By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Planer Blades
20/01/2021 10:04:52
Posted by Clive B 1 on 19/01/2021 22:17:09:

Thanks for the reply’s guys

Bo’sun, you are talking some serious cash for segmental spiral cutter blocks, I was looking to find out how to replace the cutter block bearings on my machine and I came across this video

**LINK**

which makes very interesting viewing for anyone who has a Kity 636.

Yes Clive, they are a considerable investment, but if you do enough work with them, they may well pay their way. At least if you hit something hard, you don't wreck each blade, and only have to index the inserts and you're back in business.

They are also said to produce a better finish. I guess the spiral design eliminates the corrugated finish from poorly adjusted blades.

19/01/2021 10:21:30

I'd stick with HSS rather than TC unless you are machining especially hard timbers and can be sure the timber is free of debris (nails, stones, etc) . A chipped HSS blade is much cheaper to salvage than TC.

I use HSS on my Kity 1637 to good effect, keeping two spare sets so that I can continue to work while chipped blades are reground.

My last blade purchase was from "Woodford Woodworking Machinery & Tooling" at a very reasonable price.

I haven't researched, but I suspect segmented spiral cutter blocks aren't available for old KITY machines?

Thread: Telescopic Bore Gauges
18/01/2021 17:45:26

Thanks everyone for your input. I was considering the Kennedy ones because they were sort of mid-priced (and from what I found, the only mid-priced ones). All the others are very cheap or relatively expensive.

18/01/2021 13:07:42

Hello,

I want to buy a set of Telescopic Bore Gauges. There are scores of sub 20 quid ones from China, and those I've handled were somewhat rough and graunchy as you might expect. There are also those from Starrett, Mitutoyo, Moore & Wright, etc, starting at around 150 quid.

Kennedy have some around the 80 quid mark. Does anyone have experience of these? Or any others around this price?

Thread: Lathe Tool Height
18/01/2021 11:53:07

I like the idea of using shims made from drinks cans. It just means I'll have to drink more beer.

18/01/2021 09:43:58

What about pieces of hacksaw blade with the set ground off?

Thread: New ways to skin a cat
17/01/2021 10:48:06

Interesting. Watched it last night.

Thread: Instructions
16/01/2021 12:14:54

Google translator maybe?

Thread: Digital Height Gauge Recommendations?
16/01/2021 12:10:57

Maybe a good compromise would be a mechanically driven (no batteries) digital display, rather than an electronic/LCD one. I've seen micrometers with this set-up, but I don't recall seeing it on a height gauge.

16/01/2021 10:35:36

Another "thumbs up" for the Vernier Height Gauge. Got a great Rabone & Chesterman 12"/30mm model on Ebay for £52.00. With digital instruments, I always find myself questioning the zero setting.

Thread: Tubal Caine Wenceslas
16/01/2021 10:30:49

More than one Tubal Cain then?

Thread: Warco 290v
15/01/2021 15:34:18

Why am I not surprised it's not in the manual? Most of the useful information isn't. At least with the WM240 & WM250 anyway. Both were several iterations out of date! OK for those familiar with the fine art of metal turning I guess, but what about the learners?

Thread: Schraeder valve threads
13/01/2021 15:45:29

Going off topic, but don't forget Woods/Dunlop valves.

Thread: 3D printing for investment casting article MEW 300
09/01/2021 15:55:22

Will 3D printing produce a decent surface finish for investment casting? I know some who have tried making patterns from a 3D printer for Petrobond (or green sand for that matter) casting, but the rough surface finish inhibits pattern withdrawal. I'm guessing that post print surface finishing isn't possible?

Thread: airfield white lines - is there a quick way ?
09/01/2021 10:38:04

You can get two and four wheeled line markers that hold an inverted can of marking paint, and spray between two masking discs to get the line width as you walk. The four wheeled version is more stable, keeps the can at the same angle, and will stand on it's own when you stop.

Hope this is helpful.

Thread: Removing powder coating finish from metal.
08/01/2021 16:38:40
Posted by old mart on 08/01/2021 15:13:50:

Paint stripper might work, but the modern formulations are not as good as the older types. Only a test area can tell.

You ought to find out what type of blasting would be used, bicycle frame tubing is very thin wall.

Edited By old mart on 08/01/2021 15:15:51

Tube thickness will depend on the bike quality. Cheap bikes will almost certainly be high tensile plain gauge steel (non-butted) so not much of a problem there. Not sure that butted cro-moly would be too much of an issue either. I'd be a little wary though, with hydro formed aluminium. My Specialized S-Works M5 sounds pretty thin in places when you tap it.

Thread: Car Identity
08/01/2021 10:32:52
Posted by Oily Rag on 08/01/2021 10:29:12:

Going from left to right - Triumph Herald 13/40 convertible, Austin Maxi Hi Line 1750, and then a rather rare Bertone styled Lancia Fulvia Coupe. Even rarer now as most of these resorted back to their base constituants i.e iron ore, 5 years after being manufactured.

I'd go for the Herald as the best car in that group!

Yep, Lancia, typical Italian rubbish.

08/01/2021 10:32:29
Posted by Oily Rag on 08/01/2021 10:29:12:

Going from left to right - Triumph Herald 13/40 convertible, Austin Maxi Hi Line 1750, and then a rather rare Bertone styled Lancia Fulvia Coupe. Even rarer now as most of these resorted back to their base constituants i.e iron ore, 5 years after being manufactured.

I'd go for the Herald as the best car in that group!

Yep, Lancia, typical Italian rubbish.

Thread: Another Telephone / Computer scam?
07/01/2021 10:36:20

Yep, had the same sort of call about a fault with my BT Broadband, and I don't even have BT Broadband.

Thread: Carriage stop/dial gauge mount.
06/01/2021 11:45:38

Thanks Dave, but most of that has gone completely over my head, but I think I get your drift. Not into any of those things you mentioned at the end.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest