By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New member in the Scottish Borders
05/04/2020 13:11:57

Hi Jager,

I'm not sure Warco know how to do it. I asked, and got a somewhat vague answer about swapping some gears to reverse the leadscrew. I don't think it even says anything in the manual. Not that it's the most informative manual anyway.

Check that you have enough change gears. The "toolbox list" says 10, although you only get 7. Warco say that's correct because it's a generic manual. However, I went through the change gear chart and find that I'm 3 change gears short. If my maths is correct, there should be 10 change gears (not 7). I've yet to take this up with Warco..

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
03/04/2020 12:37:46

Plus!!! No more football on the radio, or blabbering commentators just about to orgasm.

Thread: Counterboring tools?
02/04/2020 09:21:51

It's not the "size" of the counterbore, but the (what I consider to be) oversized holes. Yes, if you're making two mating parts in different locations, the extra clearance could be of benefit. But when you have the opportunity to "spot through" to locate the mating holes, quite accurately, the oversized holes can be a nuisance.

02/04/2020 08:19:55

Good morning all,

The reason for this post was that many of the commercially available counterbore sets have larger holes than I would like. A point that some of the posts has eluded to.

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Bo'sun

01/04/2020 20:03:24
Posted by Martin Connelly on 01/04/2020 19:09:12:

Mick, I think 180 is finger trouble and Bo'sun meant 118 degrees..

Martin C

Thank you Martin,

Yes, my poor tryping. I meant 118deg,

01/04/2020 18:49:20

Clearly, proprietary (with a pilot) counterbore cutters are the way to go, and flat bottomed drills are an alternative to finishing the base of the pocket. But are they're any disadvantages to using a conventional 180deg. drill to finish the pocket? Other than needing a deeper pocket to get the cap screw head below the surface?

Thread: Chester lathe as my new lathe anyone
01/04/2020 17:04:20

My Warco WM240 lathe has a damaged bed due to the fixed steady working loose in transit and wearing a hollow. No problem from Warco replacing the machine. The problem is they are "out of stock". Just when I could do with something to occupy the time.

Thread: Agent million considered essantial travel by N S & I.
01/04/2020 15:44:28

Unless your just pure lucky, the amount you have invested must have some effect. PB's might not be a good financial investment (unless you're lucky), but at least you don't have to keep buying a ticket like the lottery.

Thread: Mystery Sandvik inserts
01/04/2020 15:38:09

Hi om,

My best guess would be industrial/production broaching inserts.

Thread: Lathe
31/03/2020 10:59:27

If it's any help. my WM240 came set-up with 90T, 90T, 80T, 33T & 25T (+ 2x40T fixed) change gears for fine feed. I didn't know the WM240B came with a 3-way gear change.

31/03/2020 10:29:38

Hi Ronen,

The original setting is probably the one for "fine feed". Likely shown in the manual, or on a plate on the front of the machine.

Thread: Box-Ford travelling steady
31/03/2020 09:25:42

Using a dowel and/or piece of paper as suggested is much easier than thread gauges on an internal thread.

Thread: Lathe
31/03/2020 09:04:54

Too much tool overhang maybe?

31/03/2020 08:17:25

What tooling are you using. HSS or carbide tipped tooling? Positive or negative top rake? I've seen negative top rake cause this before, especially if you have a longish workpiece unsupported by the tailstock. Some refer to it as "springback".

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 14:49:51

Interesting! More details please.

Thread: Machine feet/mounts?
27/03/2020 12:42:16

Thanks Nick,

A previous post commented on the yellow mounts and why the high cost? I wondered that too. It does say they're "shockproof". I guess that's the reason.

27/03/2020 10:15:30
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 26/03/2020 18:20:44:

Hi, a selection of three types at Warco machine mounts

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 26/03/2020 18:21:04

Thanks Nick,

The fixed ones look like they will be OK, and not too pricey. Although I'm wary of the pivoting ones, as it looks like a ball ended stud just popped into the plastic foot. Mind you, most of the pivoting ones out there look similar.

Thread: Any ideas please
26/03/2020 17:43:09

Not sure old innertubes are the best bet as they are curved and difficult to get to lay flat. However, as someone else has said, agricultural tubes. You'll get bigger pieces from them. A tube from an 18.4x38 tyre might be a good bet.

Thread: Machine feet/mounts?
26/03/2020 15:46:49

Good afternoon,

Does anyone know a good source for machine feet/mounts? I've tried Ebay without much success. Could be I'm using the wrong search criteria.

12mm stud, 500Kg static load, adjustable and fixed.

I need them for my lathe that is going to sit on a rough concrete garage floor. The static load is way higher than required for the weight of the lathe, but seems to be about right for a 12mm stud on some that I've seen.

The stand has 4 mounting points in each cabinet, so I'm guessing I'll need to get 8 to prevent sagging.

Thread: Spur gears
25/03/2020 11:18:50

I guess that depends on what you want them for. If it's custom made gears, any respectable toolroom should be able to help (or point you in the right direction), but they're not going to be inexpensive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest