By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Liquid shim (or similar)
25/06/2020 08:28:53

Aluminium beer cans work well as shims and "work protectors", but don't use the stuff too near the bottom of the can, as it can be slightly thicker due to the manufacturing process (impact extrusion I think). To be sure, get the mic out!

The best bit is, you have to drink more beer.

Thread: North Yorkshire Logging In
23/06/2020 17:12:36

Hello Brian,

Welcome to the forum..

I'm building a Hot Air Engine that I first built at secondary school in 1972. It's nearing completion (pending arrival of a replacement lathe), so I'll post some pictures when it's finished.

Thread: Digital angle gauges
22/06/2020 07:33:51

I think they are OK for woodwork and some basic metal work, but as a metrology instrument I think I'd be looking elsewhere. Like a lot of digital instruments, I've found they need regular re-zeroing to inspire confidence. Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for (generally).

Thread: Unknown thread
21/06/2020 16:33:36

Concur rear axle cycle thread.

Thread: What’s best glue for joining wood to PVC pipe?
21/06/2020 15:02:06

Hi Simon,

I'm no expert, but here goes. Roughen the PVC pipe to get a key, and try some polyurethane glue. A little experimentation would be prudent. As for primer, my guess would be an etch primer. Epoxy will tend to find it's own level to some extent, so I'd be inclined to use a 2 part wood or car body filler, or maybe some form of caulk, depending on the intended purpose.

Thread: Lollipop maybe?
20/06/2020 16:58:00

Thank you Nicholas,

That just about confirms the vote for a magnifier. As they say, "nature abhors a void", so I've ordered a 2" magnifying glass to fill the void.

Thank you Michael,

I had considered length bars, but unlikely to find a 1.5" one. If I can't find the real thing, I'll try a 2" length bar and shift the zeroing point 0.5" upwards. Better than nothing, and a bit more fiddly, but hey ho. I presume 1.5" is because that's the bottom graduation on the imperial scale.

20/06/2020 14:50:47

Thanks again everybody,

Looks like the vote goes to a magnifier. All I've got to do now is find one. While an original magnifier would be nice (if that's what goes in the recess of course), I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a suitable one. It would have to be hand held, as there's nowhere to attach it to the slider.

Along with a magnifier, I'm on the lookout for a 1.5" calibration block. While I can sort of check zero with the cranked scriber set under the arm (1.0" for the scriber + 0.5" for the arm) against the reference surface, it's not ideal. If you're not very careful, you start jacking the base upwards.

20/06/2020 11:43:40

I certainly wouldn't discount the idea of a magnifier (a good idea with my eyesight), but why the open end to the slot?

20/06/2020 09:18:16

Good morning,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Regarding Robert Butler's suggestion of a test slip, I'm not sure I fully understand. Test slips appear to be 1.5" pillar shaped affairs. I do however, seem to be short of a test slip, unless the cranked scriber is supplied in lieu, enabling calibration straight from the reference surface.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I contacted the seller, and apparently it belonged to a senior Marine Engineer who served in the forces between 1940 & 1950. It also bears what I assume to be an asset number 471-0315/7.

19/06/2020 17:12:44
Posted by Mike Crossfield on 19/06/2020 16:41:17:

Rather puzzling.

I have the same height gauge in its fitted box with all accessories. The box and accessories differ from Bosun’s example. Mine has pretty much the accessories described in Stevegtr’s advert: a scribe, a depth probe, separate clamps for the scribe and probe, and a 1 1/2 inch height standard. All the accessories fit into vertical recesses, rather than cutouts. Does make one wonder if Bosun’s box is original.

I'm pretty sure the box is original. While the blue elliptical label isn't in particularly good condition, you can definately make out Rabone & Chesterman around the bottom edge of it.

19/06/2020 16:51:23
Posted by old mart on 18/06/2020 19:56:40:

Round master gauge block sounds likely, from Steviegtr's post. It probably fitted where the blued item is and that fitted in the lollipop cutout.

I can see where you're coming from, but the lollipop shaped recess is massively oversized for the probe clamp.

I was beginning to wonder if it was an original R&C box, but after critical examination of what's left of the blue elliptical label, it's definately Rabone & Chesterman.

Not that I think I'll ever need the elusive lollipop, I'm just curious, possibly bordering on the obsessive now.

Any suggestions where I can buy a obtain a suitable calibration block?

18/06/2020 18:59:56
Posted by Derek Lane on 18/06/2020 17:33:54:

Can I ask what is the piece lower right in the compartments do you have a photo of that.

The lower right piece is the clamp for the depth probe.

Nick,

According to the seller, the box is original, but like yourself I found lots of others in varnished boxes with the accessories as you say.

18/06/2020 17:16:39

Hi Michael,

Yes, I'd considered that, but as you say, the recess isn't deep enough (at least not for a 1.5" gauge block). And the long slot?

It doesn't appear that a gauge block would have been part of the package anyway, as there's nowhere for it to go.

I think it would need a skinny gauge stem to fit in the probe clamp.  It only looks to be about 1/8" dia. or so.

Hey Ho, I'm sure we'll get there in the end.

Edited By Bo'sun on 18/06/2020 17:19:59

18/06/2020 16:37:47

Oops... Maybe not utilising the probe mount. Nothing else will fit in the clamp.

18/06/2020 16:28:47

Mmm.... that sounds more plausible. Possibly utilising the probe mount.

18/06/2020 16:04:20

As I said, being as there's no location for a suitable clamp, I'm not convinced the recess is for a dial indicator.

According to the seller, it's the original box, but I can't find anything similar on the web.

The seller just stated that one part was missing. I had considered asking him, but as he's an antiques dealer, I doubt whether he'd know. No disrespect for antiques dealers of course.

18/06/2020 14:55:14

Afternoon All,

Just bought a R&C No.369 Vernier Height Gauge. Anyone know what would have gone in the lollipop shaped hole? I though it may be for a lever type dial gauge, but would need some form of clamp, which there doesn't appear to be a home for, so maybe not.

Vintage-Rabone-Chesterman-No-369-Height-Gauge-Vernier-in-box

Thread: White wheel for bench grinder ?
18/06/2020 09:26:02

Hi,

Don't forget, a smaller diameter wheel will result in a more concaved profile on your cutting tools.

Thread: WM180 lathe
17/06/2020 16:27:27

Well, you learn something new every day. I don't have any "un-tanged" tailstock tooling. I'm just careful not to wind back the quill too vigorously. But I have noticed that my revolving centre is fitted with a Button Head Screw, extending it by about 3mm. Seems to work OK, giving pretty much full quill travel on my WM240.

Thanks.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
17/06/2020 16:09:25

And there was I. thinking you were referring to the resumption of football. No football for me has been the best bit about this awful pandemic. I'll now have to go back to watching paint dry. While not whiling the hours away in the workshop of course.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest