By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New member in the Scottish Borders
17/06/2020 12:40:35

Pardon?

17/06/2020 11:33:23

I think the extra plastic gear is a spare. It acts like a shear bolt or fuse should something jam. Rather than breaking lots more bits, you just replace one plastic gear.

I like the idea of looking at the other importers. Anyone know who badges the same machine as the WM240? "Precision Matthews" in the States look similar to Warco, but don't appear to have one like the WM240.

17/06/2020 10:15:52
Posted by David George 1 on 04/04/2020 07:15:27:

Hi Jager,

The left hand threading facility is just that you can cut a left hand thread by inserting an extra gear into the gear train, on the headstock, to make the leadscrew rotate in the opposite direction.

David

Good morning David,

I'm sure this will result in some pertinent replies, but if it were that simple, you'd have thought Warco would know how to do it, or at least show it in the manual.

17/06/2020 10:05:50
Posted by David George 1 on 04/04/2020 07:15:27:

Deleted.  Repeated below.

Edited By Bo'sun on 17/06/2020 10:20:34

Edited By Bo'sun on 17/06/2020 10:21:29

Thread: Wot's this for ? help please
17/06/2020 09:25:15

I agree, the "C" clip groove might be obscured by the bearing.

Thread: New member in the Scottish Borders
17/06/2020 06:54:58

Good morning Jager,

This is something I intend to take up again with Warco when we next communicate. My machine is due to be replaced shortly (when they're back in stock), due to a damaged bedway where the fixed steady wasn't secured correctly for transport, a non-functioning carriage lock and a damaged splash guard (admittedly, the damaged guard wasn't their fault, it was damaged in transit).

I have to admit though, give Warco some credit, I've had no issue with them agreeing to replace the machine (that was of course 10 weeks ago). Plus, they were OK with me using the machine I have until the replacement arrives. So, a cautionary thumbs up for the time being, assuming the issue with cutting left hand threads can be resolved.

Have you tried lubricating the left hand lead screw bearing with the supplied oil can? The control panel obscures the oil port. I'm not even sure that an oil can with a flexible spout would help.

I'll keep you posted.

Thread: Boring swarf
16/06/2020 12:47:08

Well yes, it's not particularly interesting, but after completing some deep, small hole boring recently, I suddenly became interested in swarf.

Because of the particular operation, I ended up with quite a lot of swarf down the spindle bore. Coat hangers, bits of rag, etc, worked to a point. Then the light bulb moment, what about a bottle brush? Bingo, a 40mm x 510 bottle brush from RS components. Cleans the spindle bore and chuck jaws perfectly.

Hope this is useful?

Thread: Wooden Gears
16/06/2020 07:03:17

As I understand it, most woods will carve or cleave better when they're green, as the cellulose in the structure is still essentially liquid. As the wood dries out, the cellulose hardens and the moisture dries out, gluing the cells together, making some timbers like concrete.

14/06/2020 15:58:48

Another vote for Hornbeam and Fruit woods. Lignum Vitae would be a good choice, although a little expensive and not that easy to get hold of except as Woodturning blanks. The "self lubricating" properties of LV could be useful, but as a consequence, make it difficult to glue.

Interesting project, keep us posted on progress.

Thread: Drilling very long holes
13/06/2020 14:34:18

Good afternoon Windy,

If EN24t isn't critical, it might be worth trying thses guys.

**LINK**

Thread: Storage of files
12/06/2020 09:31:24

Mine are all in a draw together, and yes, some will say they'll get damaged knocking together, but in all honesty, I've not noticed any deterioration. Keeping your files clean of chips will probably be more beneficial. That's not to say there's anything wrong with ordered files and a tidy workshop. Perhaps I'll give it a go some day!

Any thoughts on using chalk to help with chip removal? A school teacher many years ago was a great advocate of the idea.

Thread: Drill sharpening?
11/06/2020 12:48:21

Thanks Paul,

I take it you're refering to a CBN wheel? Yes, that would address the issue of using the side of the wheel (that's assuming I can find one to replace the 150 x 20 x 20 existing wheel). Even then, the Picador style grinding fixture leaves a little to be desired.

Thread: rivet squeezer castings
11/06/2020 12:36:37

Hi,

Not quite sure what you mean by "castings for rivet closing tools" specifically, but Chronos sell Snap Head rivet setting and forming tools. Are they the same thing? I've just bought a pair for 1/16" Snap Head rivets.

Thread: Drill sharpening?
11/06/2020 11:30:58

Good morning All,

Yes, I know I should learn to do it by hand, but it's one of those things, if you don't re-sharpen drills that often, it's difficult to master. The smaller sizes I just replace when required

I've got a "Picador" style drill sharpener, but I'm not keen on using the side of the wheel, plus, I will inevitably need to re-dress the side of the wheel at some stage.. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced alternative?

Thread: Hermes Parcels
10/06/2020 08:21:00
Posted by Bo'sun on 10/06/2020 08:20:00:

It seems that we're not the only ones that have trouble with Mermes. Just don't put FRAGILE labels on anything! It's like a "red rag to a bull". Mind you, having said that Parcelforce aren't much better. Oh. and don't mention UPS.

Oops! Hermes, not Mermes.

10/06/2020 08:20:00

It seems that we're not the only ones that have trouble with Mermes. Just don't put FRAGILE labels on anything! It's like a "red rag to a bull". Mind you, having said that Parcelforce aren't much better. Oh. and don't mention UPS.

Thread: Cutting Oil
09/06/2020 08:53:56

Cutting oil and flood coolant are two different materials, and as I understand it, both perform a similar function. They keep the work and tool cool(ish), with flood coolant clearly working better. They also help to prevent material build-up on the face of the tool. Flood coolant is probably the way to go, but it can be messy, not all machines are suitable to accept a flood coolant system, and the coolant will need replacing periodically. Flood coolant can also make it difficult to see what's going on at the cutting face. Maybe a debatable question, but which products do people find work the best?

Thread: Keeping Shop clean
07/06/2020 09:46:01

While they might not trap fine wood dust, etc, I would have thought the filter(s) in a shop vac to be fine enough to trap metal filings and dust.

Thread: Ford Quadricycle
06/06/2020 17:38:46

It was the best training I ever had. I still use many of the skills I learnt, especially "bench fitting", although it was never one of my favourite sections at the time. Sawing, filing, checking, more filing, more checking..................Oh bugger, filled off too much!

Never knew 'arry Buckle, although I suspect he was just like the instructors I knew.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world. A pity there are so few (if any?) similar opportunities available to young lads today.

06/06/2020 09:01:53

1972 - 1974.

I still remember some of the instructors - Ernie Pearson, John Magllenan (AKA Plug), Dave Rutland, Wally Goodman, Micky Walsh and many others........... Not forgetting Mary in the canteen.

Halcyon days, when apprenticeships were real apprenticeships and you learnt a useful trade.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest