020 18:19:37

Job done!

Bowed to superior knowledge and machined the boss off and made a new stud. Incidentally the old stud needed an inordinate amount of pressure to remove so I applied some heat and then pressed it out, I suspect there was some epoxy in there.

Thank you one and all.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest