By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Me.

Here is a list of all the postings Me. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chuck back plate blank
22/02/2021 15:53:50

Hi - I'm pretty good at cutting tapers now having been "thrown" in at the deep end if you like with my Herbert Tapered Milling machine.

Setting up for the taper is the easy bit - the boredom of removing the metal is the hardest part to endure.

Theres plenty of "how too" videos on Youtube and believe me Ive watched them all...... Yawn.....

I am constantly on Ebay always looking - Plenty of L0 and L1 but the baby is proving harder to source.

22/02/2021 08:48:21

I looked everywhere on the Ebay and came up with the nothing like that - that is exactly what I'm after.

I'll send them a message now. When you search there own web site it doesn't come up.... maybe it's me.

I'm not fussed if it was an unfinished project, a casting, billet or a finished article - I just wanted a L00 backplate.

21/02/2021 16:45:38
Posted by JasonB on 21/02/2021 16:13:14:

Rotagrip do them though not cheap

Exactly what I want to make my own - .....

I think the RDG ones are too small for the L00 taper - unless i'm looking at the wrong thing.

21/02/2021 15:49:44

Anyone know where I can get a blank to make a backplate for my chuck, its to suit a L00 taper - Harrison 140.

Seems to be a serious lack of L00 taper backplates.

Thread: Confused ....Advice needed rotary table vs dividing head
19/02/2021 15:32:19

as the upper.

Apologies for the poor photos and fingers crossed I've got the sums right. (Maths isn't my strong point.)

Dave

Well I think that just about puts that to bed - and as for the above comment - you could have fooled me.... LOL

I thank everyone for their contribution to this thread - I'm sure somewhere along the way I sort of got an answer to my question. I think the answer was - sell the Mill and buy a puppy much less to worry about.

18/02/2021 08:39:27

PS - I do know why but when someone that doesn't know what the picture is of, then it does confuse very quickly.

18/02/2021 08:33:24

Is it just me (as in Me) - why when you look at this picture the line a 12 o'clock is straight up and down but when you turn the picture through 45 degrees the new 12 o'clock line is not.....

Have I discovered a floor in the dividing disc design or is it just an Illusion....... Spooky....

And also - why the line at the 6 o'clock position has half the amount of holes when you look at the picture as posted - Anyone have Pythagoras's phone number I think hes missed a trick with this.

18/02/2021 08:23:04

Phew - thanks for that.

I'm never going to be sure I will ever have to rotate my table/Head....(when i get one) by 5.29 degrees, but when I do I will know how to work out which plate hole combo I will need to use.

17/02/2021 10:35:27

I was sure it was 42 - now I'm not.....

17/02/2021 10:12:09

cool......

Edited By Me. on 17/02/2021 10:36:02

16/02/2021 15:53:30

Thanks Andrew - I should have said at the very beginning my aim is to make lots of ...... swarf ...... ! and just have fun trying different things - no real objectives just trying to get the things I need to progress.

I think I have decided on the SOBA 6" table with extra plates - I think this will suit my basic needs for now.

Let the Swarf making begin.....

16/02/2021 14:32:41

Its the answer "42"

cool

Edited By Me. on 16/02/2021 14:34:02

16/02/2021 12:22:05

So - if I'm reading this correctly - a plank of wood and a sharp nail will do If I draw a straight line between 3 points and divided the 1st number i thought of by the square route of Pi..... or would a rotary dividing plate table be the answer to my original question....

Thanks for all the input - I'm sure my question got answered.

KTF

15/02/2021 15:43:23
Posted by Matt Harrington on 15/02/2021 15:33:54:

Having had to help a friend recently with the same dilema, I can recommend a Soba HV4 (or HV6) and then you have the option of buying their dividing conversion set (which is not that expensive)

Matt

Thanks - This Newbie always likes the gentle replies.

15/02/2021 10:31:03

As it was "I" that started this thread with the now "banned" snappy title of "Confused DOT com, whats the difference between."...... I must apologies profusely for my shameful woful excuse of a title.

I will have to think of less intriguing titles for my threads.

Science is a wonderful thing - some claims have more fact that fiction - scientific theories claimed by the uninformed are sometimes false..... IYKWIM.

For those interested - I am looking for a rotary table - it seems to be the best beginner option.

15/02/2021 08:51:11
Posted by Frances IoM on 14/02/2021 16:03:27:
can some mod please change the title to something relevant that will aid future searches - quite why we are seeing such a plethora of weird titles defeats me unless Covid has unknown side effects

Edited By Frances IoM on 14/02/2021 16:03:47

It has been scientifically proven that the more obscure a thread title the more views it will get -- curiosity is a wonderful thing.

It made you look ......wink

14/02/2021 19:30:36
Posted by old mart on 14/02/2021 18:13:12:

If you want to choose between one or the other, the rotary table can be set at any angle, but a dividing head cannot. The rotary table is more versatile, so make that your first choice.

Thanks everyone for the complete and comprehensive replies - I will look out for a rotary table that will work with my Mill.

Sorry about the original title - I didn't realise it would make things confusing for others.

14/02/2021 14:17:11

Is a rotary table the same as a dividing head - can a rotary table be converted to be used as a dividing head, and if so is just a case of getting the plates.

Thread: One place for all ???
12/02/2021 09:09:25

I don't think its that, as the next supplier I try does stock that item - for example I need a arbor for a boring head - it has the 1 1/2 x 18TPI thread - a common boring head i suspect - mine came with a MT2 (tang) arbor I want to use a ISO/BT 30 arbor. One supplier sells the arbor the other doesn't. They have all the other types including the boring head but don't supply all the different arbors to suit. They do sell a whole new item - boring head and INT 30 arbor but not separately.

I just thought someone might know of a tool supplier that held a larger stock base.

Edited By Me. on 12/02/2021 09:12:09

12/02/2021 08:32:06

Thanks for all the replies - unfortunately no ME clubs where i am to join or rummage unused tools.

Ive tried Arc and RDG and unfortunately they don't hold (ALL) the items in stock - either they will have 3 or 4 things and then the other 5 items I need are not stocked by them, so I will try the other and they might have 6 out of the 10, but not the same cross over of parts.

I must have spent £70 on postage in the past 2 months getting what I need from 4 or 5 different suppliers.

I'm not sure if it is a supply stock issue as it seems when I enquire if they stock the part ive had replies of - "no, sorry don't stock those" or "very little demand for those so we don't stock".

Ebay is not that easy to get the tools either - most searches turn up with re-sellers sites, who don't actually stock the part they just buy it from the supplier when you place the order, or China based sellers or worst of all UK, based tool agents with in my opinion way over priced second hand items.

Ive not been into this for long but i quickly realised that old tooling is just that - old and worn, with all the will in the world a 50 year old lathe chuck will have been used - A LOT - so why sell them for the same price as you can get and new one.

I'm sure there are some low use items which would be worth taking a punt on but they are few and far between.

Rant over - Thanks wink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest