By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hermes in action - Lost parcel ?
28/01/2021 15:43:35

You generally get what you pay for, and I'm guessing that Ebay (and other) sellers are getting Hermes shipping at an attractive rate. The trouble is, it's us, the buyers that get the bad deal.

28/01/2021 14:15:12

Looks about standard for Hermes.

Thread: What machine tools are these?
28/01/2021 10:48:55

Another vote for planishing hammer. 8 kids (or thereabouts) and planishing hammers at school made for one hell of a racket. No ear defenders in those days. "What was that you said".

Thread: Cracked motor mounting plate
28/01/2021 10:41:09

Hello,

As I understand it, welding Cast Iron requires some experience. Best take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Thread: Help with Tilley Lamps
28/01/2021 09:32:55
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 28/01/2021 00:05:02:

I

The other is genuine and had been kept by an uncle who had been a Nottinghamshire miner. Unfortunately its metal label is missing. There is something of a knack to lighting it, as if you put the casing straight on and screw it down the flame dies out. It seems to need a few moments held open a little to warm the "chimney". It does not give much light but I think was a type used primarily as a gas indicator rather than work illuminant.

Good morning Nigel,

Might there be something missing from your safety lamp? My Eccles "Protector" safety lamp has an enclosed flint ignitor that doesn't require the lamp to be taken apart before lighting. It can therefor bet fueled-up, and the padlock applied before going down the mine (or whatever). I believe these lamps, as you say, were for gas detection, rather than illumination. The relatively small flame would ensure minimum fuel consumption.

Bo'sun

27/01/2021 10:57:27

Thank you Clive, I'll see what I can find locally.

Thread: Milling machine enclosure
26/01/2021 17:06:53

Have a look at Frank Hoose on You Tube, "mini mill chip enclosure". He also makes a plastic sheet bender to assist construction.

Thread: Help with Tilley Lamps
26/01/2021 09:18:36

Good morning All,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

It all seemed to go pear shaped when "Esso Blue" became impossible to get locally, so I'm erring towards the fuel. However, as suggested, checking and/or changing the seals, etc will be prudent to start with. I've ordered a couple of seal kits, so I'll update this post in due course.

25/01/2021 17:22:48

Hello br,

As I said to Rik, buying standard paraffin (in small quantities anyway) doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Garages don't have it, and the likes of B&Q have put the Ironmonger out of business. I guess, depending on where you are, it's not used a great deal anymore. The Tilley lamp does seem more fickle than the Primus stove.

25/01/2021 17:04:19

Hi Rik,

Easier said than done. Bog standard Paraffin doesn't seem to exist. At least not around here anymore. I've tried greenhouse Paraffin, but that was even worse. Back in the "good old days", Esso Blue and Alladin Pink worked fine.

25/01/2021 16:48:16

Good evening,

I have two X246B Tilley Lamps (circa 1980). They have always given good service, but now not so much.

Each one has a new vapouriser tube (not that there looked to be anything wrong with the old ones), a new mantle, and is running on CALDO "Paraffin Extra" (extra low sulphur) Paraffin.

However, they burn with warm rather than bright light, with small flames at the top of the mantle. Despite plenty of pressure they tend to pulsate a little.

Any suggestions and comments appreciated.

Thread: Chuck
24/01/2021 10:59:54

If it's for woodturning, it's almost certainly going to be a self centring 4 jaw chuck.

Thread: How not to use a clamp
23/01/2021 09:46:06

Sounds like petty criticism for the sake of it.

Thread: Any information greatly appreciated 1
21/01/2021 09:52:57

Another vote for Hot Air/Sterling Engine.

The heat source look quite novel. Be prepared to wait a while for it to warm-up, cool the cold end of the transfer cylinder, experiment with the direction of rotation and give it some lubrication. For what it's worth, my engine (a different model) flywheel rotates anti-clockwise when viewed as in the image.

Thread: Oil for gearbox
21/01/2021 09:44:08

While it might be tempting to use a higher viscosity gear oil like EP80/EP90, bear in mind there might be some "splash" lubrication involved. As the gearbox will run relatively cool, splash lubrication might not happen with the higher viscosity. I've heard of people using a high viscosity oil in an attempt to reduce noise.

Thread: Any information greatly appreciated. 2
21/01/2021 09:37:46

Another vote for a comparator stand. For inspection room use rather than production. Production comparators would have the reference surface incorporated into the instrument. The name Sigma seems to ring a bell.

Thread: Planer Blades
20/01/2021 14:54:11

Good afternoon,

Sorry to sidetrack a little, but as there seems to be some KITY owners here, any idea if spares are still available? I seem to recall hearing that Sheppach may be involved. Not that I need anything (yet), but it seemed a good idea to ask.

Thread: Telescopic Bore Gauges
20/01/2021 11:20:09

Good morning,

I'm still looking for some TBG's and found some Kennedy ones marked "KENNEDY ENGLAND". Might that be a little white lie, or even a big fat fib? I may be wrong, but I assumed most of this kit came from the Far East. I guess you can print what you like on stuff (or can you?), but whether it's right or wrong is another matter.

Thread: removing ball oilers
20/01/2021 10:11:37

I've used screw extractors to good effect. A magnetic pick-up tool can be useful to make sure there isn't any broken spring in the hole. Any brass swarf might be a little more difficult, although tiny spoon ended dental picks can come to the rescue.

Thread: Surface/ Marking out plates
20/01/2021 10:05:58

Lapping plate for me too.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest