By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sheet metal saw.
31/08/2021 21:58:14
Posted by Pete. on 31/08/2021 18:30:19:

I'd use a 32tpi blade for sheet metal.

Agree, but at present 24tpi is the best I can do.

31/08/2021 17:29:25

John,

I'll try that, hoping I can keep the sheet held down sufficiently.

Nick,

Would need to borrow a jigsaw.

Jason,

It may come to that. I was just hoping for something a little less frantic.

31/08/2021 17:03:25

Hi All,

I need to cut some 0.9mm mild steel sheet. I don't have access to a guillotine and don't fancy using tin snips, especially as I want to keep it flat.

I've borrowed a "Shetack" sheet metal saw that takes a 12" blade. However, anything past half a turn of tension on the wing nut, causes the saw plate to bend.

Is there a secret to tensioning the blade, or do I need a special blade? I'm currently using it with an "Eclipse Plus 30 flexible bi-metallic HSS" 24tpi blade.

Thread: setting up boring head
27/08/2021 12:17:45

Time to sell the lathe?

Thread: Dickson tool post
25/08/2021 10:07:09

Had the same on the Warco Dickson style QCTP bought with my WM240.

I fixed it by fixing some thin strips of shim stock (0.30mm if I recall) in the slots of the offending tool holders to increase the tongue (for want of a better word) thickness.

I used an Araldite adhesive for metal. Make sure surfaces are clean and abraded. Not sure how permanent it will be, but all (3 out of 12) still OK after 12 months.

Hope it makes sense?

Thread: The "Lost art of hardening copper"
20/08/2021 09:19:58

Some years ago, on a trip to Egypt, we were told that Egyptian craftsmen used copper for carving rock ( including granite apparently). It seemed a bit far fetched, but might this have been how they managed it? There seems little information out there about how the ancients were able to manipulate rock, so precisely and so much of it.

Thread: Consequences of Machining Cast Iron
13/08/2021 11:08:35

Another vote for Oxalic Acid. Used to work in a foundry, and despite how well it was filtered and scrubbed, cast iron dust escaped into the atmosphere and onto peoples cars. At the time, Oxalic Acid (bought in crystal form) was the go to product.

Thread: Warco wm250v
06/08/2021 12:15:42

Agree with oldvelo. While not the same machine, mine was the WM250, a new potentiometer (fortunately under warranty) fixed the problem.

I was told to turn down the potentiometer before switching off. A bit of a pain every time, but maybe this is a cause of premature wear in the track?

Thread: Help with surface plates in Derby
28/07/2021 07:59:24
Posted by Howard Lewis on 27/07/2021 18:21:59:

There is a sequence for lapping a surface plate absolutely flat, but involves lapping two others together and using the result to lap the final one.

If I remember correctly, I think the procedure might have been down to Mr Whitworth,

Thread: Hydrogen
23/07/2021 17:01:03
Posted by mgnbuk on 23/07/2021 12:07:34:

One of the car magazines (Car IIRC) ran a comparison test recently using an current IC car & the equivalent BEV from 3 manufacturers - in all cases the total cost of ownership of the electric version was higher than the IC version. Considerably higher in some cases.

Heard exactly the same some years ago when the Toyota Prius burst onto the scene. From the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) if I remember rightly.

As a small island on a vast planet, we're not going to save it until the big players come to the party. Too many politicians ticking green boxes and companies wanting to "cash in" on peoples consciences if you ask me.

23/07/2021 11:19:12

While nothing to do with hydrogen powered vehicles, although I 'm sure the arguments are valid.

I'm not convinced this electric vehicle lark has been thought out properly. Just a couple of examples: My Father lives in a col-de-sac on a green. Is he expected to trail an extension lead across the path and green to charge his car? In 2030 we come home from work at 5 o'clock and plug-in our cars (because we're s**t scared of not having enough charge) and then the lights go out.

Thread: Warco WM180
22/07/2021 17:07:56
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/07/2021 13:52:35:

Bosun probably demonstrates a logic error too. He assumes lathes are mis-advertised because his particular machine happens not to meet meet the spec. Given there are thousands of the breed about, it's more likely that Bosun's individual machine is wonky than a reputable UK seller is misleading everyone. Don't assume all Vauxhall Corsas are rubbish because mine got a puncture!

Dave

Sorry Dave, but if it doesn't meet the specification advertised, then something is clearly amiss. Especially when told by the supplier that the machine is unlikely to meet the published specification anyway. I'm not entirely convinced that an "individual machine is wonky", when due to other problems, this is the third machine I've had from Warco, and they all exhibit the same issue. A dodgy batch maybe, who knows?

Plus, the Corsa and the puncture is not a good analogy. A puncture is out of the control of the manufacturer/supplier.

22/07/2021 12:02:30
Posted by JasonB on 22/07/2021 11:16:04:

Bo'sun, what speed range have you got it in as you will only get the minimum 30rpm in the low range.

The drive belt is in low range. When questioning Warco about it, I was told it's unlikely to go down to 30 rpm. If that's the case, then why advertise it as such? It's not been a huge problem, but that's not the point. I can, with a bit of dexterity, nudge it down to just over 80 rpm, but it's not happy.

22/07/2021 10:53:47
Posted by Mick B1 on 22/07/2021 10:42:56:
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 22/07/2021 09:49:36:

Unadvertised engineering changes seem to me a far more likely explanation.

Yeah, just like advertising a minimum speed of 30 rpm, when I can barely get below 100 rpm.

22/07/2021 09:35:37

Seems there are some variations with Warco machines. My WM250 stops when the speed control is turned fully ACW. I was informed to stop and start the lathe with the speed control at zero. The motor is brushless.

Thread: Hit and miss engine
16/07/2021 16:58:20

Hello Michael,

Have a look at Andrew Whale's You tube channel "Learning Turning Metal". He's built two (just finishing the second) including the Jerry Howell's Farm Boy engine mentioned by Jason.

Good luck!

Thread: Lifting an SX2P Mill
15/07/2021 18:10:41

Hi Cliff,

It just goes to show that the Egyptians weren't that clever after all. Glad it worked out OK for you.

Thread: Lathe cover
14/07/2021 14:03:04

Another vote for a dehumidifier. A desiccant type would be my choice rather than a refrigerant type, because they tend to perform better at lower temperatures. A permanent drain if you can, and keep the doors shut or you'll be dehumidifying the world.

Thread: Hi Everyone, finally introducing myself
09/07/2021 14:33:25

Welcome to the forum Jason,

Spent some time myself at RAF Spadeadam setting fire to things at QuinetiQ Odd place.

Thread: First model for a complete beginner
09/07/2021 09:51:37

Hi Matthew,

The T. E. Haynes "Hot Air (Stirling) Engine" or "Steam Engine & boiler" might be two engines worth considering. I've made both, and quite achievable with a lathe, a milling slide, a pillar drill and some silver soldering equipment.

While the HAE requires a cast base, I just fabricated it from aluminium plate and a couple of blocks dowelled and screwed together.

The only obstacle might be getting hold of the books. For whatever reason, they tend to be a little pricey.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate