By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ALLAN QURASHI

Here is a list of all the postings ALLAN QURASHI has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ML10 Headstock mounts
16/10/2021 19:20:42

Hmm, adding pictures was torturous enough, but trying to get rid of a duplicated post is so far impossible. I've tried edit post > click on pictures > scissors > save changes....did nothing. Tried again using the eraser icon, still no luck. I'm even more convinced I should stay well away from going CNC.

So sorry folks; duplicate sets of pics is set to stay.

16/10/2021 19:08:16

Forgot to include top face of bed too, plus headstock faying surfaces for absolute cleanliness. And remember to align the pulleys and leadscrew drivetrain....but you probably know that, so I'll leave you in peace. Good luck.

16/10/2021 19:03:57

ml10 parts list for headstock mount.jpgml10 headstock clamp drg.jpg

16/10/2021 18:56:47

ml10 parts list for headstock mount.jpgml10 headstock clamp drg.jpg

16/10/2021 18:35:36

Hi Ethan,

Just eyeballed drawing 11690 that I have for my ML10 and it sounds like you'll need item 43 (clamp) Part number A6491/1 plus item 45 ( adjusting screw ) Part number A6492. The bolt you seem to have been left with is item 44 and is 5/16th BSF x 1.5" long.

Probably best to email Myford, as it may be something they'll have kicking about, but not advertized as so rarely requested.....I guess. But if not, it's simple enough to make....you just have to make sure there's no debris under the front bevel of the bed, which is the clamping reference face. And of course do the checks noted by Howard. I'll try and add a picture of the drawing section.....when I work out how.

Regards, Allan

Thread: Custom Thread Sizes
06/08/2021 14:35:45

Thanks for the advice everyone. It gives me wider options to consider. I'd like to go for a LH thread so direction of travel matches my Myford ML10. Not for fussiness, but so my inherent forgetfulness doesn't cause a whoopsie!

I have seen leadscrews and nuts for sale, thanks Colin, but only metric in the UK. Seems like if we want to stick with imperial, it might pay to live in the USA.

I'm thinking an ACME die might be heavy going, especially over the length of a leadscrew, but NDIY's idea for roughing the worst out by single pointing seems a good idea.

ega, your right about a travelling steady, especially on a twangy 1ft length of mere 1/2" dia, and worse still if cutting an acme thread I suspect. I was going to try and make one, but hopefully will be getting a real one soon.

Pete & Old Mart, thanks for confirming 1/2" x 10 TPI isn't a no-no.

I'm thinking pitch directly governs thread depth, and; OD (major dia) along with pitch, determines helix angle, (which is accomodated for on cutter relief) and apart from that, I'm inspired by Old Mart's comment 'they can be whatever you like' ( within physical limits of course).

Thanks all. Just got to work on my threads not ending up looking like a round wood rasp next!

Thread: Finally
05/08/2021 11:09:37

Morning Noel, and thanks for the welcome. I do see plenty of knowledge being shared on here, so have posted a query about custom thread sizes, which will hopefully stop me doing something which perhaps won't work.

Thread: Custom Thread Sizes
05/08/2021 01:18:44

I'm new to single point thread cutting, and dropped myself in at the deep end on my first ever thread; making a 2" and a bit diameter x very fine thread securing nut for an unknown brand of 60 year old pressure regulator which didn't fit any pitch or diameter standards. But it worked....it only had to tighten up and not strip, so not much to ask.

I've since practiced a few male threads sizes on a bit of 1 1/8" dia bar (on sections which would be swarf anyway on reduction down to required dimensions), so have had a little bit of 'free' practice.

But I want to make a replacement leadscrew for a lovely little Rollo Elf roundbed lathe because its current one is 1/2" x 12 TPI, BSW which means 83 and a third thou per turn...Yuk. Can't really go bigger than 1/2" dia, so I was thinking 10 TPI would be nice....so I can make a 100 division resettable dial for it.

The thing is I can't find any thread standard with this combination. I found this very helpful chart online https://www.haguefasteners.co.uk/guide-screw-threads-fastener-data-pdf/ and the 10 TPI offerings are only on 3/4" diameter and up.

So my puzzlement is whether there's any must-have limits relating to OD, threadform, and TPI? Obviously the helix angle gets silly if choosing low TPI on small diameters, but I was hoping to use a 60 degree thread, get the threadform right so male & female fit well, so I can make the leadscrew a couple of inches overlength for an off-cut to make & harden a tap for the carriage nut. But I'm thinking if there is no 1/2" x 10 TPI combination already in existance.....maybe there's good reason why not !

Any ideas anyone please?

Thread: Finally
05/08/2021 00:01:14

Hi All, I joined about a year ago, but having a bad memory ( result of a bike accident in the mid 1990's) ) ...I forgot all about it. So just thought I'd introduce my self.

I'm a recently retired aircraft maintenance engineer, and have owned a Hobbymat lathe, and a Myford VMB since mid 80's, but never really had the time or room to build up a workshop....Huh, still don't due to all the DIY I've been putting off. Swapped the Hobbymat for an ML10 Speed, long bed and am appreciating the upgrade. I like to make useful things from scrap, and volunteer at a Charity called Workaid.org, in the machine tools sectionwhere there's lots of scrap and lots of parts to be made. Happy days!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest