By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Anyone intersted?
29/09/2021 11:34:56

Good morning Brian,

The burner is indeed a meths burner. A tin plate tank (2.5"x 2"x1" connected to a long (3"x1"x3/16" wick holder with a piece of 3"x1" Valor Oil Stove wick.

Both combustion gas and exhaust steam exit through the chimney.

The model is from the T. E. Haynes book "Model Engineering for Schools - Book 1, Steam Engine and Boiler".

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
22/09/2021 16:38:14

Thank you ndiy, not one I'd seen before.

A somewhat different looking machine. Presumably made in the ROC and rebadged. However, it still doesn't come complete with bench space, so I think I'm going to have to make my own. It's called a trolley I believe.

21/09/2021 08:25:42

Hello Jason,

Thank you for that, I didn't know such a thing existed, but at half the price of the bandsaw, it's quite a price for what appears to be a sheet metal tube.

20/09/2021 11:28:46

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. I had looked at the FEMI bandsaw and other similar models, but none came complete with bench space, so a stand mounted machine it will have to be.

19/09/2021 16:51:42

Hi All,

I need a small metal cutting bandsaw. Tried the LIDL one, but I guess you get what you're prepared to pay for. Took it back and got a refund.

Has anyone had any experience with the Warco CY90 3.5" Mitre Arm Bandsaw.

It's the right size and comes with a stand, so I won't have to find bench room for it. Could fit a couple of wheels to move it around.

I quite like their 4 1/2" one, especially with the additional table, but it's just a little too big for my needs and workshop space.

Thread: Recommended Vice for Double Swivel Milling Slide
15/09/2021 09:01:49

Good morning William,

I have that style of slide for my WM250 and use Warco milling slide vice item No. 9071.

You may be able to adapt the Warco milling slide base plate to fit your milling slide.

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
14/09/2021 08:24:41

Surely having a plastic bag all in one piece is better than a so called bio-degradable one that ends up in millions of tiny digestible fragments. After all, the tiny fragments are not going to just disappear immediately.

Thread: Help identifying some tools
10/09/2021 21:42:24

Edited By Bo'sun on 10/09/2021 21:54:38

10/09/2021 21:38:25
Posted by Howard Lewis on 10/09/2021 19:12:45:

The micrometers are Drum types. The large diameter barrel allows the graduations to be wide apart, so that they can be subdivided, probably into tenths of a thou instead of thous on an normal micrometer barrel.

Possibly, they came from Height Micrometers.

The Budenberg tester is used to calibrate pressure gauges.

The various pressures are obtained by loading a disc of known specific weight onto the plunger with the gauge to be calibrated fitted to the connection. The pump is then used to increase the pressure, until the weight just "floats"

This allows the gauge reading to be compared with what it should be, and corrected if need be..

This procedure is repeated for each increment of the gauge graduations; probably in 10 psi steps.

It is very good piece of kit, if all the weights are there. There should be at least ten, to cover from 10 psi upto 100 psi.

The electrical device, Pye Scientific Instruments is used to check Thermocouples, to measure their ouput, and again, to calibrate a electronic temperature measuring set up (Thermocouple connected to a sensitive moving coil meter, measuring milliVolts, but probably graduated in degrees C. )

All this stuff, including the Toolmakers cabinet should be quite valuable. Most of it would have come from a Standards Room, or Cakibration Room, and would have been very carefully looked after..

The kind of kit that one would be a joy to own, but have no actual immediate use for it! (On a shelf, I have two drum micrometers for which I have yet to find a use )

Howard Fat fingers strike again!

Edited By Howard Lewis on 10/09/2021 19:14:55

Edited By Bo'sun on 10/09/2021 21:41:39

Edited By Bo'sun on 10/09/2021 21:58:05

10/09/2021 10:27:36

Hi Jay,

No. 1 look like a very accurate micrometer heads, hence the large barrel that can accommodate more graduations.

No. 4 is for probably for calibrating pressure transducers and pressure gauges, using calibrated weights (hence the "dead weight" and an accurately made piston/cylinder assembly.

Thread: Lathe Vertical Milling Slide
10/09/2021 09:29:00

Good morning William,

Have a look at "Ades Workshop" on YouTube. He has a WM180 and used a milling slide to make his QCTP. I'm sure if you contact him, he'll tell you where it came from. If I recall, he also made a base plate for it.

Thread: It would be nice to know........
09/09/2021 10:44:56

I think you need to consider cutter heads, that have "screw on" arbours. Running in reverse may cause them to unscrew.

Thread: Wringing gauge blocks together... in a vacuum
08/09/2021 16:58:48

From my trade school days with FMC, "inter-molecular cohesion" sounds familiar. Sorry, but it was a while ago, so any explanation has long gone. Probably into the corners of the workshop with all the dropped nuts, screws & washers.

Thread: Parafin blowlamp
06/09/2021 15:16:19

As Nick Hughes has suggested, "Base Camp" are an excellent source of all the things you need to keep your pressure stoves, lamps, etc in working order.

Thread: Type 2 precision vice from Arc euro
06/09/2021 12:34:45

While on the subject of the ARC type 2 vice, does anyone know why the moveable jaw on my 70mm version is 0.030mm narrower than the fixed jaw, because ARC don't seem to know, and according to ARC, they are all the same.

I assumed it was to prevent the moveable jaw from binding if the vice is used on it's side, but apparently not.

I was asked, why would I use the vice on it's side? To clamp a longish workpiece vertically, where, in the normal position, the jaw depth is too shallow. Or, make use of the longer vee groove in the vertical position.

It doesn't affect the function of the vice, I was just curious.

Thread: Looking for a compact and safe mains lead connector
01/09/2021 17:10:38
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 31/08/2021 18:35:32:

Thanks for the further input yes

Just to show the scale of the problem, here’s a quick snapshot of the unit:

9c54e66e-7805-4740-a278-f282296da462.jpeg

It came crammed into a surprisingly small cardboard box … but there’s no way I would want to use that for storage.

What I was hoping to do is snip the lead at about 9” from the Heyco strain relief, and insert a pluggable [and preferably locking] connecter with a much more flexible mains lead. … then I would be able to store the two separately.

MichaelG.

I see I'm not the only one that finds "coiled & bound" mains lead infuriating.

A slight deviation from the OP, but maybe useful to us all. Has anyone found a reliable way to straighten such leads. I've tried soaking in hot water (unplugged of course) and hanging it weighted in the airing cupboard with, in the main, poor results.

In many cases I have resorted to rewiring with fresh cable from a drum.

Thread: Dickson tool post
01/09/2021 11:32:06

The tongues on my Warco QRTP are round, and I have every reason to believe, it's not a Dickson one.

Thread: Cutting Brass Sheet
01/09/2021 10:27:28

InaT,

By jewellers saw, do you mean a piercing saw?

Thread: Dickson tool post
01/09/2021 10:23:29
Posted by Clive Foster on 01/09/2021 09:40:38:

Bob

Round tongue on the locking device is usually a pretty good indicator that its a genuine Dickson.

Clive

My Warco QCTP has round tongues, and I have every reason to believe, it's not a genuine Dickson type.

Thread: Sheet metal saw.
01/09/2021 07:51:32

Yes, as I replied to Jason, it's somewhat less frantic.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate