By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Skidmore 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Skidmore 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: All things Beaver Mill
21/03/2021 08:35:34

Hi Mark, Thankyou for reply and pictures, obviously seems a bit of a week point on these mk1’s, pretty much same story with this one. I was lucky with feed box on this one apart from a sheared bolt on top of box with enough sticking up to get hold of to remove. I notice that on left end of lead screw there appears to be the internal part of a ball bearing, which may have been used as a spacer to pack out screw, or I wonder if may have been a bearing. The reason why I’m curious is that on mine the two lead screw carrier brackets are not the same, one has a recess on back, I assumed was to accommodate drive sleeve/gear when table fully wound over. But seeing the left hand end of your lead screw I wondered if it may have been a bearing pocket and that carrier bracket may have been on left side of table. In the past when end broke off lead screw I wondered weather things may have been swapped around for whatever reason just to get machine working again. So I’m interested to now if yours has recess on one of carrier brackets and if so which end of table it was fitted? On mine the left hand ball crank had been bored through and some material taken off of face next to dial so that a slim nut was fitted to adjust end float with two small radial thrust bearings either side of bracket. I’m sorting this machine out for a good friend off mine and have rebuilt head successfully, and this forum has been such a great help as no manual/parts books available for this model. If this was my machine I would probably consider a ball screw conversion and beef up end of leadscrew and thrust adjustment. I guess that’s why there where mk2’s and so forth. I own Bridgeport Witch I rebuilt some years ago and had collum,knee,saddle and table reground and scrapped by Braithwaite’s up in Yorkshire, which was worth every penny. 20 years ago. I must admit I like some aspects of this Beaver as so much more robust and rigid than the Bridgeport particularly the int 40 taper. Thanks for you prompt reply again Mark,
Best regards, Brian Skidmore

18/03/2021 21:29:16

Hi all! I’m refurbishing a beaver mk1 bvrp . I’m after some photos of leadscrew at nut end . The issue I have is at some time some one has fitted a piece of .500” stud into end of leadscrew presumably due to damage. I’m hopping to find out how the radial thrust bearings on leadscrew mounting on end of table are adjusted at ball crank in behind bracket. Ideally a photo of end of leadscrew on left underside of table showing arrangement at back of ball crank/leadscrew bracket would be ideal. I’m assuming there must have been a portion of larger diameter thread with couple of lock nuts on . Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Brian skidmore.

25/08/2020 07:47:19

Thank you Mark , just read your reply to Ian and was delighted that Your reply matched my findings exactly. I was wondering about the four grub screws on the to cover. I had assumed wrongly this had been a modification by someone to take up wear, but without to top cover having any dowl pins this would make sense. And as your comments suggest in my case I definitely found it beneficial to tweak them until quietest running achieved. and I would think any misalignment of dogs would result in rapid wear. I assumed the tappers dogs were to take up a certain amount of slack as wear takes place. From what I recal Ten years ago,my Bridgeport has a similar set up. As there are no manuals for the BVRP mk1 your comments are very reassuring to know.

13/06/2020 09:24:21

Hi Dave,

just seen four findings on striping the spindle on your beaver mk1 , . I can imagine very frustrating. But hopefully recoverable . I fitted new spindle bearings to the one I’m rebuilding for a friend and was lucky just a bit of fretting on bearing spacers where the top lock nut had also been loose at some point , I cleaned them up on my 540 J&S , I don’t yet have a rotary grinding fixture so had to do them linear ,gave them a very light clean up Together , I fitted new bearings of type mentioned on this forum and so far have been very pleased with result . Regarding belt box bearings and lack of thrust control spacer, I ended up making one as I came to the conclusion that there must have been one originally and also made a much more beefier lock nut fitted with Soft pads under grubs screw to prevent loosening and Damage to thread on pulley shaft. Found issue with bull gear not coming into full mesh with pinion witch judging by wear patern on teeth had probably been run for some time in this condition and making back gear quite noisey. This issue was solved by use of shims on pulley shaft to change alignment and also increasing depth of dimple that detent ball locates in on sliding bull gear.(I found considerable wear on dimple allowing gear to float and not positively hold in position by detent ball) after this was sorted bull gear now locates in full mesh and now runs considerably quieter especially at higher rpm or back gear.If your machine is noisy , I would advised checking the bull gear is in full mesh.i could imagine this could be an issue on these BVRP mk1’s. hope you manage to work around issues you have found Dave.

ps any luck finding any literature or parts diagrams on these mk1’s?

best regards,Brian.

16/04/2020 07:37:17

Hi my Name is Brian Skidmore, I have a question about a VBRP mk1 Beaver turret mill I’m rebuilding head on for a friend. Have already found this forum very useful source of info regarding spindle bearings ect. My question is about belt box , there are two angular contact bearings that the front pulley runs on , I have made a new dog clutch shaft that engages back gear . And on this machine there is no spacer to control preload on angular contact bearings. I have made a new nut with locking system to control and set preload but am now wondering weather or not there may have been a spacer between these bearings, the machine has undoubtedly been apart in past and I wonder weather it may have been left out. I’m hoping one of mbrs of this forum may have had experience of this part of machine , as you are probably aware there are now parts diagrams of mk 1 .
looking forward to hearing any reply’s . Many thanks , Brian.

Thread: New member Cornwall
28/03/2020 19:50:51

Thank you for the warm welcome , I’m looking forward to being part of this online community and hopefully getting to grips with using the forum , hopefully I won’t make to many mistakes, i,t doesn’t come so easy to me, but worth the effort . Certainly very strange times at moment and yes indeed I have been self isolating in workshop, “ my happy place” . As long as I get diy done first to keep wife happy .

28/03/2020 08:59:04

Hi there, my names Brian and I thought it was about time that I introduced my self on forum . I’ve been looking at forum on and off for a few years now with great interest. Lately articles on Beaver milling machines as I’m currently rebuilding the head of a mk1 VBRP . My trade is motors mechanics . I’ve spent last 30+ years Woking as a roadside technician. My hobbies are renovating old engineering machinery and using it to build a 4” scale Burrell traction engine. Also repair and restoration of vintage motor vehicles. As far as machinists skills I’m mostly self taught, apart from school back in the 70’s when they still had extensive metal-workshops. And having some very good retired engineer friends who have been a great help over years when I’ve had more challenging projects on go. I’m keen to share my experiences and ask questions on various projects as they come up.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest